AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was playing with a bunch of settings on the camera (I know) and now whenever shooting video not in Auto mode it's WAY too dark. It wasn't a problem before and even not that I went and reset all the factory settings it's still too dark.

Details:
XAVC S HD format
120p 100m (but it's the same regardless of this setting)
16:9 aspect ratio
ISO Auto
AF Illuminator Auto
ND filter off
metering mode multi
white balance auto

Again, when I rotate out of video mode and into Auto shooting mode and press the "record" button the brightness/color is good but then I can't shoot at 120FPS which is what I'd like to do.

Anyone have any suggestion on how to fix this? Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
None of those settings matter.
The question is, what aperture, what shutter speed and what iso?
Thanks for replying. It varies depending on what conditions the camera is in. As an example, in my living room currently as I type this, 1/125, 4.0, ISO Auto. As I walk outside, 1/600, 5.6, ISO Auto.

I do have a +/- on my screen that reads -2.0 that I just noticed. Not sure if that helps but I'm not a camera expert.:eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should also add that this was not the case before I played around with it. It would record with normal exposure/color in 120FPS just fine back then.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
I do have a +/- on my screen that reads -2.0 that I just noticed. Not sure if that helps but I'm not a camera expert.:eek:
Set the +/- to 0 and voila, your video will be brighter! That is the exposure compensation setting, which forces the camera to deviate (plus or minus) from the exposure chosen in auto. By choosing -2, you have chosen to make the picture much darker than warranted.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Could it possibly be that you set the limit in the auto ISO limit too low? 120fps video needs 4 times the light level of 30fps to expose correctly.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Could it possibly be that you set the limit in the auto ISO limit too low? 120fps video needs 4 times the light level of 30fps to expose correctly.
Did you see that he set the ev to -2? That cuts the light to 1/4 of what the normal exposure would be. Let's hear from him about that.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Thanks for replying. It varies depending on what conditions the camera is in. As an example, in my living room currently as I type this, 1/125, 4.0, ISO Auto. As I walk outside, 1/600, 5.6, ISO Auto.

Have you read the operation manual?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Did you see that he set the ev to -2? That cuts the light to 1/4 of what the normal exposure would be. Let's hear from him about that.
Just wondering how he got it to -2 EV without knowing. That required many button pushes, not just once or twice to have gotten that far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Set the +/- to 0 and voila, your video will be brighter! That is the exposure compensation setting, which forces the camera to deviate (plus or minus) from the exposure chosen in auto. By choosing -2, you have chosen to make the picture much darker than warranted.
Thank you very much. That was exactly what it was! I'm new to DSLR style cameras so I appreciate the assistance on smoothing that is probably obvious to the experienced folks here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts