AVS Forum banner

1141 - 1160 of 2253 Posts

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
I'm new to bluray, replacing a jvc dvd player, have stacks of dvds where some I'll eventually get blurays of but most I doubt I will. I have a 55" samsung hdtv.

I narrowed it down to a sony bluray player so read this thread from the start when I had time over the past few days but only saw a couple passing comments on the s1500 - that's the one I'm leaning toward since the others in this line have features/capability I don't really care about (4k/3d, streaming).

what I'm wondering is if the s1500 would be as good at dvd upscaling as I see some comments about the 5500/6500? I realize no dvd is going to look spectacular but is playback quality/disc performance (bluray or dvd) poorer because the s1500 is a stripped down model?

also I think I read that only the s6500 allows one to resume a disc? so the other models like s1500 I'd put in a dvd I started a previous night and would have to find where I left off myself?
I recently installed an S1500 on my sister's TV. I thought it was very good on DVD upscale, especially since the TV was a cheap 32". I can't tell how it will look on a larger screen. But I got it for $59 at BB. I can not detect any increase in DVD quality with my Sony 40W600B and an S6500. But I don't watch many DVDs either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Could anyone confirm if the BDP-S5500 can play FLAC files through DLNA?
The operating manual states "may not play this format on a DLNA server", but this seems more like a limitation from the server side.

I have a huge FLAC collection and this will be my decision factor for buying it or not.

Thanks
Well I quote myself...
I finally purchased the unit and I can confirm that it plays FLAC files over network from a server running Twonky.
Just to let know if anyone else was interested.

Regards

·
Registered
12 Posts
Now another thing, this time about video:
I noticed the 1080 image is shifted 1 pixel to the right; that is, there is 1 line lost at the right end.
I checked this issue with the video "Sharpness & Overscan" included in the AVS HD calibration set, played from network.
The video looks OK from other devices using the same input and HDMI cable.
Has anyone experienced this? Could you test the same pattern and check the result?
Is my unit faulty?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I just hooked up my S5500 and am having trouble getting HD sound out of this thing, it just keeps going to DD PL2.

Anyone know wtf is up with this?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I hooked up my 6500 yesterday and the picture looked amazing while watching mad max fury road. Went through all the settings and made the necessary adjustments and updated the firmware. Not a bad player for $90.

·
UHD Addict
37,438 Posts
I hooked up my 6500 yesterday and the picture looked amazing while watching mad max fury road. Went through all the settings and made the necessary adjustments and updated the firmware. Not a bad player for $90.
FOr $90 it's an excellent player. I paid around 50% more for mine.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Do I have to install Amazon on the player? On the box it says 300+ streaming apps but when I select all apps theres only about 30. Im an amazon prime member so I'd like to stream the instant video but I cant figure out how.

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Do I have to install Amazon on the player? On the box it says 300+ streaming apps but when I select all apps theres only about 30. Im an amazon prime member so I'd like to stream the instant video but I cant figure out how.
Very strange. Amazon is on the left, which means you can't change it. Amazon, Netflix, VUDU, Hulu+, MLB and Pandora are in my left side. You get the added apps my using the Opera app, and adding them to the right box. PlayStation is also on the Featured apps. The recommendation box is empty on mine right now.

Gracenote doesn't work either.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
As Joe said, the Amazon app is always listed (you cannot delete it) on the left side of the main page that comes up when you power up the player. Click on Amazon and sign in.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Connect the player to the internet... A lot of the apps are missing out of the box. When you download and update the player, the missing apps will appear. Sony does this on apps that get updated by the vendor. That way, you get the latest app for that vendor.

The drawback is that the Sony will ALWAYS check for updates when accessing the internet and download and install updated apps even if it is something you do not use. That's why you get stuck on that updating 3/3 screen all the time. i wish it would only update the app when you access that one particular one.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I must be blind as a bat if I managed to look over the Amazon app on the main page. I'm going to power up and take a look now, update system if needed and see what happens.

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
I must be blind as a bat if I managed to look over the Amazon app on the main page. I'm going to power up and take a look now, update system if needed and see what happens.
In case you haven't read the whole thread, you may not know that it could take 90 seconds for the full HD 1080/p24 to kick in with Amazon. So give it some time to settle down. But the bright side is that 24fps looks good.

·
Registered
325 Posts
In case you haven't read the whole thread, you may not know that it could take 90 seconds for the full HD 1080/p24 to kick in with Amazon. So give it some time to settle down. But the bright side is that 24fps looks good.
I didn't read the entire thread actually so thank you for that!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Okay i have no idea whats happening here. I reset the player to factory, unplugged for ten minutes and plugged it back in. Selected English, selected a network, performed the update which was 3 steps, the 3rd one being acquiring internet content. After all this, there still is no Amazon app, or even HULU app for that matter.

Could this have anything to do with the fact that Im in Canada and maybe those apps aren't available due to my Canadian ip address?

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Okay i have no idea whats happening here. I reset the player to factory, unplugged for ten minutes and plugged it back in. Selected English, selected a network, performed the update which was 3 steps, the 3rd one being acquiring internet content. After all this, there still is no Amazon app, or even HULU app for that matter.

Could this have anything to do with the fact that Im in Canada and maybe those apps aren't available due to my Canadian ip address?
Seems you may have a problem:http://www.howtogetitincanada.com/amazon-prime-canada-how-to-get-amazon-instant-streaming-in-canada/

I guess the obvious question is what happens if you try access on your computer?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Seems you may have a problem:http://www.howtogetitincanada.com/amazon-prime-canada-how-to-get-amazon-instant-streaming-in-canada/

I guess the obvious question is what happens if you try access on your computer?
If I access my Prime account on my computer I have access to prime video and all the selections show up normally. Its just not showing on my 6500. Even when I log into sony essentials there are only 3 premium services that I can link to, cult, qello and a third which I cant recall at the moment.

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
If I access my Prime account on my computer I have access to prime video and all the selections show up normally. Its just not showing on my 6500. Even when I log into sony essentials there are only 3 premium services that I can link to, cult, qello and a third which I cant recall at the moment.
Maybe this: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32066 but I think you should email Sony.

·
Registered
325 Posts
So after talking to Sony support I was advised to ensure the firmware is updated, then run the Initialize Personal Information option. After doing that I was told to navigate to the setup menu and then scroll to the right which would reveal a video option. I don't recall having the option of scrolling right when I was in the setup menu but I will have a look later today.

1141 - 1160 of 2253 Posts