AVS Forum banner

361 - 380 of 574 Posts

·
Registered
6,766 Posts
The screen mirroring feature would not work with my IPhone 4 or my wife's IPhone SE.

Can the BDP-S6700 connect to the internet ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
The screen mirroring feature would not work with my IPhone 4 or my wife's IPhone SE.

Can the BDP-S6700 connect to the internet ?

Thanks.
Yes, you should have connected it on setup, either by ethernet, or wireless. That's how checks for firmware and you also have streaming services. I think Sony has an ESPN app, which is what you tried using with your iPhone, so you should be able to use it directly on the Sony.

Go to settings System Network to set up the internet connection.

·
Registered
6,766 Posts
Thanks. I phrased that wrong. It's hooked up to the internet, hard wired. What I meant was can the 6700 act as a web browser?

This Sunday I want to watch the Bears/Ravens game, but it won't be on here because Fox is airing the Packers game instead. For the game this past Thursday, I streamed it using the YouTube app on the 6700, but it wasn't the greatest experience. Is there a better way to stream the games on Fox? I read that FIRSTROWSPORTS works OK to stream NFL games. Has anyone tried that?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Thanks. I phrased that wrong. It's hooked up to the internet, hard wired. What I meant was can the 6700 act as a web browser?

This Sunday I want to watch the Bears/Ravens game, but it won't be on here because Fox is airing the Packers game instead. For the game this past Thursday, I streamed it using the YouTube app on the 6700, but it wasn't the greatest experience. Is there a better way to stream the games on Fox? I read that FIRSTROWSPORTS works OK to stream NFL games. Has anyone tried that?

Thanks.

@Jim McC: As I mentioned to you earlier, If you are planning on streaming sports events or other unique content on a regular basis. You might want to consider a dedicated streaming such as a ROKU, or Apple TV, maybe Amazon fire.
If you aren't interested in 4k content at this time, you can get a Roku between $30 - $50. The non 4k chromeCast is about $35, and you can use the apps on your phone to cast to that. The problem with a blu-ray player as a streamer is while you get the standard services, you often need a dedicated streamer for specialty.

Hope this helps explain the situation to you better. As far as a web browser, I think Sony removed it, and you would not have a good experience with it if it was there.

My recommendation from a compatibility issue, is to have a blu-ray player, or UHD blu-ray Player, and at least one dedicated streaming box. That way if one device can't do a certain task, the second likely can.

·
Registered
6,766 Posts
Thanks MacinMan. There's only a few times per year(football games only) that I would need to stream, so I don't think it's worth the hassle of another device. I will look into those things though.

They would work, streaming NFL games with my IPhone 4 though ? Because Verizon told me I cannot add any apps to my phone because there is not enough memory.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Hopefully the info I gave you will help you. As far as an iPhone 4? how come you haven't upgraded? I'm personally ok with not having the latest, but at this point that phone is no longer supported by Apple, or most App developers. If you can, I would encourage you to upgrade, simply from a security and support prospective when it comes to the apps and the OS. The choice is always yours. With the questions your asking though, there isn't really good solution other then getting some new hardware. If it's not something you're going to be doing on a regular basis, having the latest stuff may not be worth the cost, but maybe3 consider getting some newer stuff and save money and time at the same time. At least you will have other options as you find stuff you enjoy doing.

·
Registered
6,766 Posts
I probably should upgrade. It's my son's old phone. My wife's new IPhone SE would not work either, streaming ESPN. And I don't want to stream with a phone if it will use data. For the rest of the season though, I would only need to stream a couple NFL games on Fox.

The problem is if the Packers are playing at the same time as the Bears, Fox airs the Packer game, of course.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Does anyone know what type of USB port the S6700 has? Is it USB 2 or 3? I want to get a low profile thumb drive just for the BD live content and for anything else related (besides streaming from USB, won't be doing that).

USB 2 low profile flash drives are much cheaper, but if it is a USB 3 port then I have no problem getting that.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Does anyone know what type of USB port the S6700 has? Is it USB 2 or 3? I want to get a low profile thumb drive just for the BD live content and for anything else related (besides streaming from USB, won't be doing that).

USB 2 low profile flash drives are much cheaper, but if it is a USB 3 port then I have no problem getting that.

Thanks
It's usb 2. The only USB 3 port I've seen on a Sony product is my Android TV. Even my UBP-X800 has usb 2 I believe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sony BDP-S6700 Blu Ray Player-Freezes On Youtube

I purchased a Sony BDP-S6700 Blu Ray Player 2 weeks ago and when playing the Youtube App it keeps "Freezing" , sometimes it will resume and other times it displays "Loading" and freezes and sometimes I cannot even cancel it with the remote control...
I have to shut it off with the power button or Unplug the unit in order to shut it off...
Any ideas on whether this is the Youtube App problem or a problem with the Sony Player itself...???
I am ready to purchase another Brand of Blu Ray Player as this is very annoying...!!!
Thanks for any suggestions or comments...
oldave1

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I purchased a Sony BDP-S6700 Blu Ray Player 2 weeks ago and when playing the Youtube App it keeps "Freezing" , sometimes it will resume and other times it displays "Loading" and freezes and sometimes I cannot even cancel it with the remote control...
Thanks for any suggestions or comments...oldave1
Sony issued a firmware update in mid May 2017; maybe it will help: link to Sony eSupport site
If the firmware update doesn't fix it, then I would return the Sony for a different brand.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Has anyone paired an S6700 with a JVC e-shift projector? I'm curious how the scaling to 4k compares to that of the internal JVC processing. I have an older JVC that accepts a 4k signal, but only has HDCP 1.4, so no UHD player for me. Thanks for the help!

Mark

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am considering buying the BDP-S6700 and have read comments online that you cannot cast from an iphone to the player. Is that still correct? If so, does that mean you cannot cast from within any apps (youtube, for example) on an iphone, or just that you cannot mirror the iphone's main screen directly to the TV, but can still cast directly from within apps?

361 - 380 of 574 Posts