AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a suggestion, if lots of us call and ask questions and complain it can't hurt the cause. Based on the DTLA/DTCP adopter agreement any HDTV content that is not tagged as copy freely will be image constrained to what is looking like 540p unless your display equipment is 5c/FW or DVI/HDCP enabled. No sony projector currently is so help save your HD component content.

Product Operational Support Center (POSC) at 1-800-883-6817.

Regards,

Brian

·
Premium Member
7,246 Posts
I called them a month ago, several times. They acted like they did not know anything about 5c or I-link as they call it. I said," Well you put it on your HDTV sets so how is it that you don't know about it?" Answer,"Corporate handles those decisions. We don't know anything about that." Me,"Well how can I get in touch with someone at corporate?" Answer," I don't know, sorry, is there anything else that I can help you with?" Screw Sony. Before Infocomm. I asked several folks to ask Sony about this. Result, most went to infocomm and did not ask. One dealer who did ask, was told by Sony rep that he had no idea.

------------------

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

·
Premium Member
7,246 Posts
Oh, I also called Sanyo about the PLV 60 and was given the same kind of "We don't know what you are talking about" run-around. Called 3 days straight, no one could answer question. Just said that they did not know about any sort of copy protection. Also had dealer ask at Infocom. You guessed it, "We do not know about a digital connection." Now watch both of these companies add digital connections to their stuff. Liars!

------------------

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Maybe this isnt effective yet.. it could still be getting debated over.. i think all these manufacturers would of put out something by now if it was happening right away.. not even the newest ones that i know of have it.. so thats gotta tell u something

chris

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by xris2o0o:
Maybe this isnt effective yet.. it could still be getting debated over.. i think all these manufacturers would of put out something by now if it was happening right away.. not even the newest ones that i know of have it.. so thats gotta tell u something

chris
What is still being debated? Here is the verbiage right from the adopter agreement the content providers and equipment makers are signing. This is the contract they are agreeing, you can stick you head in the sand and hope, but here are the facts.

Regards,

Brian

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Constrained Image†shall mean an image having the visual equivalent of no more than 520,000 pixels per frame (e.g., an image with resolution of 960 pixels by 540 pixels for a 16:9 aspect ratio). A Constrained Image may be attained by reducing resolution, for example, by discarding, dithering, or averaging pixels to obtain the specified value. A Constrained Image can be displayed using video processing techniques such as line doubling or sharpening to improve the perceived quality of the image. By way of example, a Constrained Image may be stretched or doubled, and displayed full-screen, on a 1000-line monitor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

4.3 High Definition Analog Output. Licensed Products shall not pass Decrypted DT Data to a High Definition Analog Output, except as set forth in this Section 4.3:

4.3.1 Licensed Products may pass Decrypted DT Data to a High Definition Analog Output as a Constrained Image.

4.3.2 Licensed Products that recognize and respond to the Image Constraint Token in accordance with the Specification may pass Decrypted DT Data to an output in High Definition Analog Form when authorized by the setting of the Image Constraint Token.

4.3.3 Licensed Products incorporated into Computer Products may pass Copy One Generation or No More Copies Decrypted DT Data without image constraint to SVGA (1024x768 and greater), XGA(1024x768), SXGA and UXGA or similar computer video outputs that were widely implemented as of May 1, 2001 (but not to such typical consumer electronics outputs as NTSC, PAL, SECAM, SCART, YUV, S-Video and consumer RGB, whether or not such outputs are found on any Computer Product) in High Definition Analog Form for devices manufactured prior to December 31, 2005, unless otherwise

notified by DTLA.

4.3.4 Licensed Products may pass Decrypted DT Data in High Definition Analog Form to a High Definition Analog Output where such Decrypted DT Data is encoded Copy Freely.

Read the entire agreement here.
http://www.dtcp.com/data/DTCP_Adopte...ment010730.PDF

·
Registered
976 Posts
Sorry for not knowing my facts.. Since you seem to know more than me, why arent there many products with the inputs? I saw the the Seleco HT250 I beleive has one. Some flat screens I know of have them.. Thats about it. From what i read on that site it sounds like only pay per view, video on demand and premium channels are affected.. Now does premium include HBo/Max/etc and all direct tv channels? If not then Im not affected because i never use ppv, or vod..

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by xris2o0o:
Sorry for not knowing my facts.. Since you seem to know more than me, why arent there many products with the inputs? I saw the the Seleco HT250 I beleive has one. Some flat screens I know of have them.. Thats about it. From what i read on that site it sounds like only pay per view, video on demand and premium channels are affected.. Now does premium include HBo/Max/etc and all direct tv channels? If not then Im not affected because i never use ppv, or vod..
The reason you have not seen any equipment yet was the primary content and equipment makers just agreed on this. While no projectors yet Sony has announced new WEGAs with this technology.

PPV and premium channels copy protection status, that is the $64,000 question. The agreement is clear that only copy freely may be presented in HD on our existing analog equipment. It is complete speculation if content providers will require premium channels to be copy protected. I want Sony to retrofit our projectors or change the agreement to grandfather the existing analog technology. It was my thinking that if we make noise now while it is a potential problem we may be able prevent it from becoming a real problem.

Regards,

Brian

[This message has been edited by btmoore (edited 08-01-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.