AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 574 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hi,

thanks for the post! I found that info on the web, too, since it isn't included in the meager set-up instructions that came with my player and had to be found by going to the Sony support site and the actual manual downloaded.

But when I tried it, after a message saying that "Child Lock has been disabled" pushing the "eject" button resulted in the locked tray warning message and tray would not open. I posted more detailed info in another thread that you can see here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/1862698-sony-s1500-s3500-s4500-s5500-s6500-blu-ray-players-56.html#post42520721 - it's in post #1669 in that thread.

To make a long story short, had the same problem with THREE Sony BDP-Sx500 models: the first one I bought, a BDP-S3500; the next two were replacements sent to me by Sony after going through their Customer Support phone troubleshooting where they determined that the players were defective and, since the original was still under warranty, they sent me those BDP-S5500s as replacements, but all had the same problem!
Exactly what I get, too. Sent it back. I'm hoping somehow I get my disc back that is stuck in the machine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In that case, its just hard to find anything on netflix that streams in 1080. I managed to find one or two movies, but the display did not indicate it was playing in 24p, but it does when watching a bluray.

Looking for another bluray player.
You've got some other problem (although not necessarily your bluray player). I would say that nowadays probably at least 65% of Netflix's content is in 1080 and probably a third of that is in 24p.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Exactly what I get, too. Sent it back. I'm hoping somehow I get my disc back that is stuck in the machine.

What worked for me to get the disc out was disconnecting power for about a minute then, when plugging unit back in, hold down the Power and Eject buttons at the same time power is being plugged back in - takes 2 hands but can be done! Disc tray should open and you can get disc, but you may have to be fast because I've had the tray close itself after about a second or two when doing this! GOOD LUCK!!!

Btw, I sent it back to Sony (for the THIRD TIME) and. initially, they wanted to send me a check for purchase price, but since I got it at a very good price in a Black Friday sale, a price I wouldn't be able to get another similar unit for, I asked them to send me another replacement and this time they sent a 6500. Haven't tried it yet, but will keep you updated! :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
I sent mine back to Amazon. Spent $40 more and got the 6700. Same unit, basically, except its 3D and upconverts to 4K. Two features I don't need, but the unit works.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Can't stream MKV with the BDPS6700

I can't get MKV 264 or any MKV to stream with the 6700. I can get it to play on an SD card but it won't even show up when I look for it in on my Win7 machine. I can see and stream MP4's just fine.

Any help you can offer would be great guys! :)

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Does it even show the DLNA server at all? If yes, does the directory show any titles?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does it even show the DLNA server at all? If yes, does the directory show any titles?
Yes it shows MP4's not MKV's. I don't think the 6700 will stream MKV's over DLNA. Very sad about this.

What streaming box can I buy that will stream MKV over DLNA and still has more than just an HDMI out? I need more than just a single out from the box. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Something must be wrong somewhere. I downloaded the Sony manual and it specifically states that it supported MKV files. Have you updated the firmware on the Sony?

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
For some reason, my Sony BDP-S6200 and BDP-S5200 are now doing something similar. I can playback and view MP4 files but now all my MKV files shows up as M2TS files. i am streaming from a QNAP NAS. It has been working since i got it but last night the files changed. I don't know what is causing it. In order to get it back working, i had to use Twonky and it works again. It still does not work with the QNAP streaming app for some reason.

I can play back the M2TS files but cannot fast forward or chapter skip.

·
Premium Member
12,448 Posts
Under menu settings for video does the 6700 have Auto 1 and Auto 2 for 4K selections? Anyone know what the heck that is for? Currently I have my UHP set to Auto resolution, 4K Auto 1 and Blu-ray 24p Auto and it outputs 4k/24 for 1080p blu-ray. Just wondering why they have Auto 1 and Auto 2.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Under menu settings for video does the 6700 have Auto 1 and Auto 2 for 4K selections? Anyone know what the heck that is for? Currently I have my UHP set to Auto resolution, 4K Auto 1 and Blu-ray 24p Auto and it outputs 4k/24 for 1080p blu-ray. Just wondering why they have Auto 1 and Auto 2.
I had to check on the manual for that also. The explanation is under the video settings. The difference is the limited use of 4:2:0 (I think) in 4K for auto 2; auto 2 allows 4K to do 4:4:4, etc. There is a bit more in the manual about it regarding the upscaling.

I decided to set mine to auto 1 as that seem to accommodate every color space ratio & my Yamaha 2050 will pass thru 4K; haven't seen any input to the suhd tv that said 4K tho.

EDIT: Whoops! The above was for the 2050.
The s6700 stuff is under "4K Output" in the manual.
Auto 1 is doesn't do video upscale for video, just photos; video is sent as 1920x1080.
Auto 2 is for upscaling video to 4K.
"x [4K Output]
[Auto1]: Outputs 2K (1920 × 1080)
video signals during video playback and
4K video signals during photo play when
connecting to a Sony 4K-compatible
equipment.
Outputs 4K video signals during
playback of 24p video contents in
BD-ROMs/DVD-ROMs/Data content/
Network content or photo play when
connecting to a non-Sony
4K-compatible equipment.
This setting does not work for 3D video
image playback.
[Auto2]: Automatically outputs 4K/24p
video signals when you connect a
4K/24p -compatible equipment and
make the appropriate settings in [BD-
ROM 24p Output], [DVD-ROM 24p
Output], [Data content 24p Output] or
[Network content 24p Output] and also
outputs 4K/24p photo images when you
play 2D photo files.
[Off]: Turns off the function."

·
Premium Member
12,448 Posts
I had to check on the manual for that also. The explanation is under the video settings. The difference is the limited use of 4:2:0 (I think) in 4K for auto 2; auto 2 allows 4K to do 4:4:4, etc. There is a bit more in the manual about it regarding the upscaling.

I decided to set mine to auto 1 as that seem to accommodate every color space ratio & my Yamaha 2050 will pass thru 4K; haven't seen any input to the suhd tv that said 4K tho.
I was able to find this, which seems like one of those useless functions which only applies to connected Sony equipment.

x [4K Output]
[Auto1]: Outputs 2K (1920 × 1080)
video signals during video playback and
4K video signals during photo play when
connecting to a Sony 4K-compatible
equipment.
Outputs 4K video signals when
connecting to a non-Sony
4K-compatible equipment.
This setting does not work for 3D video
image playback.
[Auto2]: Automatically outputs 4K
video signals when you connect a
4K-compatible equipment.

[Off]: Turns off the function.
b
If your Sony equipment is not detected when
[Auto1] is selected, the setting will have the
same effect as [Auto2] setting.

I tested the UHP-H1 and it outputs 4k/60 420 for Netflix and 4k/24 444 for 1080p blu.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Curious observation. When did Sony change their remotes to blutooth/wifi? I found that the remote for the S6700 will send signals to the player even when I point the remote 90+ degrees away from the player. The signals even activate the s6700 when I point the remote to myself instead of the player.

Didn't see anything about how the remote activates the s6700. I normally use the Logitech for my stuff (except for the Samsung "smart"uhd hub; had to resort to the s6700 remote because had messed up the settings for the player when "playing" around with the config on the Logitech.

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
I got a S6700 today. I was able to see 4K upscale from 1080p blu ray but not 4K when streaming from Netflix or Amazon Prime. Does the S6700 stream in 4K? I have 4K set in Auto 1

·
Premium Member
12,448 Posts
My UHP-H1 outputs 2160p when I watch Netflix (4k/60hz ycbcr 420), as reported by my Marantz preamp.

I have resolution set to Auto and Auto 1 for 4K.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just got my s3700 and am now returning it. It wouldn't hold an internet connection for more than a minute. It would connect to my router but not to the Internet. I installed a firmware update using a memory stick, but that didn't help, and I called customer support who had me on the phone for an hour to no avail (they concluded that the issue was a compatibility issue with my Apple Airport router and had me connect to the Comcast router built into the modem; this worked for a few minutes but failed after I hung up).

I called again and this guy had me manually input the IP address and set DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. That didn't work.

My Sony S580 works fine (and worked fine out of the box), so perhaps the new technology is too smart for its own good?

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue (and if there's another sony model or other brand I should be exploring).

Jim

·
Premium Member
12,448 Posts
Sounds faulty. The last few years Sony's have been great with internet for me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can the 3700 be used to stream Rhapsody? I have the service and use it on my laptop and on my Oppo upstairs, but need another source for my basement system that will enable me to continue using Rhapsody. Won't work with my XBoxOne - tried already - can't load the tools to make it work so I'm looking for options until I can come up with the dough to buy another Oppo.

21 - 40 of 574 Posts