AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
That not surprising, given the $ they are asking for it; I can't imagine that sales are brisk!

The truth is you make more money the longer your run a product line, since you get better economies of scale. Sharp has had some of their products run for also long as 2 1/2 years. The LC-52D64U has been around since the spring at least spring 2007, and they are still being sold today. Samsung, Panasonic and LG have also been recycling their plasma panels, the just change the cosmetics of the set and call it a new model.

·
Registered
14 Posts
XBR8's were never a go. Pricing way to high and most people didn't even want to compare them with Samsungs. The XBR7's are already discontinued so I wouldn't be suprised if the XBR8's went next. I do believe that the new VE eco friendly panels are going to attract a lot of attention. I predict every hybrid owner having one in their home soon

But back on the XBR8 topic. I'm sure the next gens will be a hit. The XBR9 is beautiful so with bad marketing and pricing decisions out of the way. The new models of the XBR8 will be a lot more successful next time around

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by botguy2185 /forum/post/16909728

XBR8's were never a go. Pricing way to high and most people didn't even want to compare them with Samsungs. The XBR7's are already discontinued so I wouldn't be suprised if the XBR8's went next. I do believe that the new VE eco friendly panels are going to attract a lot of attention. I predict every hybrid owner having one in their home soon

But back on the XBR8 topic. I'm sure the next gens will be a hit. The XBR9 is beautiful so with bad marketing and pricing decisions out of the way. The new models of the XBR8 will be a lot more successful next time around

with the price fixed at msrp for many months at the beginning of its sales cycle, the xbr8 was indeed overpriced with relatively mild sales. when the price fix came off, judging from amazon sales of available stock, there was much more interest.

but what do you mean "...most people didn't even want to compare them to samsung..."? the xbr8 compared very favorably to all other LCDs, with cnet giving it top LCD honors, that's over all LCDs including the whiteLCD samsung 905A. design considerations notwithstanding (thinness, etc) the xbr8 is still superior to the current crop of samsungs including the edge-mount LED samsungs.

TVbc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts