AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both Microsoft and Sony are offering gamers a way to upgrade select titles they have purchased for the Xbox 360 and PS3 to the Xbox One and PS4 versions. That way, you purchase the current gen game on release, and then can upgrade to the next-gen version at a heavily discounted price when it becomes available.

Sony has now revealed exactly how that digital upgrade will work for the four games it supports as part of the program, and depending on how you buy, it may require PS3 discs be inserted into a PS4 for the games to function.

Sony’s digital upgrade program supports the following titles:

Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Watch Dogs

Battlefield 4

If you purchase digital copies of those games through PSN then the upgrade to the PS4 version is simple as everything is tied to your PSN account. Things get a little more complicated if you purchase the PS3 versions on disc, though.

Each physical copy will have a code included with the disc which you need to enter on the PlayStation Store. That code is then tied to your PSN account. Then, when you get a PS4 you can purchase one of the four games mentioned above through the PlayStation Store and the discount will be automatically applied to the price you pay.

Sony wants to ensure you don’t then sell on your copy of the PS3 game, so in order to play the PS4 version you must have the PS3 game inserted into the console. So Sony has implemented some kind of verification check on the PS3 discs to make sure the upgrade was legit and you own the PS3 game.

I can understand why Sony decided to do that as it stops a glut of used PS3 games appearing on the market. But they didn’t need to do this. The code included with the PS3 versions only work once, so it’s not like you can share the disc with your friends and get the same cheap PS4 game upgrades.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38  /t/1491589/sony-requires-ps3-disc-be-inserted-to-play-ps4-digital-upgrade-games#post_23757850

I can understand why Sony decided to do that as it stops a glut of used PS3 games appearing on the market. But they didn’t need to do this. The code included with the PS3 versions only work once, so it’s not like you can share the disc with your friends and get the same cheap PS4 game upgrades.

I think I can see why it's necessary. If you didn't need the disc what's to stop someone from buying the PS3 version of Watch Dogs, upgrading to the PS4 version for $10 or whatever, and then selling back the PS3 game for nearly full price. You'd be gettting PS4 games for $10 each.

Will there be some kind of option to upgrade a PS3 disc for a PS4 disc though?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote

Will there be some kind of option to upgrade a PS3 disc for a PS4 disc though?[/quote]

yes.

its called pony up $60 for the PS4 version

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
I think making the disc check happen is stupid. It will keep me personally from even bothering with PS3 version of anything the PS4 upgrades offer. Do I have to have both systems on constantly for it, daily check maybe? They have a chance to make $70 but screwed this one up. Even worse you can't trade your disc off without losing both versions. Definite PASS for me.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
If you pay full price for both versions, you can trade either one and keep the other. If you don't pay full price for both, why do you feel entitled to get more back than you dished out?

·
Banned
9,953 Posts
Of course disc checks are DRM, but we've been dealing with them since 1995.

XBone will be doing this as well. Publishers aren't in the business of giving away free games, be it 10 or 1.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
The way I see this, if I'm buying a disc for $60 and getting the upgrade for another $10 the publisher is making $70. What do they care if I trade the disk off? They made extra money and lose nothing.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5  /t/1491589/sony-requires-ps3-disc-be-inserted-to-play-ps4-digital-upgrade-games#post_23758076

I think making the disc check happen is stupid. It will keep me personally from even bothering with PS3 version of anything the PS4 upgrades offer. Do I have to have both systems on constantly for it, daily check maybe? They have a chance to make $70 but screwed this one up. Even worse you can't trade your disc off without losing both versions. Definite PASS for me.

Well just buy the digital version. Problem solved and no disc switching. Or just wait and pick up only the PS4 version, saving yourself the $10. Honestly the upgrade eligibility window is too short as of right now. I don't get why anyone would buy a game at the end of October when they know they'll be getting a next-gen system before Christmas.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
I wasn't really planning on taking advantage of this anyway though I did consider it for a brief minute until the disc in tray requirement came along and killed any consideration at all. I'm not too concerned with waiting two weeks but it would have been cool to get BF4 at launch, trade it for a modest fee to DD and recoup a few bucks off a used game place.

·
Banned
9,953 Posts
I'm honestly surprised we got this at all with how stingy publishers tend to be.

$10 more to upgrade your license to also include the better next gen version seems pretty sweet to me.

If people are patient they could still do the upgrade, sell their disc immediately, then buy one used at a very discounted price later and have them both dirt cheap.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning  /t/1491589/sony-requires-ps3-disc-be-inserted-to-play-ps4-digital-upgrade-games#post_23758683

Or you could just not be an idiot and wait for the PS4 version since buying a dumbed-down version of a next gen game is idiotic.

That was my initial thoughts, but with BF4 progress rolling up from current to next gen its really not a bad deal. Getting a jump on the competition and all. Its really not a bad deal but the disc in requirement makes it a lot less desirable. I would have probably hung on to the current gen version for some time but as it is, meh.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I know what I'm about to talk about is more Xbox related, but it's also related specifically to this topic, so bear with me....

I thought that Activision was offering a special deal on the Xbox 360 version, where you pay $69.99 for the digital download (for the Xbox 360), and you also get a digital download for the Xbox One. Now, my question with this is, do both games need to be downloaded under the same gamertag, and can both versions be played simultaneously ? Reason I ask, is that all my kids friends will have Xbox 360 systems, so they are going to want that version to be able to play with their friends. However, if I can somehow get a next-gen version for only $10 more, might as well do it, right ? Of course the downside, is that I won't be able to sell either version to anybody else, so it's a one time deal...

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
If you're buying a retail version of a game, I see no issue with them requiring that said disc be present in the drive.

They obviously don't want a sudden glut of traded in PS3 games a few weeks later. And I'm sure that the Xbox One counterpart will be similar. Neither platform holder wants you to get a free preview of the full current generation version of a major game and then a heavily discounted next generation game after trading in the PS3/360 version.

So it's hardly a surprise that they're going to make you hold on to your disc. If you want digital, you buy digital.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts