AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched for Sony RDRGX7 info and have not found any here, so I thought I would start one.

I just bought mine at CC and have been using it a few day's. I have barely read the manual but the recordings look great (or as good as digital cable can be). I do not see any loss from my Tivo to the recording.

My main use will be to transfer from Tivo. I have been reading it's specs and it looks like it is going to be a top notch player also. I will have to check that out.

I hope more owners come in help us newbies.

:D

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found another thread about the Sony GX7 DVD recorder. They are working through HD and 16x9 recording issues.

HD (down converted 480i) recording sounds very promising.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=351577

I need a full weekend to play with the GX7 to be able to provide more info or ask more questions.

:cool:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm new to the DVD recording business but I am an aggressive bargain hunter, so with that I used Pricescan.com and found a good deal at Vanns.com. They were out of stock and I had 6th ave price match it today, low 500 range with free shipping. I think that is a pretty good deal.

I am using the GX7 to back up my tivo. It is a lot of manual work to delete the commercials but the recordings are fantastic!!!

The pausing I do is seamless. Naming the disc and titles is very easy.

This is my first experience with recording but I think I made the right choice!

:D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Poolshark,

I gotta ask - how are you titling? I find this aspect of the RDR GX7 to be its biggest weakness. I had to archive a bunch of DV movies over the weekend (so, titling the DVD and the individual titles) and it was a royal pain to use that daft little onscreen "keyboard". The primary issue for me was the constant back and forth between upper and lower case for each word. I could see that if everything was in upper or lower case then it's perhaps not so bad but when I am burning to a DVD-R I want things to look good and I must admit I "do it right" (which takes an age) compared to just doing everything in the same case.

I wish there were some way to integrate a keyboard - would be a ton quicker :)

Mark

·
Registered
29 Posts
Are you happy with RDR-GX7 so far?

I am currently in the market for a set-top DVD recorder – The Sony RDR-GX7 is my current leader – I like the ability to do both formats and PQ of commercial DVDs is important.

Here are my expected uses:

1) Replace current Sony DVD player for viewing commercial DVDs

2) Play DVD-R, +R, -RW and +RW home movies made on my computer with Sony DVD burner and Pinnacle Studio

3) Record 1 hour and 30 minute shows previously recorded on DirecTV with TiVo hard drive to take on road during business travel and view on portable DVD player – want to be able to use RW so can reuse after each trip

How well do you think the GX7 can do these tasks?

Thanks,

Micky Cross

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have had about two weeks of experience with this DVD recorder and, overall, am pleased except for the following:

1. My machine is "finicky" regarding DVD-RW media. The Memorex DVD-RW disks that I have tried to use for recording are not formatting and the machine reports the disks as dirty. I have heard that there are more compatible media such as Maxell DVD-RW.

2. I have successfully recorded DVD-R and DVD+RW discs off cable, OTA-HD, and DirecTV-HD. The HD source is downconverted to 480i by my set top box and fed into the S-Video inputs on the GX7. The result (at HQ) setting is truly amazing......

3. Sometimes my GX7 will not format DVD+RW media automatically. I will sometimes manually have to format the disc before use. This has happened on only rare occasions.

4. I'm still assessing the performance and usability of the machine, and have not yet decided whether or not I will keep it....

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by markwill
Poolshark,

I gotta ask - how are you titling? I find this aspect of the RDR GX7 to be its biggest weakness. I had to archive a bunch of DV movies over the weekend (so, titling the DVD and the individual titles) and it was a royal pain to use that daft little onscreen "keyboard". The primary issue for me was the constant back and forth between upper and lower case for each word. I could see that if everything was in upper or lower case then it's perhaps not so bad but when I am burning to a DVD-R I want things to look good and I must admit I "do it right" (which takes an age) compared to just doing everything in the same case.

I wish there were some way to integrate a keyboard - would be a ton quicker :)

Mark
Mark,

I am only on my third disk so far and yes the on screen board is tedious to say the least. At first I just used all caps then I tried to "do it right" and that was a chore. I think I will stick with all caps, it's bad enough when you have to switch for symbols.

I agree a keyboard would have been great. They do it for their CD Juke boxes why not this? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Micky
Are you happy with RDR-GX7 so far?

I am currently in the market for a set-top DVD recorder – The Sony RDR-GX7 is my current leader – I like the ability to do both formats and PQ of commercial DVDs is important.

Here are my expected uses:

1) Replace current Sony DVD player for viewing commercial DVDs

2) Play DVD-R, +R, -RW and +RW home movies made on my computer with Sony DVD burner and Pinnacle Studio

3) Record 1 hour and 30 minute shows previously recorded on DirecTV with TiVo hard drive to take on road during business travel and view on portable DVD player – want to be able to use RW so can reuse after each trip

How well do you think the GX7 can do these tasks?

Thanks,

Micky Cross
I need more experience with the GX7 but so far I am very pleased. Public opinion says it's video recording quality is top notch. So far, I can not disagree.

I am going to evaluate it as DVD player in the next couple of days. I will compare it to my Denon 1600 which is rated as one of the best players ever made. The GX7 has great video specs, I don't think it will disappoint.

I did not buy it to record down converted HD but some people are reporting that they are having great success. That will be a definate plus if it works out, although I think it may have a timer issue.

Has anybody else figured if the GX7 can record a "line in" based on time? My Samsung HD box will not turn on and change channels as the GX7 requires for L1 timer recordings.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I'm glad you are updating the thread a lot. I am probably about to buy this if 6'th avenue ever emails me back. They have not answered about matching. I already tried to get abt to match and they will only if it becomes in stock again at vanns. I already tried the GX7 a couple weeks ago. It seemed pretty good. I wish it had screen zoom and a HDD though.

And also I hope someone knows what media is known o work best on this actual recorder. I had a few Verbatim not work when I tested the recorder.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I've had the GX7 for a week and a half. I'm using it as my DVD player and to archive shows off UTV (so I didn't need a harddrive).

Things I like so far...

-Recording quality is very good (which is the most important aspect of the machine for me). When using the 1, 1.5 and 2 hour modes I can't tell the difference from the original. When using the 3 hour mode there seems to be a slight loss of detail but this mode is very usable. The 4 hour mode is better than vcr quality and the 6 hour mode is just below vcr quality to my eye.

-I've burned 5 Verbatim DVD-R disks, 10 Fuji DVD-R disks and a pioneer DVD-RW without any problems. I also have some no-name mail-order DVD-R disks that wouldn't work on my PC based Pioneer burner that also appear to work fine (I've only tried one so far though).

-This thing is built like a tank. It just feels like a great unit.

-I like the title naming feature... but I always use upper case.

Things I'm not fond of...

-Takes 7 seconds for the unit to start recording from the time you press the record button.

-This is nitpicking... when changing the recording mode the unit shows the number of minutes that the mode supports but the on-screen display just shows the mode.

I haven't tried to use any of the editing features (except to delete titles) so I can't comment on those. But I don't expect to use those much. I amm using the unit as my DVD player I don't have another one to compare it too.

Alan

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BASHERS33
I'm glad you are updating the thread a lot. I am probably about to buy this if 6'th avenue ever emails me back. They have not answered about matching. I already tried to get abt to match and they will only if it becomes in stock again at vanns. I already tried the GX7 a couple weeks ago. It seemed pretty good. I wish it had screen zoom and a HDD though.

And also I hope someone knows what media is known o work best on this actual recorder. I had a few Verbatim not work when I tested the recorder.
Call them and speak directly to a sales associate. They looked up the price at vanns and saw that it was an authorized Sony dealer and gave me the match over the phone, with free delivery.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BigAl

Things I'm not fond of...

-Takes 7 seconds for the unit to start recording from the time you press the record button.

Alan
I have recorded onto Maxell -R discs using the remote record, pause and stop buttons and they respond instantaneously for me.

Is anybody else having this problem that Al described?

The only thing I have noticed that takes time is when you load a disc, stop recording and finalise a disc, the unit takes time to read or save data (but it tells you what it is doing).

On another note, I tried to record down converted HD last night but I couldn't get it to work. For a while I thought it was my HD STB but I eventually found out that my line 3 S-video did not work. The composite line 3 works and line 1 and 2 S-video work but I am already using line 1 for my Tivo and I really don't want cables sticking out the front all the time with line 2. I read the manual and I did not see that I had to enable line 3 in.

Has anybody else tried line 3 S-video in (in the back at the bottom)?

Since I had to trouble shoot I missed my oppurtunity to record the HD show I wanted. I tuned into other shows later and some of them appeared to have the "Clay Face " issue that you hear about on DLP Tv's. I didn't feel like trouble shooting this last night so I will try again tonight. I am using a Samsung HD STB with Monster Ultra S-video cables.

Has anybody else seen "Clay Face" issues in the down conversion process?

·
Registered
957 Posts
I've not had any delay issues when push-button recording. Not sure what could be causing that--perhaps its only on the top quality settings (which I haven't tried yet, only SD and lower so far) or something in the user-defined noise reduction prefs (i.e. turned up to 2 or 3) that makes it buffer more. Just some ideas.

The issue I've had with my Sony unit is playback of t.v.-based commercial DVDs, i.e. Deep Space Nine. Seems the deck doesn't know how to interpolate the frame-rate at times and I get a ghosty/slo-mo looking picture (audio is unaffected) that stutters for a couple of seconds then returns to normal. I haven't noticed this on any recordings or other purchased DVDs, like movies. It's so far been noticed on multiple discs of Season 5 and 6 (haven't gone back to watch earlier ones or STTNG). The deck has been perfect the past month and a half otherwise. I've not nailed down what the exact issue is, but the progressive/cinema/pulldown interp circuitry seems to be the likely culprit...any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by shanewalker
I've not had any delay issues when push-button recording. Not sure what could be causing that--perhaps its only on the top quality settings (which I haven't tried yet, only SD and lower so far) or something in the user-defined noise reduction prefs (i.e. turned up to 2 or 3) that makes it buffer more. Just some ideas.

The issue I've had with my Sony unit is playback of t.v.-based commercial DVDs, i.e. Deep Space Nine. Seems the deck doesn't know how to interpolate the frame-rate at times and I get a ghosty/slo-mo looking picture (audio is unaffected) that stutters for a couple of seconds then returns to normal. I haven't noticed this on any recordings or other purchased DVDs, like movies. It's so far been noticed on multiple discs of Season 5 and 6 (haven't gone back to watch earlier ones or STTNG). The deck has been perfect the past month and a half otherwise. I've not nailed down what the exact issue is, but the progressive/cinema/pulldown interp circuitry seems to be the likely culprit...any ideas would be appreciated.
I have used HQ recording once and HSP several times and have not noticed the delay issue. We need more specifics (media type and brand) to see if we can duplicate the problem.

First try to exchange the DS9 set. I had an X-file set that had one bad spot on the disk that affected two episodes do the the dual layers.

From all the research I have done on DVD players, one thing I have learned is that the DVD production process is very "buggy". There are very few perfect transfers. Most movies have recording or transfer problems and they become evident by how your dvd decoding software handles the problems. It sounds like the GX7 can't handle what ever crept in to the transfer of your DS9 season. Unfortunately it might be in the box. Try to switch between Progressive and Intelaced on your output to see if changes anything (I hope your tv can support progressive).

The sight below has done extensive studies on how DVD players handle bad DVD transfers. Look for the DVD player secrets review.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/main.html

·
Registered
425 Posts
Just some several thoughts regarding the use of this DVD recorder...

1. I'm using both Line 1 and Line 3 inputs on the back of the GX7 with no problem. Check the setup menus and make sure you have enabled S-Video for all inputs (wouldn't you want to use them over composite, anyway?) My set-top box (Sony HD-100) is connected to the Line 1 inputs, which is REQUIRED for timer recordings. My other Sony DVD player is plugged into the Line 3 inputs for dubbing purposes.

2. There should be no lag time for recording to start, assuming the DVD has been formatted by the machine. This doesn't matter what kind of medium you are using (DVD-R or DVD+RW).

3. The recording mode should display in the front panel when you select it, not only showing the Mode (HQ, etc.) but also the time devoted to recording (1 hour/ 2 hours, etc.)

4. For those trying to record 16x9 high definition programming, you shouldn't have to fiddle with screen size, etc. Your set top box should have both component and svideo outputs. Plug the svideo outputs into Line 1 on the GX7. The 1080i signal will be downconverted and recorded as a letter-boxed image on the GX7. (Make sure you selected the correct input source on the GX7 prior to recording....).

Hope this helps....

·
Registered
217 Posts
On the time thing...I have not noticed any delay by pressing Rec, it seems to start immediately. What I have noticed though is if you press Rec Pause (which starts Recording, but starts off paused) is there IS indeed a delay before it will allow you to push pause again. Don't know how long it is but about 7 seconds sounds pretty close to me.

What I've observed is press Rec Pause, you get the usual "O||" logo on the screen that disapears after a second or two as usual. Then 3 or 4 seconds later it pops up again. Only then will the unit respond to pressing Rec Pause to start recording. I have not noticed if this is a -R, -RW, or both thing, cause after the first Rec Pause I'm quing up the source anyway. For all I know it might always do this for Rec Pause, but since I'm skipping commericals it goes unoticed.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DeanS
Just some several thoughts regarding the use of this DVD recorder...

1. I'm using both Line 1 and Line 3 inputs on the back of the GX7 with no problem. Check the setup menus and make sure you have enabled S-Video for all inputs (wouldn't you want to use them over composite, anyway?) My set-top box (Sony HD-100) is connected to the Line 1 inputs, which is REQUIRED for timer recordings. My other Sony DVD player is plugged into the Line 3 inputs for dubbing purposes.

4. For those trying to record 16x9 high definition programming, you shouldn't have to fiddle with screen size, etc. Your set top box should have both component and svideo outputs. Plug the svideo outputs into Line 1 on the GX7. The 1080i signal will be downconverted and recorded as a letter-boxed image on the GX7. (Make sure you selected the correct input source on the GX7 prior to recording....).

Hope this helps....
Thanks for the advice.

I did not have to enable Line 1 S-video or Line 2. That's what's bugging about Line 3. I have looked for an enable menu and have not found one. Let me know if you know where it is.

I know to use S-video over composite but when line 3 S-video failed to work I was able to verify that the composite did work.

On the 16x9 issue, there is an area that asks you what size your source is you are recording. Does that make a difference if you don't change it? I am going to be recording 4x3 Tivo and 16x9 HD.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
On the delay before recording starts issue... I work at a SoundTrack store here in Denver and I went to a customers house to help him setup his GX7 and his had the same delay before the recording started.

This happens for me regardless of the recording mode... I've seen it on the 1.5, 2, 3 and 4 hour modes.

I've seen twice now where it didn't have a delay... I think it went right into record mode when I was recording the second or third title on a disk. I seem to hit this delay on the first title. I haven't verified that this is really the issue yet but I'd like to hear if your decks are going into record mode on the first title (using the record button as opposed to a timer recording).

The deck goes into record mode, the counter reads 00:00:00 for about 7 seconds and then starts recording. Also, I can't hit the record button to use the 30 minute OTR function until the deck starts recording and the counter starts counting.

I am using S-video on line3 and I did have to go into the setup menu and switch it... it was set from the factory to the composite input. I haven't looked at the front panel line2 video input selector but I know line1 and line3 defaulted to the composite input.

·
Registered
425 Posts
PoolShark:

There is an option in the GX7 "Settings" menu to turn on BOTH the S-Video inputs for Line Inputs 1 and 3. Go into the main Setup menu and select "Video." At the bottom of the list of video-related options you will see "Line 1 Input" and "Line 3 Input" Select each one and then select "S Video" as the input for each Line Input. That should "activate" your Line 1 and 3 S-Video inputs. Check your SVideo cable if this doesn't work. Also, is there a way to check that an S-Video signal is being outputted through your connected device (i.e. TiVo, HD Set-top box). Some of these devices require you to activate S-video outputs (especially for HD sources)

As far as 16x9 goes, in the same video setup menu I selected "4:3 Letter Box" because I have a 4:3 display that presents HD in a squeezed format. I suppose I could select (and would select) 16:9 if I had a "true" 16:9 set. But when recording HD material, I don't think it makes a difference. Why? Because the HD box MUST downrez the signal to 480i for it to be accepted by the GX7 S-Video inputs. The 16:9 HD picture is simply "reformatted" and presented in a 480i letterbox. Looks fine.

You can probably experiment with these settings, given your display type.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Can anyone tell me which blank media brands can or can't be used in the RDR-GX7? I remember seeing a warning label on a pack of 4x dvd-r discs that they can't be used in a recorder that does not record at 4x speed. Yet most 4x packs dont have that warning. If I buy a spindle of 100 Maxell, will they work? They are either 2x or 4x.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.