AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sony KDSR70XBR2 that I bought at a sony outlet store with a 5 year extended warranty. The sets optical block is going bad, "showing a noticeable green tint/haze". I called the warranty number and was told sony covered that part as an extension service they offer. So I called sony tv repair and was told that I could pay for the repair myself or take a brand new replacement tv models; KDL60EX500 for $162.39 or KDL46EX710 for no cost. I asked if I could upgrade to a better tv and was told no. They want me to send photo proof of the problem with the original sticker that contains the serial number before they approve anything. I wonder what happens if they decide the problem isn't big enough to qualify for replacement and now I won't have my serial sticker to validate my extended warranty either. What do you guys recommend I do and what are your opinions on the 60" model and am I getting hosed here?

·
Registered
22,646 Posts
You have a 5 year warranty. Either they repair your TV or should replace with a comparible model. I wouldn't take (settle for) a "smaller" set. Isn't that why you purchased an extended warranty?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/0

You have a 5 year warranty. Either they repair your TV or should replace with a comparible model. I wouldn't take (settle for) a "smaller" set. Isn't that why you purchased an extended warranty?

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I'll have to call the extended warranty back and see what I can get out of them because sony is saying since my tv was purchased in July of 07 it is passed the extension warranty they offer through their program it's take a tv or pay for the repair. And my extended warranty is saying the optical block is covered through sony's plan so they are passing the Buck. Guess I'll have to call.

·
Registered
22,646 Posts
You paid a 3rd party to cover TV repair for 5 years. They need to fulfill the repair agreement(s). That's what you paid for...

Also... look/read the "fine print" of your contract from the 3rd party.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaliscojorge /forum/post/19627184

...I called the warranty number and was told sony covered that part as an extension service they offer....

I was an Authorized Sony Servicer for 25 years.

Sony extensions were always done as a "Customer Accommodation" and were never "Official" extensions of the warranty and were always negotiated on a one-to-one basis with the sets owner. Even if they did an accommodation with every single customer, they would never declare it a "program" and are under no obligation to do it for anyone. At least that is the way it used to work up until around 2005.

Occasionally there have been class-action lawsuits forcing an extension (CCD camera imagers comes to mind) but those have definite time limits and again, are done individually with the customer.

The extended warranty company should not have even mentioned it as an option. Sony will not deal directly with a warranty company, only with the TV owner.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried calling the third party warranty which is Service Net but for some reason got the call can't be completed as dialed recording. Called the store where I bought the set and was given a sony number and was told by the lady that it was the only number they had for repair service, and seemed unaware of Service Net existence. Called the number and was then transferred to a national sony "something number" and was told the deal I was offered is besides any dealing with service net. Told the Rep about the call not going through to service net, he called the number himself and was met with the same recording so he told me to try again untill Monday and if I still couldn't contact service net to call their sony department back to see if they can figure something out to get a hold of service net.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts