AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Quote:
Sony may already have a redesigned PlayStation 3 in the cards for later this year, says tech magazine T3. Based on discussions with an alleged insider on the floor of the Consumer Electronics Show, the publication believes that a much thinner and lighter version of the system is in the works for as early as fall of this year. Most details are uncertain, though the design would take advantage of improved, smaller processor and graphics chipsets to accomplish the feat. The reworked system may ultimately be the widely rumored 120GB PS3 that crosses the 80GB barrier set by the old system, the magazine suggests.

The PlayStation maker has declined comment on "rumors and speculation" but is believed to be exploring the smaller PS3 as a logical extension of its past approach to its consoles, which often go through at least one major size reduction during their active lifetimes. Both the PlayStation 1 and 2 became the PSone and PStwo, while a slimmer PSP replaced the original model last year. T3 has created a mockup of what it expects for the future PS3 but has not said how faithfully it recreates the rumored new model, saying only that the new Sony console should be "sexy" compared to the old version.

Just an FYI. A concept of this "new" PS3 can be found here: http://www.electronista.com/articles...ltra.slim.ps3/

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Definitely has my ears perked!

·
Registered
3,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbansniper /forum/post/12999311

It looks alot like my George Foreman grill.

Helpful safety tip, make sure not to grill bacon on your George Foreman grill while you are in bed.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
i wish it wasnt round on the top. some curves are nice, not all squred off, but something a little moe HTish would suit me better.

I am looking to get a ps3 though eventually. i wouldnt mind a slimmer one.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbansniper /forum/post/12999311

slim one eh? darn, i just bought a 80GB.

It looks alot like my George Foreman grill.

If you pull an all-nighter with a PS3 you may well be using it as one
J/K

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon /forum/post/13000153

Helpful safety tip, make sure not to grill bacon on your George Foreman grill while you are in bed.

DOn't want to step in it and have to wrap your feet in bubble wrap

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
That render image they have is disgusting. I think the PS3 looks great as is. It's way too early for a slim model, but one will come at some time for sure.

·
Banned
2,801 Posts
The PSOne came out at the end of it's life cycle, the PSTwo came out four years after it's launch, the PSP Slim came out I believe 3 years after it's launch (maybe 3 and 1/2), so I don't expect a PS3 slim or PSThree or whatever until 2010 at least. Even then I'll prefer my bulky version, I can't tell you how much I'd love to have my original PS1 and PS2 back instead of my PSOne and silver PSTwo.

·
Registered
588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon /forum/post/13000153

Nice, I got that joke immediately.

"WHAT DOES THIS LOOK LIKE TO YOU?!"

"Mail Boxes etc.?"

Hah.

As for the slim PS3, they may be working on it and releasing concepts, but I believe we're at least a year and a half away from this one. It took them about 5 years to release a slim PS2 and there was way less cutting-edge technology in that one, so we'll see how long it takes the PS3. Just look how large a normal Blu-Ray player is. It's truly a feat if they can minimize the volume of a Blu-Ray player and visually superior games system into that slim thing so fast.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts