AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My VPH-1251Q is acting up. Most of the time when I power it up the picture is severely out of convergence. I re-converged it and it was fine until the next time I powered it up, the out of whack again. The digital values did not change, so I do not think it is a memory problem. When it comes up bad, I get a momentary 08 error code on power up. When it comes up good, no error code. I know that an 08 is a 15 volt fault (I have the service manual). I know that if you are pushing the convergence circuits too hard that this fault can occur. However the convergence had not been significantly changed in years (so why all of a sudden). My guess is a capacitor on the M2 15 volt power supply is going bad. Anyone out there seen this problem or have a suggestion?

Since the 1251 is acting up I got out my backup VPH-1030Q1. That now has a power up problem! If I bring it up slowly by using a variable AC input transformer, I can get it going. Starting at about 80 VAC the 100 volt DC test point TP1 on the DA board (or DB?) Shows about 98 volts. As I ease up the AC input voltage using my external variable transformer to 90 VAC the DC voltage goes to 103 volts and the set shuts down. Sometimes the DC regulator will kick in and the DC stays at a solid 96 volts even when I bring the AC up to 120 volts (and the unit works fine). I do not have a complete service manual to trouble shoot the regulator circuit further. The only freely available download I could find is an incomplete manual for a 1031Q. Anyone have a complete manual for a 1030Q1 that I can download?

Any tips from past experience on either projector?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
I thought they all did code 08 on power up for a second or so. Could be wrong though.

·
Registered
262 Posts
on the 1251 is there an onboard battery that holds the settings? i have not looked into one in years!

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
I have $.02 on both sets, making it $.04.

If you're getting an overall shift of the convergence, then you have problems on the V deflection board most likely. Are all three colors out in both H and V direction, or has one color just shifted up or down or sideways?

For the Sony 1031, you have bad voltage regulators most likely. THose are four 'chips' in the power supply that have pins on one end only, and stand upright. I have not been able to source these from Sony, they've been discontinued. It woulc be bad electrolytics on the power supply, but I doubt it.

Note that this is a switching power supply, and should not really be used on a Variac, you could nuke it worse...

Curt

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mark_A_W was correct I guess about 08 coming on sometimes for a second at power up being normal. It was just a coincidence yesterday that when I did not see 08 the picture was normal on my Sony Vph1251. When it powers up bad, the blue raster is distorted (see attached picture)and the blue is way out, but the red and green have normal shaped rasters. If I power it off and on a few times, the blue raster comes on normally shaped and the convergence is good. Anyone seen this before? (BTW- There are no batteries that I could find)

The VPH1030Q1 obviously has a regulator problem. If Curt is correct (and I hope he is not) the part to fix it may be obsolete. If that is the case I will try to get a full service manual and update the circuit with a newer design single chip variable DC power regulator and adjust it for the proper DC voltage level. Anyone have a full service manual or spare parts?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did a complete resetup from the factory defaults the other night. So far the convergence is holding fine. Maybe I was pushing the convergence circuits too hard before.

Attached is a picture projected on my wall that I took last night. The picture is a 1080i image frozen on my 10 foot white wall from the VPH1251Q. The source is a HiPix file in the pause mode. My digital camera was set for a one second exposure and was hand held. (A tripod may have been better)

Bill

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
That's a hell of a concert and I recorded it also.

Since that concert was on public broadcasting is a HD recording of it public domain and free to distribute? Just curious, I really don't know, but I know some people who would love to get a copy... Both pic and sound are great and there's maybe only one song I don't really care for.

Troy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.