AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Sony RDR-HX900, which I love, and I'm concerned whether it will continue to work after the Feb. 17th changeover. I've got Comcast Cable, but no cable box. The package is called "Enhanced Basic." It gives me all the local channels, plus the cable news channels, as well as Comedy Central and a bunch of others. My Sony 40 in. XBR2 tuner gets the HD feeds for the commercial broadcast networks and PBS, so I'm happy. While the HX900 can't record in HD, I can record the SD versions of those shows I want to watch later. But my question is: What's going to happen after Feb. 17? Will my HX900 still be able to record from the cable feed? I'd appreciate any insight you might offer. Thanks.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
It'll be able to record whatever analog channels the cableco sends in your sub. However, IF your cableco starts moving those analog channels to digital QAM, you'll lose those... of course, your cableco would NEVER move channels to digital just to force you to rent their box... that would be dirty tick-tack!

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
The HX900 does have an IR blaster, so maybe it'll at least be able to control a digital cable box. Probably won't know if it'll control whatever model they give you 'till you try it, though, unless you can find out which box you'll get, and maybe someone, somewhere has that recorder and can tell you ahead of time (here or on another forum).

With Comcast, you can usually get Digital Starter, which is the same as extended basic with maybe a few extra channels, for 2 or 3 bucks more, with the first tuner free. They use a new model box for that, though, and the HX900 is pretty old, so I don't know if it'll have the code.

My HX900 works my DTVPal ATSC CECB, which uses a Scientific Atlanta cable box code, and it also works my 322 SD Dish dual-tuner. That's about all I know for sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.