AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
who cares??? haven't we put bitstream vs PCM to bed yet?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bitstreaming Dolby HD allows someone to use the high quality DACs in their high-end AV processor, and to apply DSP effects to the signal. It doesn't always matter, but it can...and don't forget the pretty light comes on.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bitstreaming Dolby HD allows someone to use the high quality DACs in their high-end AV processor. Hasn't anyone ever heard a high-end AV processor with quality DACs like the Burr Brown PCM1796 DACs in dual differential configuration? There's nothing better right now.

·
Registered
824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpioli /forum/post/17020816

Bitstreaming Dolby HD allows someone to use the high quality DACs in their high-end AV processor, and to apply DSP effects to the signal. It doesn't always matter, but it can...and don't forget the pretty light comes on.

argh, this is why this subject drives me crazy.

Using PCM would still use the DAC's in your processor since PCM is digital.

And, you can still apply DSP to the signal.

·
Banned
2,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisizer /forum/post/17021050

argh, this is why this subject drives me crazy.

Using PCM would still use the DAC's in your processor since PCM is digital.

And, you can still apply DSP to the signal.

Yeah but you wouldnt light up that teensy weensy light on your fancy smancy AVR

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
elvisizer,

There's error correction to Dolby HD that takes place to keep the integrity of the bitstream source until it's decoded, but PCM can be modified along the way because of jitter.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
So it's got a jitterbug?

·
Registered
3,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpioli /forum/post/17021370

elvisizer,

There's error correction to Dolby HD that takes place to keep the integrity of the bitstream source until it's decoded, but PCM can be modified along the way because of jitter.

I bet you a million dollars in a blind test, you could not tell.

·
Registered
824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpioli /forum/post/17021370

elvisizer,

as Goatse pointed out, jitter causing audible issues is extremely unlikely.

Also, i've yet to see anyone do a test that demonstrates that PCM streams are more susceptible to jitter in the real world than bitstream. Do you have a link showing that?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.