AVS Forum banner

301 - 320 of 574 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
If you aren't having signalling problems (audio and/or video dropouts, "sparklies" in the video signal, etc.) then you don't need to upgrade the HDMI cables, but quite a few people have reported audio and video problems having been fixed by upgrading them.

While logically they shouldn't be required, Certified Premium cables don't degrade signals as badly as High or Standard Speed cables do, so even lower bandwidth signals can benefit. Longer cables degrade signals more than shorter cables do, so they benefit even more.

HDMI is an abomination.
@Selden Ball: I seem to be good. I have a Mono Price 6 ft Premium certified cable on my UBP-X800 for video, and a standard Ultra High speed cable out of the dedicated audio HDMI port to sound bar without issues. Being able to split the signals unlike the BDP-s6700 which only has one port is nice. It also simplifies things by allowing me to stick the BDP-S6700 on a tv that only supports HDMI 1.4 at most. Devices such as my Apple TV 4 connected to the 4k TV seems to work well with the cable I'm using, the other devices such as the chromeCast Ultra, and RokU stick both have the HDMI connection built into the device.

The only wonky behavior I've had, is the fact the TV only seems to be able to handle only 3 active CEC devices at a time out of the four ports. I've tried to kill as much of the android smart interface as much as possible so I can use the TV as a dumb TV, with the smart devices being external, but there is only so much that can be done to kill the built in smart features.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I was looking at Amazon Reviews for the BDP-S6700, and there are a lot of 1 star and unhappy reviews for this player. I'm actually surprised because I've rarely had any issues with anything sony that haven't been fixed by firmware updates, nor I don't get the impression from people on here, or other home theater sources that Sony players are bad.

Every Sony play I've owned has worked very nicely. My BDP-S6700, is at least a year old without issues. I don't remember when I originally purchased it.

Most, if not all are Verified purchases as well.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I've noticed lately when I've put DVDs into the BDP-S6700, i've had random little audio drops., but video is usually stable. The setup it's on is connected by HDMI to a Sony KDL-R510c, with a 2.1 sound bar connected to the TV by optical. The UBP-X800 on the 4k / 5.1 setup doesn't seem to have the issues. Since the BDP-S6700 is over a year old, was just wondering if this could be a sign of early failure due to aging? As a whole the player still works fine, i took the top off, it's clean inside, e.g. no dust build up. The outside is in good condition, no drops etc. It wasn't that long ago I factory reset it. Probably a month or two prior to the last firmware update. So, just wondering if there were any known software bugs regarding audio, or if this is hardware.

Thanks.

BTW, this only seems to show up on DVDs, BD, and streaming seem ok, but I don't use it on a regular basis, anymore anyway.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
I just bought the 6700 today, and I'm trying to learn more about the apps, for free TV shows and movies.

What are your favorite apps on the 6700 for free TV shows and movies? Do you have to open an account to view them? I don't mind a couple commercials in the beginning, but if the movie/TV show gets interrupted I'm not interested.

Thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I just bought the 6700 today, and I'm trying to learn more about the apps, for free TV shows and movies.

What are your favorite apps on the 6700 for free TV shows and movies? Do you have to open an account to view them? I don't mind a couple commercials in the beginning, but if the movie/TV show gets interrupted I'm not interested.

Thanks for any tips.
The two best ones the sony offers is tubiTV and Crackle. If you go into Opera TV, you have access to Plex, and Smithsonian Channel plus a bunch I'm not real familiar with. Crackle and TubiTV require accounts, but there is no cost. They are ad sponsored, and the account is primarily to allow you to customize your content.

I own two TVs 1 being a 4K and HDR TV, the other being 1080p only, both are Sony TVs.
For my 4K setup I recently go the UBP-X800 which I think the 6700 should have been. I still have a 6700 on the HD only TV though, so I have both players. As far as UI, not much difference other then the UBP is faster, and has options and format compatibility for 4k and HDR content / discs, and a dedicated HDMI port for audio only. The 6700 is a 4k upscaler, has only one HDMI port and has a bit slower interface.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
The two best ones the sony offers is tubiTV and Crackle. If you go into Opera TV, you have access to Plex, and Smithsonian Channel plus a bunch I'm not real familiar with. Crackle and TubiTV require accounts, but there is no cost. They are ad sponsored, and the account is primarily to allow you to customize your content.

I own two TVs 1 being a 4K and HDR TV, the other being 1080p only, both are Sony TVs.
For my 4K setup I recently go the UBP-X800 which I think the 6700 should have been. I still have a 6700 on the HD only TV though, so I have both players. As far as UI, not much difference other then the UBP is faster, and has options and format compatibility for 4k and HDR content / discs, and a dedicated HDMI port for audio only. The 6700 is a 4k upscaler, has only one HDMI port and has a bit slower interface.
Thanks. Now I know where the 300+ apps are that Sony talks about !

Do Crackle and TubiTV have commercials?

I can't see how to remove or add apps. It says to use the Option menu, but that doesn't seem to work.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Thanks. Now I know where the 300+ apps are that Sony talks about !

Do Crackle and TubiTV have commercials?

I can't see how to remove or add apps. It says to use the Option menu, but that doesn't seem to work.
To add an app from all apps select the app and hit options and select add app. For opera TV you can't add those apps to the Home screen, but you can favorite them within Opera tv. Yes, TubiTV, and Crackle do have ads. That's how it's provided for free.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
I need help please ! I just put in a music CD to try it, and not only will it not play, but the tray won't open to remove it. Also, the remote will not power it off, and the switch on front of unit will not power it off.

Any advice?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I need help please ! I just put in a music CD to try it, and not only will it not play, but the tray won't open to remove it. Also, the remote will not power it off, and the switch on front of unit will not power it off.

Any advice?

Thanks.
If you haven't already hold the power button in for about 10 seconds, it should shut off. If that doesn't help disconnect the AC adapter and reconnect it after about 30 seconds. Sounds like the player crashed. Either it's defective, or the software glitched. After making sure the firmware is updated, you could also try a factory reset, and and initialize personal data.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
Thanks. I unplugged it and plugged it back in, and now it's working fine. I already loaded the latest firmware.

Are the ads on Crackle and TubiTV just in the beginning or throughout also?

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
With my new BDP-S6700, I noticed that when I click on a Netflix movie or TV show, it doesn't show me if the movie is in surround or stereo, or if it's in HD or SD. Am I missing something? I'm talking about before starting the movie, reading the movie description. My Panny had those features and I liked that.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
With my new BDP-S6700, I noticed that when I click on a Netflix movie or TV show, it doesn't show me if the movie is in surround or stereo, or if it's in HD or SD. Am I missing something? I'm talking about before starting the movie, reading the movie description. My Panny had those features and I liked that.

Thanks.
It should show you those details, it's pretty standard with current Netflix interfaces. One thing to keep in mind though, and I found this out when calling Netflix, if the app comes with a smart device such as a TV or blu-ray player the manufacture is responsible for maintaining it, and they use the SDK Netflix provides. Netflix does maintain their own app on devices such as the ROKU, iOS, android, appleTV Xbox etc.

As far as the Netflix info does the player have a direct connection to whatever receiver you're using for audio? It should at least show the HD badge if it's in HD. One thing you might try is going into Netflix settings and selecting exit Netflix to fully shut it down, then restart the App. Also check and make sure how the player is set to output audio in settings BD Mix won't matter for Netflix, but make sure the digital out is set to auto, or it will put everything out in stereo, if PCM is selected. If you're connected via the Digital coaxial out, that should also also be good enough for DD 5.1 from stream services as the Dolby Plus will be converted to standard DD.

Usually if Netflix isn't showing you the 5.1 badge, either the content is in stereo, or there is something wrong with the audio setup where Netflix can't detect you have 5.1, or greater abilities.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Yes. I'm running coaxial digital from 6700 to receiver, then coaxial digital from receiver to TV.

Yes, the 6700's digital out is set to "Auto".
If your AVR can accept HDMI, you could try that, but if digital optical, and coaxial are your only options, they should give you 5.1. You just won't get HD audio unless you use a direct HDMI connection between the player and receiver. When you play a title do you get 5.1, or stereo? If you get 5.1 then its just a Netflix bug. If you get stereo, it is most likely your connection.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
If your AVR can accept HDMI, you could try that, but if digital optical, and coaxial are your only options, they should give you 5.1. You just won't get HD audio unless you use a direct HDMI connection between the player and receiver. When you play a title do you get 5.1, or stereo? If you get 5.1 then its just a Netflix bug. If you get stereo, it is most likely your connection.
This receiver does not have HDMI, that's why I'm using digital audio. The receiver is outputting correctly. That wasn't my question. I'm not seeing whether the movie/TV show will be shown in HD or SD, and if it's in HD or stereo(In the movie's description shown on my 6700) prior to starting the movie.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
This receiver does not have HDMI, that's why I'm using digital audio. The receiver is outputting correctly. That wasn't my question. I'm not seeing whether the movie/TV show will be shown in HD or SD, and if it's in HD or stereo(In the movie's description shown on my 6700) prior to starting the movie.
Yes, I understood the original question. I asked about what output you got simply because when I saw the issue, I didn't get the right output either. I will check my Sony's Netflix interface today just to double check whether or not I see HD SD. and / or 5.1 on a show details. If mine is showing it, keep in mind I have mine connected by HDMI for audio as well as video. One reason reason you might be having issues is because of Netflix using Dolby+ which can technically be transferred over other connections but only usually works with HDMI directly. What's strange is, the Sony Netflix app seems to internally convey D+ to DD, even if you have the capabilities.

I'll let you know in a couple hours what I find.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
@Jim McC:
Here are the results of what I found when I checked my BDP-S6700 Netflix interface this morning. Hope this helps you track down your issue.
Thanks. I just checked that same show, and it shows the same thing. So apparently I have no problem.

So when something is not in 5.1 audio, the top will just be blank, correct? It will not say stereo, like my Panny did? I watched a TV show last night on Netflix called Shetland, and on the top it just said HD, but nothing for audio. It played in "Pro Logic 2 Movie".

301 - 320 of 574 Posts