AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Component Cable make a big difference over the standard RF Adapter on the PS2?

Should I spend the money on the higher end cable sets, or will the $10 version work almost as well?

Lastly: I have a CD/DVD/CD-R/PIC VIEWER connected to my TV that is taking up my component cable ports. Is there an adapter that will allow you to plug 2 - into - 1? Will it affect quality?

I am new to home entertainment systems.

I was just recently given a big screen with surround sound, receiver, etc...and I'm trying to get everything wired up the 'right' way.

Also, how can I tell if my TV is HD Ready? It's about 3yrs old, made by Sony. If it has the component sets, does that mean it's HD? It has S-Video, Component, and standard Coax ports.

Thanks in advance,

SQ

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I use a $10 set from Eb Games. God Of War looks amazing with them on my Z3. I would nto invest in "better" cables at this point.

Component does not mean HD. Whats the model #?

I see several people saying good things about switchers here, check the search. It was not too long ago.

·
Registered
447 Posts
yes, the component cables make a HUGE difference compared to RF. its not even comparable. i used RF once for PS2 in a hotel room, and it was miserable, so yes, definitley get the component cables.

you can get a component video switcher, pelican makes one, or just get one from radio shack, that you can press a button and toggle between PS2 and your pic viewer. it shouldnt effect quality much as long as its a decent unit, many people here use the Pelican one i think.

and no, having component cables doesnt mean the TV is HD-ready. my 27" JVC had component connections but wasnt even progressive scan. check the model number and either ask Sony or post it here, im sure people will be able to give you the answer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick responses.

I will definitely invest in the component set. With my new big screen, the picture quality on my digital cable box is awesome (on most channels). However, when I turn on the PS2, I get diagonal lines in my games. I thought it was just because it was a big screen...but I think it's because of the RF Adapter. Hopefully the component set will clear it up.

I'll also look for a switcher.

I don't have the model # of the Sony on me, I'll have to post it up when I get home.

Thanks again,

SQ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I meant to ask this: Do the Components or the S-Video cables yield a better picture?

Again, I am a rookie when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks,

SQ

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Component > S-Video

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.