AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting news from the PS3 front. Stranglehold (which will be available on both 360 and PS3) is going to have a collector's edition for the PS3. A Blu-Ray HD version of Hardboiled (which the game is based on?) will be included on the game disc !

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159596

What a clever idea. Since the 360's install base is fractured between people who own the HD-DVD add on (like me) and those who don't, an HD-DVD CE doesn't make as much sense for the 360 - not to mention it would have to be on a separate disc. I'd gladly pay $10 more to get my hands on Hardboiled in HD if it is available for the 360!

Stranglehold info: http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/748/748381.html

Hardboiled info: http://imdb.com/title/tt0104684/

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
Interesting idea, but I'd rather have just the movie. I'm not interested in the game.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy /forum/post/0

Interesting idea, but I'd rather have just the movie. I'm not interested in the game.

That may be the Achilles heel to this whole scheme. Most games that are based on movies aren't very good.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I think this just proves how pointless BD is for games. After putting the entire game on the disc they still have plenty of room for the movie as well, behold the gaming power of Blu-Ray.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was just thinking that MS could compete. HD-DVD allows for a DVD-9 disc on one side and an HD-DVD on the other. So, they could offer a Collector's Edition with the game on the DVD side and movie on the HD-DVD side.

So, it would be a one disc solution that would more or less do the same thing. You'd have to flip the disc of course...and have an HD-DVD drive.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 /forum/post/0

I think this just proves how pointless BD is for games. After putting the entire game on the disc they still have plenty of room for the movie as well, behold the gaming power of Blu-Ray.

Are you serious? Do you not want more game play? DL DVDs are being pushed to the max right now. I love my 360 and barely ever play my PS3 but we all know the one achillies heal the 360 has is limited space on it's optical media choice. Sure multiple DVDs is the next option but it would be nice not have to switch disks.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday /forum/post/0

Are you serious? Do you not want more game play? DL DVDs are being pushed to the max right now. I love my 360 and barely ever play my PS3 but we all know the one achillies heal the 360 has is limited space on it's optical media choice. Sure multiple DVDs is the next option but it would be nice not have to switch disks.

What games are having gameplay constrained by DVD? There are several extraordinarily long games on the 360, and everything so far released on the PS3 has used the extra space for reducing load times, including uncompressed audio, including hi-def CGI, or some combination of the three. I'm not sure I understand the need just yet, but maybe I will at some point in the future. Maybe MGS4, that is claimed to be constrained by even BD-50, will show me what limits DVD is imposing on games.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b11051973 /forum/post/0

I said this over on the PS3 forum.

I'll save the $10, rent the movie on Netflix and play the 360 version for achievements.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
It's cool they are including the movie on PS3. Maybe they'll give us a free HD download of it from the marketplace for the X360 version.

This thread title is waaaay off subject. Flame bait material.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Already done for the 360 sorta, not a movie, but exclusive content:

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/news...searchid=15382

"Activision has announced plans to publish Transformers: The Game - Cybertron Edition, a special Xbox 360 exclusive edition of their upcoming movie based robot action game. "

As for the movie and game on the same disk, whats the price? If it is the same as the normal game that says something about the movie.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Can MS compete? As if this is some epic maneuver by Sony that will destroy the competition?

It's a value added for PS3 users who were looking to buy the game, and happen to think the movie is also worth $10. I don't see this really having any effect on things other then swaying a select few that own both consoles and were intending to buy this game.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts

Quote:

I will personally take my $200 savings and get off my ass once in a while to swap discs.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson /forum/post/0

Can MS compete? As if this is some epic maneuver by Sony that will destroy the competition?

It's a value added for PS3 users who were looking to buy the game, and happen to think the movie is also worth $10. I don't see this really having any effect on things other then swaying a select few that own both consoles and were intending to buy this game.

lol....

Exactly what I was thinking.

Anyways, the br disk for this game probably has a lot of space left over, as the 360/ps3 versions are probably identical. So they just came up with a way to use the extra space and make an extra buck off it.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Hmm, that is a clever idea. I wonder how many other games based on movies will do the same. As someone who doesn't care what my nerd cred (gamerscore) is, I would buy the PS3 version for a new BD movie.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson /forum/post/0

lol, the end is near!!

edit: if it is Hard Boiled in HD and the game is good I'll buy it on the PS3 as I love that movie. I've never cared about gamerscore.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

Quote:

Are you serious? Do you not want more game play?

And that extra game play (levels, models, CGI, vocals, coding, playtesting, etc) grows on trees?

Not looking to be offensive; just pointing out that making a game bigger costs extra development money and the current gen games are already plenty expensive and gameplay (measure in time) is actually *shrinking*.

Besides, if current gen graphics are as good as they're supposed to be, there should be no need for CGI or massive storage; pre-scripted scenes should be able to be rendered in-engine.

The only games that can justify that those extreme storage needs are linear RPGs and those won't suffer from running off multiple disks...

Given the current SOTA the extra space just doesn't appear to justify the loss of data transfer speed.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Why would anyone be surprised by this first it was annonced about the extra maps for Ghost Recon for the PS3 and constant other features in other games and now this. If it was the other way around with sales we would be seeing the same thing. Not surprised at all.

As for concerns about MS and the 360.....Please
a movie with Hardboiled needs to be a concern? Its expected to move more units for the PS3 because Hard Boiled is included. Is that what we are getting at?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.