AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Sony 1030Q1 projector. It is a little beat up but works fine. I spent some time researching it and found out how to switch it from an upside-down unit to a table top configuration. I have it hooked up to a DVD player that you can disable Macrovision. Which is fortunate because the Sony had problems displaying anything with Macrovision encoding. Right now I'm connecting the DVD player with an RCA cable. The projector has a single BNC connector for video and a single RCA for audio, plus two RGB connectors. One 9-pin one 25-pin. My question is whether or not I should attempt to utilize the RGB connectors to get a better picture. I have a computer which has a video card with RCA (composite) and S-video. It is an older ATI Rage 3D card.

Does the RCA output on the computer offer any advantage over a standalone DVD Player? Or is it basically the same signal?

Any sources for a VGA to RGB connector? Have searched this forum and the net... Which RGB should I use the 9 or 25?

I *think* that this projector will support 640x480 at 60Hz - anyone back that up? I don't want to fry the projector.

In the meantime I'm pretty happy with the picture I have now that I don't have the weird Macrovision distortions. Always looking for better though. I will post this to the home theater PC forum too.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hi Dave.

Concerning the RGB vs. RCA connector,

An RGB connector has the capability of allowing you to have an improved image (line doubled). I am not sure if you have a 1030Q or a 1031Q. According to projectorspecs.com, a 1030Q with a certain serial number and a 1031Q will accept a 32KHz signal with the RGB connector. With the RGB connector (and a proper projector), you can either hookup a scaler (such as the DVDO Iscan V1) or an HTPC. Both will provide you with an improved picture over what you have now.

About the VGA to RGB connector,

you shouldn't need one. VGA and RGB are often mean the same thing unless the discussion involves the use of component video inputs (which this discussion doesn't). As for the 9-pin vs. 25-pin, You may be referring to the 15-pin VGA connector. To my knowledge, there has never been a 25-pin RGB connector. The 9-pin connector is for old CGA & EGA video cards (I remember those days!).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.