AVS Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 2253 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sony Upscaling Blu-ray Player looks kind fuzzy on tv?

for give me i am new here so i hope i posted this at the right place so here i go ok i have the LG 55UF6800 and i just bought the Sony BDPS6500 the issue is the blurays when it upscale's them it like really fuzzy in the pic kinda like the sharpness is almost all the way up i have the good hdmi cable to handle it i can really notice it when your like 3 feet away from the tv but when u are and 7 to 8 feet you don't see it all the time on some scenes in the movie you can no matter how far away you are and when i switch it to just do 1080/60p it will all mos do a way with in completely is this a normal thing that blu player the upscale do??? if not any suggestions for fixing this and my hdmi cable is a monster not the best one but in the middle thanks zack

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
for give me i am new here so i hope i posted this at the right place so here i go ok i have the LG 55UF6800 and i just bought the Sony BDPS6500 the issue is the blurays when it upscale's them it like really fuzzy in the pic kinda like the sharpness is almost all the way up i have the good hdmi cable to handle it i can really notice it when your like 3 feet away from the tv but when u are and 7 to 8 feet you don't see it all the time on some scenes in the movie you can no matter how far away you are and when i switch it to just do 1080/60p it will all mos do a way with in completely is this a normal thing that blu player the upscale do??? if not any suggestions for fixing this and my hdmi cable is a monster not the best one but in the middle thanks zack
Interesting. I have heard of upscaling for DVD but never a Blu-ray. But on my S6500 I have it set to not upscale and use original resolution and never observed anything close to fuzzy. I'm feeding a Sony 40W600b through an AVR. I have mostly Monoprice Redmere technology, but not all. I thought movies were 1080/p24? If your TV doesn't support 24fps, that could be the reason. Just a guess.

·
UHD Addict
37,481 Posts
Then let your TV do the upscaling to 2160P. And only output 1080P from the BD player. It's going to be upscaled to 2160P, whether the TV does it or the BD player does it. But I would expect the TV to do a better job upscaling than a $150 BD player. But I guess you really never know until you test them. ANd it sounds like your TV is doing a better job than the BD player.

Reactions: Zach Shafer

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
I agree, I would send out the native format to a 4K tv and let the 4K tv handle it.

·
Registered
905 Posts
The trend has been that the later models have less features than older ones. What are you hoping to gain?
I'm not looking to gain anything, I'm looking to have the same features/quality as my previous player. I'm trying to replace a broken player. I thought this was pretty clear but I guess not.

·
Registered
15,144 Posts
I'm not looking to gain anything, I'm looking to have the same features/quality as my previous player. I'm trying to replace a broken player. I thought this was pretty clear but I guess not.
The new models are essentially the same as your old one except for the added gaming capability and a bit more speed. Any model that meets all your requirements will be fine. IMO, the 6500 is a better value than the 5500, especially if you plan to sell it later.

·
Registered
905 Posts
The new models are essentially the same as your old one except for the added gaming capability and a bit more speed. Any model that meets all your requirements will be fine. IMO, the 6500 is a better value than the 5500, especially if you plan to sell it later.
I don't have any plans to sell it, it will probably break after a while like the S5100 did lol.

Other than the 4K upscaling (which I don't care about at all) what features does the 6500 have over the 5500? That is all I saw on the comparison chart on amazon.

·
Registered
15,144 Posts
I don't have any plans to sell it, it will probably break after a while like the S5100 did lol.

Other than the 4K upscaling (which I don't care about at all) what features does the 6500 have over the 5500? That is all I saw on the comparison chart on amazon.
That's pretty much it besides more video processing and noise reduction options, all of which I immediately turn off anyway. Since you have to plans to resell and don't care about 4k, sounds like the 5500 is the way to go, if you're buying new. I prefer to buy used. I haven't spent more than $40 on any BD player in a long time.

·
Registered
905 Posts
That's pretty much it besides more video processing and noise reduction options, all of which I immediately turn off anyway. Since you have to plans to resell and don't care about 4k, sounds like the 5500 is the way to go, if you're buying new. I prefer to buy used. I haven't spent more than $40 on any BD player in a long time.
Cool thanks. I think I'll just grab it on Amazon new it's $74 right now and I can have it by tonight lol.

·
Registered
14,849 Posts
Cool thanks. I think I'll just grab it on Amazon new it's $74 right now and I can have it by tonight lol.
It's also supposed to be able to play SACDs, but presumably that's not something you're interested in.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
What's up with the pricing on Amazon? Just saw the price on the 6500. Its like how do you not buy one. 6600 coming out? I have a dual hdmi out Panasonic BDT310 that I'm sure I could sell for a few bucks to offset the cost of a new 6500.

·
Registered
14,849 Posts
What features are you looking for in the 6500 that aren't in your Panasonic? Streaming probably would be the biggest improvement.

I recently bought a 6500 (replacing a Sony s590) for its SACD support and to try to eliminate dropouts when playing Atmos BDs. It turns out that most of the dropouts actually were caused by an ever-so-slightly not-fully-seated HDMI cable. *sigh*

The s6500's hardware itself is pathetically bottom-of-the-line. It uses a "wall-wart" power supply, has only a single HDMI connection (unlike your Panasonic and previous "top of the line" Sony players), and has only a single coax for digital audio, with no analog audio outputs. Oh, and to add insult to injury the PCM generated by their Dolby and DTS decoders is only stereo.

·
UHD Addict
37,481 Posts
That why you bitstream to a receiver or speaker bar. This is what I do with both of my S6500s. One bitstreams to a Denon receiver and the other bitstreams to a SOny speaker bar.

Nine years ago I sent PCM from my BD players. But I stopped doing that in 2008/2009 and started bitstreaming from them instead.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
What's up with the pricing on Amazon? Just saw the price on the 6500. Its like how do you not buy one. 6600 coming out? I have a dual hdmi out Panasonic BDT310 that I'm sure I could sell for a few bucks to offset the cost of a new 6500.

Two months CES will have new blu and UHD players. End of lifecycle and holidays.

Since the 7200 will be in year two its due for a replacement. Id guess the 7 series may be their UHD player.

·
Registered
14,849 Posts
That why you bitstream to a receiver or speaker bar. This is what I do with both of my S6500s. One bitstreams to a Denon receiver and the other bitstreams to a SOny speaker bar.

Nine years ago I sent PCM from my BD players. But I stopped doing that in 2008/2009 and started bitstreaming from them instead.
Unfortunately, D+M's 2015 AVR and pre/pro models don't apply Dolby Surround upmixing to any of the bitstreamed DTS audio formats. So if you want to experience that upmixing with most BDs, the player first has to decode their soundtracks to LPCM. This limitation is not present in current AVRs from most other companies.

The hope is that this defect will be fixed after the release of the DTS:X firmware, but that won't happen for several more months, maybe not until summer for their lower-end models. Fortunately for me, this is not a problem with D+M's 2014 models, which happily upmix all of the audio encoding formats. The 2014 models don't support the newest HDCP as needed for 4K, though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm new to bluray, replacing a jvc dvd player, have stacks of dvds where some I'll eventually get blurays of but most I doubt I will. I have a 55" samsung hdtv.

I narrowed it down to a sony bluray player so read this thread from the start when I had time over the past few days but only saw a couple passing comments on the s1500 - that's the one I'm leaning toward since the others in this line have features/capability I don't really care about (4k/3d, streaming).

what I'm wondering is if the s1500 would be as good at dvd upscaling as I see some comments about the 5500/6500? I realize no dvd is going to look spectacular but is playback quality/disc performance (bluray or dvd) poorer because the s1500 is a stripped down model?

also I think I read that only the s6500 allows one to resume a disc? so the other models like s1500 I'd put in a dvd I started a previous night and would have to find where I left off myself?

1121 - 1140 of 2253 Posts