AVS Forum banner

721 - 740 of 2253 Posts

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
OK. I was just curious as I know both my TVs can display 1080/24, as they display it for blu-ray fine.

I'm still trying to decide which is the better streamer too, the Roku or the Sony, as far as available content, the Roku has the sony beat. For apps that both units share such as Netflix amazon, VUDU, etc. they seem to be about the same, only Roku's apps seem to be direct unlike son versions.
My TV doesn't have an indicator for 1080/p24. It's a Sony 40W600B. I like the Roku 3 which I use almost daily, mostly with Pandora. Both are equal with DNLA, but Sony does great with DVD and Blu-ray. Like you said, Sony seems to get in the way of some applications. I also think the setup UI sucks, but I don't use it much anyhow. The Roku has very good wireless. The Sony not so much. When it come to streaming video I only have Prime, but I use my TiVo for that since it has a great UI and 1080/p24. As an aside, I noticed that CNN uses DD EX 6.1.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
My TV doesn't have an indicator for 1080/p24. It's a Sony 40W600B. I like the Roku 3 which I use almost daily, mostly with Pandora. Both are equal with DNLA, but Sony does great with DVD and Blu-ray. Like you said, Sony seems to get in the way of some applications. I also think the setup UI sucks, but I don't use it much anyhow. The Roku has very good wireless. The Sony not so much. When it come to streaming video I only have Prime, but I use my TiVo for that since it has a great UI and 1080/p24. As an aside, I noticed that CNN uses DD EX 6.1.

The TVs don't so much indicate the format, but more the device e.g. the sony will tell me which mode it's in on optical media when hitting display. I recently replaced my Roku 3 with a 2015 Roku 2 which is the same box as the Roku 3 but doesn't have the fancy remote, which is OK. I don't use the gaming features. and while the remote is IR based it's ok, most remotes are and it gives the option of a universal remote compatibility .

The one big thing I've noticed in owning Sony devices is, they get them usable, but they don't get them perfect before the next release. There are always some glitches, even if they are small. I have to say though, out of the blu-ray players I've owned, sony seems the most reliable for a BDP.

Joe, the other thing I like about the Roku over the sony is it's a good cable replacement and even has a lot of live TV feeds of different kinds, some that you could even get from a cable package depending on channel. Part of me wishes Sony still offered a plain BD player without all the smart features as I think they try to do too much. I know though that people like just one device, and I would too but because I have a big stake in apple media I can't until there is a single device that does everything, other then a full computer system.

I tried building a home theater PC based on Linux but from a DRM prospective found Linux very hard to deal with because of content providers. At least Chrome incorporates native netflix support so I have that on Linux now, maybe some days the others will follow and adobe flash will die.

·
Registered
613 Posts

I tried building a home theater PC based on Linux but from a DRM prospective found Linux very hard to deal with because of content providers. At least Chrome incorporates native netflix support so I have that on Linux now, maybe some days the others will follow and adobe flash will die.
You will have your wish sooner, rather than later.

The replacement for Internet Explorer and DirectX under Windows 10 is Microsoft Edge. Edge doesn't use plug-ins, as it's an HTML5-based browser. Expect Firefox/Waterfox to follow this trend.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts

The replacement for Internet Explorer and DirectX under Windows 10 is Microsoft Edge. Edge doesn't use plug-ins, as it's an HTML5-based browser. Expect Firefox/Waterfox to follow this trend.

Never heard of Waterfox, is it a new fork of firefox?

As far as the home theater PC, I would be happy using OS X if i was using it on a desktop, not a laptop so it could be dedicated as a media server / machine. but there is one problem.

Many of the content providers I use, use either Silverlight or flash on the site. Netflix is the first to transition to HTML5. The problem with this is Flash doesn't recognize HDCP on external displays for certain content providers so content is stuck at SD. Even with Netflix it seems to be stuck at 720p unless the browser is specifically supported for higher resolutions.

I respect Copyright laws and copy protections, as I am a content producer myself. Sometimes I think people take DRM too far though.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I ended up returning the S5500. The only benefit over the PS3 is the ability to play simultaneous Dolby True HD & 3D. I really wish Sony would have fixed that PS3 bug. I'll grab a PS4 when the next revision comes out. But for now, I'm done with these stand alone players. The interface is not as smooth as a PS3 and no 1.5x speed with audio. (good for breezing through special features).

·
Registered
15,143 Posts
Panasonic has 1.5x with audio. The biggest thing I hate about using game consoles is the difficulty and expense of using a remote.

·
Registered
613 Posts

Never heard of Waterfox, is it a new fork of firefox?

As far as the home theater PC, I would be happy using OS X if i was using it on a desktop, not a laptop so it could be dedicated as a media server / machine. but there is one problem.

Many of the content providers I use, use either Silverlight or flash on the site. Netflix is the first to transition to HTML5. The problem with this is Flash doesn't recognize HDCP on external displays for certain content providers so content is stuck at SD. Even with Netflix it seems to be stuck at 720p unless the browser is specifically supported for higher resolutions.

I respect Copyright laws and copy protections, as I am a content producer myself. Sometimes I think people take DRM too far though.
Waterfox is the 64-bit version of 32-bit Firefox:
https://www.waterfoxproject.org/

It's not new, as it been around since 2011. It's one of the fastest browsers available.

See how well your browser complies with HTML5 material:
http://html5test.com/

BTW, Silverlight is to be deprecated as well.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Panasonic has 1.5x with audio. The biggest thing I hate about using game consoles is the difficulty and expense of using a remote.
Oh. I just bought one of those adapter things and I use my Harmony. When spending thousands on a home theater, what's another $25? :p

·
UHD Addict
37,452 Posts
I ended up returning the S5500. The only benefit over the PS3 is the ability to play simultaneous Dolby True HD & 3D. I really wish Sony would have fixed that PS3 bug. I'll grab a PS4 when the next revision comes out. But for now, I'm done with these stand alone players. The interface is not as smooth as a PS3 and no 1.5x speed with audio. (good for breezing through special features).
It's not a bug with the PS3 and Dolby True HD & 3D.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
No adapter will work on PS4, so better stick with your 3.

My BD players aren't much more than $25, so I wouldn't do that.
The new Harmonys have Bluetooth and can't power on/off PS4, but you're right, no IR adapter.

It's not a bug with the PS3 and Dolby True HD & 3D.
It's clearly capable of lossless + 3D (DTS-HD + 3D works fine), seems like a bug to me...

·
UHD Addict
37,452 Posts
The new Harmonys have Bluetooth and can't power on/off PS4, but you're right, no IR adapter.

It's clearly capable of lossless + 3D (DTS-HD + 3D works fine), seems like a bug to me...
It's not a bug in that Sony specifically did not have this feature for a reason initially. Just like they didn't have it with DTS-HD + 3D initially either. That was a feature they initially omitted on purpose. Later they added DTS-HD +3D but never added DOlby True HD + 3D. It was a programming decision.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
It's not a bug in that Sony specifically did not have this feature for a reason initially. Just like they didn't have it with DTS-HD + 3D initially either. That was a feature they initially omitted on purpose. Later they added DTS-HD +3D but never added DOlby True HD + 3D. It was a programming decision.
"decision"...more like "omission" or "error".
If you have a new Harmony, why are you still using an adapter on the PS3? It works via bluetooth as well.
I don't have a new Harmony, I've considered it, but I'm a bit too addicted to buttons, the new remotes don't have many. Using a PS4 controller fine if I needed to.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Now that Gracenote has been fixed I will say that my 5500 is the best all around Blu ray player I have ever owned and I have owned a few of Sony's Blu ray players. It will be in my HT rig for a very long time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
New firmware update for the BDPS5500 available through the settings menu. Isn't available on the Sony support website, so no information on what it changes.Version M25.R.0215

Reactions: JoeKustra

·
Registered
65 Posts
From Sony's support website for the BDPS5500:

File Description UPDATE Blu-ray Disc Player Firmware Update Release Date 7/28/2015 Version M25.R.0215 File Size 123.90 MB

This utility upgrades the Blu-ray Disc™ Player firmware to version M25.R.0215 and provides the following benefits: Improvement over firmware version M25.R.0214

• Corrects a playback condition for specific FLAC format files
Benefits provided by previous upgrades and included in version M25.R.0215:

• Improves network services
  • Improves a condition where the player hangs during YouTube® playback after playing a CD
  • Improves Wi-Fi® router connectivity to address an issue after connecting the BD player to a LAN
  • Adds support for the new PlayStation™ Now service

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Not important but interesting: The operating system selection for the S5500 does not include Windows 8.1, only updates for the S6500 have that version. Like I said, not important.

721 - 740 of 2253 Posts