AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

There was virtually no news about a UHD/4K physical-disc format at NAB, but Sony was touting its Pure Audio initiative to place entire albums of high-res music on current Blu-ray discs. Universal Music, Warner Music Group, and (of course) Sony Music have all signed on to produce such albums, which will typically include 24-bit/96-kHz audio and could go all the way to 24/192. The discs will play in any Blu-ray player, and they include virtually no video, except for a navigation screen, and even that is unnecessary if you don't want to fire up your display.

Sony's Pure Audio BD initiative records entire music albums in high-res audio on current Blu-ray discs. The only video is a navigation screen, but you can also u se the colored and number buttons on the player's remote without needing a display.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
why not do this but instead of no video use the bands music videos, if one was made for the song in use. I would totally pay for that.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I like the idea as long as costs are controlled... lets get this rolling already

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson  /t/1527213/sony-pure-audio-blu-ray-initiative-at-nab-2014#post_24603401

There was virtually no news about a UHD/4K physical-disc format at NAB, but Sony was touting its Pure Audio initiative to place entire albums of high-res music on current Blu-ray discs. Universal Music, Warner Music Group, and (of course) Sony Music have all signed on to produce such albums, which will typically include 24-bit/96-kHz audio and could go all the way to 24/192. The discs will play in any Blu-ray player, and they include virtually no video, except for a navigation screen, and even that is unnecessary if you don't want to fire up your display.

Sony's Pure Audio BD initiative records entire music albums in high-res audio on current Blu-ray discs. The only video is a navigation screen, but you can also use the colored and number buttons on the player's remote without needing a display.

From the disc menu shown, it appears that Sony has adopted the "look and feel" of the non-profit Pure Audio Group (link) . . . and which I believe has NO relationship with (Universal Music's) High Fidelity Pure Audio Group!

( No extra points for confusing the names of the two organizations!
)

_

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex  /t/1527213/sony-pure-audio-blu-ray-initiative-at-nab-2014#post_24605628

From the disc menu shown, it appears that Sony has adopted the "look and feel" of the non-profit Pure Audio Group (link) . . . and which I believe has NO relationship with (Universal Music's) High Fidelity Pure Audio Group!

( No extra points for confusing the names of the two organizations!
)

_
Yeah, no possibility for confusion there!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

Sounds intriguing.  Here's hoping that the discs will be rippable, that the formats used are supported by most current audio playback software (iTunes, Windows Media Player, JRiver, XBMC, Plex, etc.), and that said software will treat it as music tracks rather than as video chapters, so that it can be incorporated into your music library.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB  /t/1527213/sony-pure-audio-blu-ray-initiative-at-nab-2014#post_24605653

Sounds intriguing.  Here's hoping that the discs will be rippable...

"Real" Pure Audio Group (link) discs may include mshuttle (link) technology to support 'ripping' content . . . and my understanding is that Universal Music's HFPA discs were supposed to ship either with a CD containing matching music content, or with a coupon code permitting a download of matching ripped FLAC|mp3 tracks.

_

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
I also like the Music Video idea, but there are a number of other sources to watch them Free, Like VEVO on YouTube.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
buying more physical disks... :facepalm:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Let me see: I can play my hybrid stereo/multi-channel SACD disks on any CD, DVD or Blu-ray player, (including the SACD player in my car) but I can only play this Blu-ray audio disk on my Blu-ray player!

The few Blu-ray multi-channel audio disks I own sound fine, but they are a total pain to use. You can't just slip in the disk and wait for the music to play. Sony is nuts!

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Well since Sony owns all of Elvis Presley's music rights and they want to start this Pure Audio Blu ray thing then start releasing his concerts and so fourth then I am in! If not then no thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,398 Posts
If they follow Universal on this the disc should include the music as a download as well. Plus it isn't that big of a deal to rip discs to other formats for use on whatever you want. I would much rather have this than a CD or a bad MP3 download, I try hard not to look a gift horse in the mouth. My biggest concern is just rehashing the same titles they've already released on SACD all over again rather than new content. That always seems to be the crux when new high resolution stuff comes out. Same music, different format.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts