AVS Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 2253 Posts

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Can anyone attest to whether the S5500 outputs regular Dolby Digital, DD Plus, or PCM when watching Netflix? My receiver can't handle DD+.
Sorry to hear about your receiver. But Amazon also sends DD+. If you want to stop that:

BD Audio Mix Setting. If ON, you will get stereo output

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
My Sony Blue Ray player seems to have an issue while connected to the receiver (Maratnz SR6010) to view via projector (EPSON 6030) but works without any issues when connected to my TV (Samsung UHD) directly. I can just guess that its an issue with some settings in the BD player that works fine with Samsung TV but not with Marantz receiver. Anyone has suggestions on how to resolve this issue.

Mostly the video goes on/off every 2-3 seconds OR is completely off with "No Signal" message. The audio works just fine.
My guess is that it is a HDMI issue... Different devices have different ways of handshaking... My Denon player will not work with my Pioneer AVR but works fine with my Onkyo AVR. Getting a better HDMI cable might resolve the issue. Depending on how long and brand of cable you have, you could be getting signal loss.

I was getting crappy handshaking with my projector for a long time, taking 5-10 seconds for the video to appear, but audio synched immediately. I upgraded to an active HDMI cable and everything now works fine. I was using an old MIT 35 ft HDMI cable and now using a Monster Black Platinum 35 ft cable. HDMI cable quality is pretty important when you are using runs over 15 ft. You should always use an active cable with long runs. The Monster I bought and longer Monoprice cables offer active circuitry that amplifies or corrects the signal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Remember, Sony players can only access wi-fi at 2.4GHz... My Samsung display can connect at either 2.4/5GHz....

I actually used wire connection with s6500. netflix and vudu looks very good with 1080p. Youtube video info setting says dimension 720p dash (136/140), amazon also looks like 720p.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The other problem I have with s6500 is when quick start mode off will not turn on with hdmi pluged in. With quick mode on, I have to unplug hdmi cable once then it will always work.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sorry to hear about your receiver. But Amazon also sends DD+. If you want to stop that:

BD Audio Mix Setting. If ON, you will get stereo output
Actually my receiver can do DD+, but it has a problem with the encoding used by Netflix specifically -- it's fine with Amazon and others. My PS3, which I'm hoping to retire, transcodes DD+ to DD so my receiver doesn't have a problem. I was hoping this Sony player would have the same feature, but it seems not.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej
You have region A PAL discs? I didn't know there was such a thing. This player isn't multi-region.
He probably meant 1080i/50 files
Yes. I have some concert Blu-rays are encoded in 1080i50 video ( mainly from Europe and Asia), but they are region free.

To answer my own question, from my research, seems north American Sony players just don't support outputing 50Hz contents in general.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yes. I have some concert Blu-rays are encoded in 1080i50 video ( mainly from Europe and Asia), but they are region free.

To answer my own question, from my research, seems north American Sony players just don't support outputing 50Hz contents in general.
Many do (like Pioneers and Oppos)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thought I would share my settings from my 6500 for anyone new to the players. Feel free to suggest different if I have something set wrong. This is setup going to a receiver for sound.

Video:
Screen Format: Normal
DVD Aspect Ratio: Letter Box
Cinema Conversion Mode: Auto
Output Video Resolution: Auto
24p Output: Auto for everything
4K Output: Off (I don't have a 4K TV)
YCbCr/RGB (HDMI): YCbCr (4:4:4)
HDMI Deep Color Output: Off
SBM: Off (could be on depending on your preference, it's considered an enhancer)
IP Content NR Pro: Off
From the Options Menu during Playback, I have video set to Direct.

Audio:
Digital Audio Output: Auto to Bitstream, PCM for PCM. Personal preference on this one I think.
DSD Output Mode: Off
BD Audio Mix Setting: Off
Digital Music Enhancer: Off
Dolby D Compatible Output: Off
Audio DRC: Off
Downmix: Surround

·
UHD Addict
37,500 Posts
I use both of my S6500's with SBM off and Deep Color on. And they send YCbCr (4:4:4)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Could anyone confirm if the BDP-S5500 can play FLAC files through DLNA?
The operating manual states "may not play this format on a DLNA server", but this seems more like a limitation from the server side.

I have a huge FLAC collection and this will be my decision factor for buying it or not.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
I use both of my S6500's with SBM off and Deep Color on. And they send YCbCr (4:4:4)
Could you clarify. I can select Deep Color to Auto, 16bit, 12bit, 10bit and Off. I can select RCbCr to Auto, 4:2:2, 4:4:4 and RBG. Can I assume you set 4:4:4 and Auto? Or do we have different firmware? Maybe I'm confusing the results with the settings?

·
UHD Addict
37,500 Posts
Could you clarify. I can select Deep Color to Auto, 16bit, 12bit, 10bit and Off. I can select RCbCr to Auto, 4:2:2, 4:4:4 and RBG. Can I assume you set 4:4:4 and Auto? Or do we have different firmware? Maybe I'm confusing the results with the settings?
I have YCbCr set for auto. ANd Deep Color is set for auto. They send 4:4:4 and 12bit(36bit) Deep color.

Reactions: JoeKustra

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sound not dynamic

Recently bought a S-6500 (replacing a 5200). I used to play loud at -17 reference level. Now I need to go to -11 and it still seems less dynamic. Do I need to modify the default audio settings? How so?

·
Registered
905 Posts
As a previous owner of a Sony BDP-S5100, would this be a good logical next blu-ray player?

My S5100 crapped out a while back and I've been using my Xbox One to watch movies, however I'd like to get a stand alone one and while my S5100 crapped the bed (tray just stopped working, I opened it up and took it apart to get the disc out and it simply wouldn't work. It would not recognize discs either) I really liked it while I had it.

Would the S5500 be a next logical blu-ray player to get? Is this basically the updated version of that player?

·
UHD Addict
37,500 Posts
As a previous owner of a Sony BDP-S5100, would this be a good logical next blu-ray player?

My S5100 crapped out a while back and I've been using my Xbox One to watch movies, however I'd like to get a stand alone one and while my S5100 crapped the bed (tray just stopped working, I opened it up and took it apart to get the disc out and it simply wouldn't work. It would not recognize discs either) I really liked it while I had it.

Would the S5500 be a next logical blu-ray player to get? Is this basically the updated version of that player?
The S6200 seemed to be an update to the S5100. At least that seemed to be the case when I upgraded my S5100. So the S6200 had two USB ports. But now even the S6500 only has one USB port.

·
Registered
905 Posts
The S6200 seemed to be an update to the S5100. At least that seemed to be the case when I upgraded my S5100. So the S6200 had two USB ports. But now even the S6500 only has one USB port.
I'm not really looking for the upgraded version of the S5100, as in the one that is the next step up in features. I'm looking more along the lines of the same features as the S5100 but in the current model. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I don't care about the USB ports in general, nor the 4K that I see in the S6500. I also don't care about the wifi stuff as I have my network hardwired into my HT.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have YCbCr set for auto. ANd Deep Color is set for auto. They send 4:4:4 and 12bit(36bit) Deep color.
Not to get into a theory discussion, but aren't blu-rays 4:2:0? And wouldn't 4:2:2 be closer to that?

As far as Deep Color goes, no Blu-Ray uses it from my understanding so it would be a enhancer.

I could be wrong, but from the research I've been doing when setting up my player, these are my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
I keep Deep Color off.

Yes blu-rays are 4:2:0, but in my experience I have seen more potential for color banding when you output 4:2:2 vs 4:4:4. Ratatouille has a good scene for testing this.

So I use ycbcr 444, DC off and SBM off.

·
UHD Addict
37,500 Posts
Not to get into a theory discussion, but aren't blu-rays 4:2:0? And wouldn't 4:2:2 be closer to that?

As far as Deep Color goes, no Blu-Ray uses it from my understanding so it would be a enhancer.

I could be wrong, but from the research I've been doing when setting up my player, these are my thoughts.
I send Deep Color to my display since that is what I calibrated it with. The only question is whether the device sends 36 bit Deep color or my video processor converts it from 24 bit to 36 bit.

1101 - 1120 of 2253 Posts