Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a speculation and opinion.

I feel the stunts that have been pulled by Sony during E3 and through the media have been 70% hype. Since E3 a lot of the 'features' of the PS3 have been dropped...it seems to me Sony's plan all along has been to release the PS3 stateside x-mas 2006, they won't release next spring, they are just saying that to hopefully get people to wait 4-5 months past the Xbox launch, then when spring comes along, they will make some more hype so the people that have already waited, will wait just 4-5 more months.

Speaking of the PS3's features, I think many more of the features will be dropped by the time the PS3 is released. There is no way they can fit all that stuff in a box under $500, its smoke and mirrors, because by the time they launch (in a year) they will have had time to 'slowly' trim away at the specs so nobody will remember what they claimed...just to take away from the 360s steam.

Sony had some CGI made up to make the system look great, and they are banking on the fact that a system made a year after CGI was done will be able to perform well enough to render those CGI scenes.

It's all a game and will probably work. What do you guys think?

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I think this thread is fanboyish a bit, sony and microsoft are going to make killer next gen systems!

Sure sony showed a lot of CGI and supposedly stated it was prerenderd,that does'nt mean they can't achieve that level of graphics though later on.

I can see sony dropping some of the USB and one of the HDMI inputs, i don't think they are going to drop much since they need blu-ray for videogaming storage and to get their foot in the door for the format wars.

Wi-fi may be dropped, or maybe not.

$499 seems about right for their price launch, unless they can give it to us for $299 then i'd say wholy crap, that's crazy!

I read in PSM magazine that it might be, but i doubt it since Blu-ray alone will make it pricey.

We will just have to wait and see at next months TGS to se if sony will reveal more info and possibly a launch date and price.

We'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Sony showed a box worth far more than people want to pay (Especially after seeing allu the crying on the Internet about a $400 XBox!) and should really be looking at cutting it back.

There is quite a bit of fluff in the PS3 that could be trimmed to keep it to $500 or less. ($500 sounds CHEAP for a BR player IMO but most will be looking at it as a game system).

Cut an HDMI output, some USB ports, wifi, the hub feature, multiple mem card support... plenty to trim and still make it a kick ass game system people can afford.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Croc, the only things I can think of are the router and stuff that Sony said at some point they were thinking of adding them but from day one said they will not have them

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sony announced that the PlayStation 3 will no longer act as a home network router.

That's the biggest announcment I've seen so far, but my guess is they are going to try to keep a lot of the drops hushed until the new year rolls around.

Im just writting my take on the industry and how I think it works.

I am probably not a Fanboy though...Ive owned two xboxs and they both crapped out within a year, so MS's hardware doesnt standup. if we have to be fair and balanced :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Quote:
I am probably not a Fanboy though...Ive owned two xboxs and they both crapped out within a year, so MS's hardware doesnt standup. if we have to be fair and balanced
So you've bought 2 xboxen. How many ps2's?

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
brad_arth: thought so, and I have the older time stamp on my previous post. The only problem with it is that Sony never stated it will have a router. At E3 they said hub and then in an interview they said originally they were thinking of a router but it got dropped early on because it would have been to expensive and that is why they went with a hub. So it is not an example of something hyped that is not there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have owned two PS2's, though neither of them went bad, I ended up selling the first one because I needed the money and the second one I traded in for my first xbox...but the PS2 never had HW issues.

All in all I didn't say this post was informational, but speculation; I was hoping for predictions, thats all.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
I agree, they could trim a lot and still have a great system.. that said, I'll just wait to see what the final product ends up being. I think MS found a good middle ground for now and hopefully sony will as well. I do kind of wish MS would have had HDMI or DVI, but component is still excellent.

In the end if history is any indication there will be a great library of software on the PS3 (as well as the 360 and revolution)

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
I think some USBs and different MC would not be missed, on the other hand I guess it would not cut the cost much. Even though I am no sure I will ever use two HDMIs I think it sounds cool and hope they keep it

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_arth

I feel the stunts that have been pulled by Sony during E3 and through the media have been 70% hype. Since E3 a lot of the 'features' of the PS3 have been dropped...it seems to me Sony's plan all along has been to release the PS3 stateside x-mas 2006, they won't release next spring, they are just saying that to hopefully get people to wait 4-5 months past the Xbox launch, then when spring comes along, they will make some more hype so the people that have already waited, will wait just 4-5 more months.

Speaking of the PS3's features, I think many more of the features will be dropped by the time the PS3 is released. There is no way they can fit all that stuff in a box under $500, its smoke and mirrors, because by the time they launch (in a year) they will have had time to 'slowly' trim away at the specs so nobody will remember what they claimed...just to take away from the 360s steam.

Sony had some CGI made up to make the system look great, and they are banking on the fact that a system made a year after CGI was done will be able to perform well enough to render those CGI scenes.

Latest Rumors are that the PS3 will also go the 2 Version Route. Considering that Sony DID release a Deluxe model PS2 in Japan (which flopped) that's not a far-fetched idea.

It does seem hard to believe that the PS3 could release as currently stated at anything around $299 but then the Blu-Ray drive is Sony's own format so who knows how much they are willing to suck up in the price on that?

If a cheaper version did not have the Blu-Ray drive then a cheaper PS3 (which also has no HDD anyway) starts to make some sense.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Cut an HDMI output, some USB ports, wifi, the hub feature, multiple mem card support... plenty to trim and still make it a kick ass game system people can afford.
That's exactly what i think sony should cut, to still make it an awesome system.

I don't really need the router, since i already have one.Wi-Fi may or may not get dropped, not sure there.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
It's unlikely that they would drop blu-ray though since they state developers would like that feature to store bigger maps and higher quality CG cutscenes,etc.

If they can get the PS3 at $299 with a blu-ray drive, then dam that would be great!!

I tell you, if that happened a lot of people would have exploded in their pants with joy:D

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:

I think at this point all we have is speculation. the fact of the matter none of us can hide from is Sony is number 1 in the console race. We can either cross our fingers and hope they deliver or bet on a different horse. the momentum is with Sony although I think MS can gain more ground this time. MS also has deeper pockets and are not an easy target like Sega was.

I think what sony did at E3 was 50 percent stunt but 50 percent smart business. Would you have just laid down and let MS have all the glory?

They took the wind out of their sales just bit to keep their loyal fan base from getting too discouraged.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I agree sony for the most part did alright at E3, they sure got a lot of people interested in the PS3, and they did that job very well.

but as what Dean said, yeah it's all speculation untill we here a statement from sony at TGS next month in september.

I guess we will have to wait and see if they can confirm anything.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I think what Sony did at E3 was largely hype. There's no way that they can launch a system with that many features at anything approaching price parity with the 360 IMO.

In the short run, the hype may work for Sony WRT delaying 360 purchases. OTOH, if they don't deliver a package that is near what they said they would @ E3; and at a commensurate price, then they'll face the same backlash that MS has.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Sony announced that the PlayStation 3 will no longer act as a home network router.

That's the biggest announcment I've seen so far, but my guess is they are going to try to keep a lot of the drops hushed until the new year rolls around.

Im just writting my take on the industry and how I think it works.

I am probably not a Fanboy though...Ive owned two xboxs and they both crapped out within a year, so MS's hardware doesnt standup. if we have to be fair and balanced :)
Ha ha, very funny....the router function was never announced at E3 2005....you know that right??

This godawful rumor comes from an interview Ken K. did with Nikkei Electronics for the June issue of the mag.....in that interview he stated that the plan *at one time* (as in, before E3 2005 ) was for router function to be included in PS3, but they decided against it (also before E3)....

Some websites got all mixed up (can't believe they didn't realize PS3 was announced at E3 to have a switching Hub and not a router) and ran with it....

Check out this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=558192

It even has a sound bite from Ken Kutaragi at E3 saying PS3 would have a switching hub (no router)...

Nothing has been dropped from the PS3 feature list sofar...

1 - 20 of 134 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.