AVS Forum banner

561 - 580 of 2246 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,417 Posts
Whats your speed and HSI provider?

I get 1080p with 6mbps ATT DSL. I have found for awhile with the Sony's, if I have not hit 720p or 1080p by by 2 mins in, i simply stop it and restart it and then it ramps to 1080p quickly.

Every now and then a Netflix Original will not break 720p, but not sure if that is when they are new and high traffic. It's rare though.

Reactions: JoeKustra

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
I always tell people to run www.speedtest.com after 8pm. In the morning when traffic is light it's not a realistic measurement. Well, unless that's when you always watch your movies. I get 30Mbps at 7am every day. But starting about 6pm it drops until 8pm when it can drop to 4Mbps. My cable company is running new cables and amplifiers next week. It also helps if you can get a second opinion. I can test using my router, my Roku and two different PCs. Since I have a Netgear R7500, its "Dynamic QoS" can cause a drop of 2Mbps. So I don't enable it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Whats your speed and HSI provider?

I get 1080p with 6mbps ATT DSL. I have found for awhile with the Sony's, if I have not hit 720p or 1080p by by 2 mins in, i simply stop it and restart it and then it ramps to 1080p quickly.

Every now and then a Netflix Original will not break 720p, but not sure if that is when they are new and high traffic. It's rare though.
I have a download speed of around 17mbps with ATT. The show remained at a constant 720p for the few minutes I had it playing. Out of curiosity I tried playing the same show on my older BD player and it jumped to and remained at 1080p within a minute.

I always tell people to run www.speedtest.com after 8pm. In the morning when traffic is light it's not a realistic measurement. Well, unless that's when you always watch your movies. I get 30Mbps at 7am every day. But starting about 6pm it drops until 8pm when it can drop to 4Mbps. My cable company is running new cables and amplifiers next week. It also helps if you can get a second opinion. I can test using my router, my Roku and two different PCs. Since I have a Netgear R7500, its "Dynamic QoS" can cause a drop of 2Mbps. So I don't enable it.
At night I usually hover at around 15mbps on my ADSL2+ connection.

·
Premium Member
12,417 Posts
Try the jump out and jump back in trick next time.

The night Sense8 released I watched two at like 11pm and I never got over 720p. I figured it was traffic.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Try the jump out and jump back in trick next time.

The night Sense8 released I watched two at like 11pm and I never got over 720p. I figured it was traffic.
I'll give it a go later and see how it goes.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I'll be ordering either the 5500 or 6500 direct from Sony on Monday. I have a $50 credit from them so that will help on the price but I am stuck. Which one should I get? The 5500 or 6500? It will be replacing my broken down S6200. I know the 6500 has 4K upscale but since I aint going 4K thats not a big deal. Can anyone help me out here with some advise? Which one is better? I have until Monday to make up my mind.

:confused:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I'll be ordering either the 5500 or 6500 direct from Sony on Monday. I have a $50 credit from them so that will help on the price but I am stuck. Which one should I get? The 5500 or 6500? It will be replacing my broken down S6200. I know the 6500 has 4K upscale but since I aint going 4K thats not a big deal. Can anyone help me out here with some advise? Which one is better? I have until Monday to make up my mind.

:confused:
Sometime this weekend, I plan to compare a disc or two on the PS3, S5500 & S6500. I want to know if the S6500 is actually better also.

·
UHD Addict
37,085 Posts
Sony Playstation 3 vs Sony BDP-S5500

Here are my comparison pics (and my first attempt at a gif) between the Sony Playstation 3 and the Sony BDP-S5500. Except for a slight horizontal shift, there is ZERO picture quality difference between these two players.

Setup:
136" Carada Criterion 2.35:1 screen (roughly width of 144" 16:9/1.78:1 screen)
13' Viewing Distance
JVC RS46
Canon 70D, Identical exposures for comparison photos, tripod & Remote shooter.

I just wish the PS3 did Dolby TrueHD during 3D playback. The Blu-ray interface is so much nicer. The PS3 responds much faster, smoother FF & RW, 1.5x play...arg. Its almost enough to push me into a PS4...just for 3D+TrueHD (and games...eventually).
I'll take the BDP-s6500 for BD playback over my PS4 or XBOnes any day. I think the S6500 provides a superior experience than the PS4 or XBOne.

The last few nights I used my main S6500 to watch Chappie, Kingsmen-The Secret Service, and 3D Jupiter Ascending. It was easily a better experience than using my PS4 or XBOnes for BD playback.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I'll take the BDP-s6500 for BD playback over my PS4 or XBOnes any day. I think the S6500 provides a superior experience than the PS4 or XBOne.

The last few nights I used my main S6500 to watch Chappie, Kingsmen-The Secret Service, and 3D Jupiter Ascending. It was easily a better experience than using my PS4 or XBOnes for BD playback.
If that's true, then I expect to see an improvement with the S6500 over the S5500. Either that or the PS4 is WORSE than the PS3....or of course, its psychological. :D

As far as control goes, my PS3 handles FF and RW much smoother than the S5500, plus it has slow-mo and 1.5x to zip through special features...

·
UHD Addict
37,085 Posts
If that's true, then I expect to see an improvement with the S6500 over the S5500. Either that or the PS4 is WORSE than the PS3....or of course, its psychological. :D

As far as control goes, my PS3 handles FF and RW much smoother than the S5500, plus it has slow-mo and 1.5x to zip through special features...
No idea about slow-mo or FF/REW at 1.5x. Those are features I never use when watching a BD.

The noise from the PS4 BD transport alone is enough to disqualify a PS4 for me. Every PS4 I've ever seen has had a noisy BD disc player. The S6500 is very quiet in comparison.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
No idea about slow-mo or FF/REW at 1.5x. Those are features I never use when watching a BD.

The noise from the PS4 BD transport alone is enough to disqualify a PS4 for me. Every PS4 I've ever seen has had a noisy BD disc player. The S6500 is very quiet in comparison.
My gear is in a different room. Also, the volume of the movie is easily louder than a tiny fan. ;)

I'm looking purely from a PQ standpoint.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi guys. My ps3 just died and I'm looking for a Blu-ray player replacement. Keys for me are Netflix streaming, playing files from a flash drive (mp4 is a must, but mkv would be nice, too), and easy to use (simple menus and remote). I never used the ps3 for gaming. I've read positive reviews of the 5500 and 6500, but I'm not very technical and could use some help in choosing which to buy. Thanks very much!

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Hi guys. My ps3 just died and I'm looking for a Blu-ray player replacement. Keys for me are Netflix streaming, playing files from a flash drive (mp4 is a must, but mkv would be nice, too), and easy to use (simple menus and remote). I never used the ps3 for gaming. I've read positive reviews of the 5500 and 6500, but I'm not very technical and could use some help in choosing which to buy. Thanks very much!
To get a comparison of the two players, go to the Sony site: http://store.sony.com/streaming-blu-ray-dvd-players/cat-27-catid-All-Blu-ray-DVD-Players. No accuracy checking, and the S6500 is supposed to be faster. I can stream Amazon ok. I'm sure a Netflix user will help you out. Maybe you could search the thread for "Netflix" and see what you find. As for "simple menus and remote", good luck with that.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If you have a 5500 or 3500, does the main menu contain IP Content Noise Reduction? Some of Sony's information says yes, but it is not included in the online manual (it should appear on pages 28-29).

I am curious if it may be as effective, or nearly so, as the 6500's IP Content NR Pro.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I can stream Amazon ok.
You would be the first. Details please! How long does it take to go from sub-SD to HD quality, or more objectively, for the "HD" indicator to go from gray to white in the Amazon UI? Myself and others have reported up to a minute, and there is no reprieve when skipping back or forward. It's unusable, and it does NOT occur on my PC, which is on the same wired network. Netflix, however, is fine on my S1500.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
You would be the first. Details please! How long does it take to go from sub-SD to HD quality, or more objectively, for the "HD" indicator to go from gray to white in the Amazon UI? Myself and others have reported up to a minute, and there is no reprieve when skipping back or forward. It's unusable, and it does NOT occur on my PC, which is on the same wired network. Netflix, however, is fine on my S1500.
Amazon: Using my S6500, it can take from 60 to 120 seconds. I am not impressed either. I find the best device (I own) is my TiVo Roamio. It gets 1080/p24 almost instantly. My Roku fails at p24, but handles the DD+. I guess Sony needs an update or maybe to try harder with their Amazon streaming interface. Better than my S6200 though, so I can see progress. I use my S6200 and S6500 on the same wireless adapter (Netgear EX6200), and the TiVo uses an ASUS EA-N66R. I do not have a subscription for Netflix and I am only using Amazon trailers until I get better speed on my internet. My Sony 40W600B sucks too. That's the story.

·
UHD Addict
37,085 Posts
If you have a 5500 or 3500, does the main menu contain IP Content Noise Reduction? Some of Sony's information says yes, but it is not included in the online manual (it should appear on pages 28-29).

I am curious if it may be as effective, or nearly so, as the 6500's IP Content NR Pro.
I thought the 5xxx series had the IP noise reduction but the 6XXX and higher had the IP Noise Reduction Pro? At least that seemed to be the case for the last few years.

EDIT: Yes. I just looked at the S5500 manual online. It lists "IP Content Noise Reduction"

While the S6500 has IP content Noise Reduction Pro.
My S5100 also has the non pro version. WHile my S6200 and S6500 have the pro versions.

561 - 580 of 2246 Posts