AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a sony reciever for my home theater. I purchased the STR-DE695. This reciver has component video inputs to forward to the tv. For example my dvd player is hooked up to the red green and blue dvd input connectors then when i select the dvd button on the reciever, I can watch my movie. However, on my replytv when i connect those to the video one connection (r,b,g) i get a "scrambled" video picture on my screen similiar to what you get when watching non subscribed to hbo a few years back. I have selected yes in set up for component video output and when i connect my picture directly to my toshiba tv it comes out fine. The problem is my tv has only one set of r,b,g inputs.

Is this some kind of anti-piracy thing?

thanks

christy

replay 5080

sony str de 695

thanks

christy

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by christydjoy
Is this some kind of anti-piracy thing?
Nope, your tv doesn't support progressive video. The replay outputs 480p and your dvd player outputs 480i. If your DVD player was a progressive DVD player in progressive mode it would look the same as the replay does on your tv.

Time to upgrade the TV! Just kidding, I wouldn't upgrade the TV for the progressive input.... s-video is a much better option. IMHO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
one sec. my toshiba sd-2109 has "colorstream" y,cb,cr outputs. Is this progressive scan? my tv has this color stream trademark as well. toshiba cz27v51. thanks for the help

christy

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
2109? did you mean 2108?

Anyway... No, colorstream on the 2xxx, 3xxx and 4xxx-x playerw were interlaced (480i) output. The 5109 was the progressive player from that series. (if memory serves correctly... I owned each of the 3109, 5109 and 4109 at one time, so I think this is correct)

I think the manual states the those lines have Standard NTSC signal type. This would be 480i.

And the toshiba website has all owners manuals on the support website.
http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/Consu...er_manuals.htm

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by christydjoy
one sec. my toshiba sd-2109 has "colorstream" y,cb,cr outputs. Is this progressive scan? my tv has this color stream trademark as well. toshiba cz27v51. thanks for the help

christy
I was confused by the "Colorstream" name used by Toshiba also. It's seems to be Toshiba's fancy name for "component".

Having component inputs/outputs does not imply progressive scan. They can be interlaced (480i) or progressive (480p). You DVD player and your TV do have component (or "colorstream") connections, but are 480i. Like Jeff D said, if you try to run an interlaced signal though a progressive device the output will be as you described.

...too bad the Replay doesn't support 480i through the component output, but S-video works just fine for most...and some say the progressive out from the Replay is garbage anyway. As always, YMMV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.