AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All:

I'm guessing this experience with Sony is an outlier - most folks are probably outrageously happy with their purchase - I know in terms of picture quality I love my Sony Projectors.

But...

My first projector was a Sony VW10HT and it failed right outside of its warranty period - and I got an outrageous repair bill from United Radio- $4500 to fix it vs the $3000 a new (better) projector would cost. So down the drain went my $5500 purchase after just over a year...

I replaced it with a Panasonic ae900u that worked great (and still works as my back-up - on its 3rd bulb) - but its not very bright and it doesn't do 1080p - so...

Fast Forward to 2014 - I bought another Sony, the HW55ES, thinking with its 3 year warranty I would be safe. It had a problem from day one (Mike Garrett can confirm I had this early in the projector's life) - it would just shut itself off. It didn't happen too often - maybe every 20 hours. Sony tech support kept blaming the problem on everything but the projector - cable, HDMI source, electrical...... Until 6 months out of warranty when the problem accelerated, instead of 20 hrs, it could happen up to 5 times per hour. Sent it to United Radio Twice - they weren't attentive enough to see the problem the first time they had it, I had to produce a video of the problem. So now they've decided that this $4000 projector (new 4 years ago) will cost....$4000 to repair! I see the cost of a new HW65ES is closer to $3000.... To be fair, Sony is trying to accomodate an out-of-warranty repair for my projector - but they've been dragging their feet now for a week - doesn't look good - and who in their right mind would spend $4000 to repair something that can be improved on and be new with a new warranty for $3000....

Sense my frustration with Sony and United Radio? Can you imagine the hours on the phone with Sony, then UR, then Sony...etc ad nauseum. And guess what - I've added about 500 hrs to my bulb just running it to reproduce the problem....

So my strong inclination is to ditch sony for what I think is the other market leader JVC - but the question I have - is this a symptom of the large companies and are there similar JVC tales of woe out there or is JVC clearly a better engineered product with a solid engineering tech support group (that doesnt take 45 minutes to get through to on the phone).....

I'm hoping the consensus is that JVC is a much better support group

·
Registered
709 Posts
I had bad luck trying to get my Sony repaired too, but I'll skip the details. I've shared your frustration.

The JVC RS620 has a 5 year warranty. Don't know if the new RS640 is the same. My RS600 gets used for at least 2 hours almost every day (more on weekends), approaching 2 years now- zero issues. Would buy another in a heartbeat, but you'll find some that have had problems with JVC too.

In general, I think it's dangerous to pay a big premium to be on the cutting edge- unless you really need the features and/or performance.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
If you have had a bad experience with Sony it's worth giving JVC a shot. I would just caution you about having realistic expectations. This forum would have you believe they are without fault. That wasn't my experience and it was a bit of a rude awakening.

JVCs have generally higher contrast and sharper lenses (both important of course). But I found their motion and frame interpolation to be less than ideal (Especially being a fan of Sony Motionflow). A JVC will generally be cheaper than a similar Sony by a wide margin but has a bit clunkier of a user experience (Long sync times etc). I also prefer Sony image processing. Reality Creation actually does something while MPC (and features like Motion Enhance) seem to be merely marketing bullets on the box by comparison.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Had a JVC Rs20/750 for 7 years. It was flawless. Never behaved unexpectedly.

Then again some users reported light engine issues (pink band) after a few thousand hours.

So your mileage will vary.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
In my experience both JVC and Sony have issues with respect to quality control and each have their strengths that proponents of each brand have expounded in various threads on this site.

I owned a Sony Pearl about 10 years ago. Then, I got a JVC RS1, followed by a RS15, then followed by a RS35 and finally a RS600 which I now own.

I think the Sony had the best video processing of any of the projectors I've owned. There was a certain smoothness and elegance in the Pearl that I have not seen in any of the JVCs.

So why did I own a series of JVCs after getting the RS-1? It's simple: I have a dark theater and highly value contrast. At commercial cinemas I am bothered by the milky black levels produced by those DLPs, just as I was by the Pearl's in my home theater. Those DLPs, with their broader color gamut and higher bit rates, naturally exceed anything I have ever seen in my home theater. Still, in those commercial theaters I am taken out of the movie time and again by those milky blacks just as I was by the Pearl. So, I have chosen the superior contrast of JVC projectors. If a current Sony had a contrast ratio to match JVC's, it would be no contest as far as I'd be concerned and I'd buy a Sony in a heartbeat. However, I'd also have to be assured that there would be no panel degradation as noted in recent 4K Sony projectors as Sony might not acknowledge or replace those panels.

As far as mechanical failures are concerned, I've experienced them in the Sony and in all the JVCs I've owned. The Pearl had significant panel color non-uniformity requiring special localized color correction (that was, thankfully, possible through a laborious process), and a power circuit board failure that Sony, to their credit, repaired free of charge. My JVC RS1 and RS15 developed pink bands on the edge of the picture that I lived with by shifting my picture a couple of inches to the right (of 120 inches total picture width) to be masked by the black border of the screen. My RS35 had a defect in the blue channel requiring extreme attenuation of blue to get good color balance with a Lumagen Radiance Mini 3D, and my RS600 had to be sent for repair soon after I purchased it. It has functioned for several hundred hours flawlessly since that repair.

If you don't have a dark theater, you might not perceive JVC's contrast superiority. Also, a 4K Sony is truly 4K and if you sit very close to the screen you might see the improvement (no pixels) over a JVC. I find JVC's 1080 native LCoS pixels with their small interpixel distance quite adequate sitting 14 feet away from a 120 inch wide screen. The faux 4K of the RS600 has artifacts and isn't as sharp-appearing as native 1080p, in my opinion.

·
Registered
29,648 Posts
I had bad luck trying to get my Sony repaired too, but I'll skip the details. I've shared your frustration.

The JVC RS620 has a 5 year warranty. Don't know if the new RS640 is the same. My RS600 gets used for at least 2 hours almost every day (more on weekends), approaching 2 years now- zero issues. Would buy another in a heartbeat, but you'll find some that have had problems with JVC too.

In general, I think it's dangerous to pay a big premium to be on the cutting edge- unless you really need the features and/or performance.
3 year warranty on the new 640, but it does offer advanced replacement.

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
Had a JVC Rs20/750 for 7 years. It was flawless. Never behaved unexpectedly.

Then again some users reported light engine issues (pink band) after a few thousand hours.

So your mileage will vary.
I've had a surprising number of people call me in the last year thinking about upgrading from their still working fine RS1's, so they can last a long time !

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Oh I'm having a Sony issue right now. I purchased a VPL-VW600es 3.5 years ago. About a month ago the picture turned awful. This unit has less than 600 total hours on it (total). After talking with ES support they had me ship it in to United Radio. Well...a week later I get the estimate of $10,181.25 for a optical block repair price plus $270 in labor. Of coarse I find this unacceptable! I email Sony and get the option of buying a refurbished unit for $3,000. They said that's the best they can do!! Geez...so considerate to charge me 70% (ish) of the street value on the unit. I asked them to just fix mine and I haven't head a word since last Friday. So nothing from them this whole week.

So....I am with you. Is it time for me to swear off Sony and move to JVC?? I've been buying XBR TVs for 20 years. I may have purchased my last Sony product ever!

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Oh I'm having a Sony issue right now. I purchased a VPL-VW600es 3.5 years ago. About a month ago the picture turned awful. This unit has less than 600 total hours on it (total). After talking with ES support they had me ship it in to United Radio. Well...a week later I get the estimate of $10,181.25 for a optical block repair price plus $270 in labor. Of coarse I find this unacceptable! I email Sony and get the option of buying a refurbished unit for $3,000. They said that's the best they can do!! Geez...so considerate to charge me 70% (ish) of the street value on the unit. I asked them to just fix mine and I haven't head a word since last Friday. So nothing from them this whole week.

So....I am with you. Is it time for me to swear off Sony and move to JVC?? I've been buying XBR TVs for 20 years. I may have purchased my last Sony product ever!
Sorry, are you saying you are about to fork out 10k USD for an optical block replacement on y our VW600?

Dude, don't do that. Its not worth it. The PJ is worth 1/3rd of that even after you have the repair done. Thats money down the toilet.

Best to get it back and sell it as is.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Sorry, are you saying you are about to fork out 10k USD for an optical block replacement on y our VW600?

Dude, don't do that. Its not worth it. The PJ is worth 1/3rd of that even after you have the repair done. Thats money down the toilet.

I think he's saying he doesn't want to cough up even $3k (Sony's offer).

·
Banned
4,750 Posts

If you wish to stick with Sony I would suggest pushing for a replacement unit (possibly with some out of pocket expense by you) rather than a repair. I truly believe newer models are more reliable but I would not repair your current model.

If that fails a JVC wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but as I mention above it might take some getting used to.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
So you you want 1080p content with or without e-shift?
Having the option to use e-shift will alway be a good thing. Some may not notice the artifacts and JVC's next generation version of e-shift will likely be better. It would have been good to see JVC offer a lamp-driven true 4K projector this year but we seldom see our AVS Forum fantasies realized.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
I think the better question is, who has superior customer support? Because there is a chance something may break at somepoint.

In my experience's Sony's is bad. As stated in this thread, they will try to weasel their way out of repairing any defects in the set and claim the behavior is normal or blame it on something else. Happened twice in my case with two different displays (one CRT, one LCOS).

Epson has good customer support from my experience, a couple notches above average.

From reading this board, it seems JVC is somewhere between Sony and Epson.

While not on your list, BenQ had tremendous customer support in my case. The iris failed on my projector and it was a couple years out of warranty, but they fixed it for free (and even paid for shipping both ways). I found that pretty impressive and probably not something you'd get from Sony/JVC/Epson.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

If you wish to stick with Sony I would suggest pushing for a replacement unit (possibly with some out of pocket expense by you) rather than a repair. I truly believe newer models are more reliable but I would not repair your current model.

If that fails a JVC wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but as I mention above it might take some getting used to.
Haha. Sorry...I see how I confused the group. Yes...the original repair estimate was $10.5k. After complaining about that to Sony, they offered a refurb 600es for $3k. I still feel that's crazy for a unit that has a street value of around $5k. What I don't get is..they can sell me a refurb with optical block, housing, new bulb, etc for $3k but a repair is over $10k. I'm asking them to fix my unit for free or pay for parts and I'll pay for labor. To me, a catastrophic event with under 600 hours on the projector just seems like a quality issue. When I sent it in, I expected a repair cost of $500 to $1000. Not $10,500!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Haha. Sorry...I see how I confused the group. Yes...the original repair estimate was $10.5k. After complaining about that to Sony, they offered a refurb 600es for $3k. I still feel that's crazy for a unit that has a street value of around $5k. What I don't get is..they can sell me a refurb with optical block, housing, new bulb, etc for $3k but a repair is over $10k. I'm asking them to fix my unit for free or pay for parts and I'll pay for labor. To me, a catastrophic event with under 600 hours on the projector just seems like a quality issue. When I sent it in, I expected a repair cost of $500 to $1000. Not $10,500!!
I agree that Sony probably has a rather bad warranty service and a very expensive out of warranty service which is discouraging. I know someone's broken JVC projector was repaired for only $500 which is a very good price in comparison (the projector had less than 500 hrs on it but it was already out of warranty).

On the other hand, I have to say, their offer of a refurbished unit for only $3000 sounds good to me. They could simply say 'Sorry, the warranty is over and we cannot help you with that.'. Anyway, if it were me, I would have taken the offer and would have sold the broken projector for parts. Indeed, if you really don't want the replacement, I would happily take it out of your hand. :D

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
These type of threads pop up on occasion. At the end of the day, most of these manufacturer's have very similar failure rates and warranty protocol. I don't think Sony or JVC have a substantial lead over one another when it comes to how well they handle in or out of warranty claims. There have been horror stories many times for both brands. These things happen and unfortunately someone gets to be that unlucky guy on occasion. I can say on a personal level I've dealt with both Sony and JVC's warranty/repair services and both of them have been relatively painless, quick and satisfactory given the circumstances each time. I think the moral of the story each and every time these threads pop up is that buying an extended warranty is never a bad idea (or buying the projector that has the longer warranty) because you never know if and when it's your turn to be that unlucky person.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts