AVS Forum banner

621 - 640 of 2253 Posts

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Thanks Dreamliner. Yeah, looks like SBM doesn't do a heck of a lot, if anything. The S5500 is looking more appealing ...
Mine arrived today. Did a quick check and looks okay. Weekend is gonna be busy.. ;)
for $48 (effectively), I don't have to complain. Hope it does not die on me suddenly..

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I'm curious if anyone else has the vertical line on the left or right side? I have a vertical green line on the left side during loading screens, and you can see in the comparison pics from my earlier post that there is a slight image shift on the 5500...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Owners of the 5500, 3500, or 1500: Can you confirm that your player has an IP Noise Reduction setting in the main menu under Screen Settings or in the Options menu while you are streaming?

Thank you!
Well, I have a new 6500 and it does not have it in settings or while I stream amazon. Options button does nothing while streaming. Just FYI
Chip

·
Registered
8,829 Posts
Well, I have a new 6500 and it does not have it in settings or while I stream amazon. Options button does nothing while streaming. Just FYI
Chip
I wonder why they took IP Noise Reduction Pro away from your new S6500? I have it in my old S6500 under Setup/Screen Settings, just like my S6200.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I got my S5500 today and now I cant touch it because my loving wife who ordered it for me a week ago says I have to wait until tomorrow because its my birthday gift!!!! :mad: Oh the torcher this is now causing me!! :crying: LOL

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I got my S5500 today and now I cant touch it because my loving wife who ordered it for me a week ago says I have to wait until tomorrow because its my birthday gift!!!! :mad: Oh the torcher this is now causing me!! :crying: LOL
Tell her like Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve, it's the BirthDay Eve and it's allowed.. ;)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Chip
Thank you, Chip, but I was asking about the Sony 5500, 3500, or 1500.

Your 6500 does have IP Content NR Pro, though. You'll find it in the main menu under Screen Settings. Scroll down near the end of the list and you will see it.

Give it a try, you might like the small but worthwhile improvement it makes to the picture while streaming. So far, I've preferred a setting of Film 2.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
If money were not a problem (but it is) which blu-ray player should I buy? (I already have Darbee) S66000, S7200, Oppo, ???
Thank you

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Hello,
If money were not a problem (but it is) which blu-ray player should I buy? (I already have Darbee) S66000, S7200, Oppo, ???
Thank you
5500 if you don't stream all the time. If your really big into streaming, the 6500 has a bit more power (zero difference in Blu-ray playback).

Quality is identical, see link in sig.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Hello,
Thank you
money were not a problem = oppo
else = anything that fits the budget for the purpose

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
money were not a problem = oppo
else = anything that fits the budget for the purpose
I would never own an Oppo without a backup. I've seen many posts where Oppo owners are having trouble with Blu-rays because of this or that (branching seems to come up a lot) and I've had no issues with my PS3 (except for the inability to play simultaneous 3D & Dolby TrueHD).

Most Oppo owners probably already have another Blu-ray player, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thank you, Chip, but I was asking about the Sony 5500, 3500, or 1500.

Your 6500 does have IP Content NR Pro, though. You'll find it in the main menu under Screen Settings. Scroll down near the end of the list and you will see it.

Give it a try, you might like the small but worthwhile improvement it makes to the picture while streaming. So far, I've preferred a setting of Film 2.
I stand corrected. I found it, thank you for the direction.:)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Well my wife last night finally let me set up my S5500 and here are my impressions of it. First I didnt think I would like it asthetic wise but I was wrong. Good solid build quality and it dont feel cheap to me like last years models did. No more pesky finger print issues and it dont seem prone to scratches. I like the look. Setup was a simple breeze and and I hard wired it to my router and it downloaded the firmware updates fast and quick unlike my old S6200 which seemed to have a hard time down loading firmware updates. I tested out a few of my reference Blu's and disc loading was very fast. Paired up with my Sony AVR and Sony 55W900A PQ was excellent as well as audio. I wasnt bothered at all by the 5500 not having a front end display while playing movies and I noticed no humming sound or any noise coming from the player while it was doing its thing. Over all I am very very satisfied with this little player and cant wait to play some full length movies this weekend. I think I am good now for awhile when it comes to Blu ray players so there wont be any upgrades on Blu ray players anytime soon. I finally have what I have been lookin for and my wife is happy about that! :D

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Steve:

A belated happy birthday and wishing you much enjoyment with the 5500.

If you stream Netflix or Hulu and have an opportunity, could you please check if the player has IP Noise Reduction? If the 5500 has that feature it would be in either the Options menu (likely available only while streaming) or in the main menu (under Screen Settings).

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Steve:

A belated happy birthday and wishing you much enjoyment with the 5500.

If you stream Netflix or Hulu and have an opportunity, could you please check if the player has IP Noise Reduction? If the 5500 has that feature it would be in either the Options menu (likely available only while streaming) or in the main menu (under Screen Settings).

Thank you!

Thanks Alex for the belated birthday wish. I didnt stream any movies from Netflix or Hulu as of yet but I did check to see if my 5500 had IP Noise Reduction under screen settings and I didnt see it. Checked to see if it had it under other settings and again I didnt see it so Sony may have left it off this years models or at least the 5500. Honestly I never used it on my previous Sony Blu ray players, the 5100 and 6200 so I dont think I will miss it on my 5500. I have IP Noise Reduction on my Sony KDL 55W900A and I have it set to off as well.

621 - 640 of 2253 Posts