AVS Forum banner

421 - 440 of 574 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have a S1700 and have no problems with audio dropout.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Does anyone have any information on the latest firmware update for the BDP-S6700? no one answered me the first time, and I just checked sony's site. They really don't provide any info on it.

I would appreciate an answer, fi somone has any information.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
35,140 Posts
Does anyone have any information on the latest firmware update for the BDP-S6700? no one answered me the first time, and I just checked sony's site. They really don't provide any info on it.

I would appreciate an answer, fi somone has any information.

Thanks
What is the latest firmware number? It might have something to do with the audio dropout issue being discussed.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
What is the latest firmware number? It might have something to do with the audio dropout issue being discussed.
According to sony's support page it's M32.R.0485 released January 25, 2018. There are no changes listed so I don't know what it does, that's why i was asking.

I do know for me, there haven't been any audio issues, What I have noticed though is streaming high bitrate MKV files seems to have stabilized since applying this update. I have the player connected by coaxial digital out to a 5.1 sound bar. Since the unit can't internally decode and pass the output as 5.1 PCM, and the sound bar doesn't do HD Audio directly the audio doesn't need to go over HDMI for this unit.

I have my UBP-X800 in the living room connected by HDMI as it can take HD audio from the disc and pass it as PCM 5.1 to the sound bar.

·
Premium Member
35,140 Posts
According to sony's support page it's M32.R.0485 released January 25, 2018. There are no changes listed so I don't know what it does, that's why i was asking.

I do know for me, there haven't been any audio issues, What I have noticed though is streaming high bitrate MKV files seems to have stabilized since applying this update. I have the player connected by coaxial digital out to a 5.1 sound bar. Since the unit can't internally decode and pass the output as 5.1 PCM, and the sound bar doesn't do HD Audio directly the audio doesn't need to go over HDMI for this unit.

I have my UBP-X800 in the living room connected by HDMI as it can take HD audio from the disc and pass it as PCM 5.1 to the sound bar.
I'm still on 0433 so the new firmware couldn't be the cause of the audio dropout issue.

I'm not sure how Sony handles their updates, or if they even post a changelog or not so it's hard to tell what's changed.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I'm still on 0433 so the new firmware couldn't be the cause of the audio dropout issue.

I'm not sure how Sony handles their updates, or if they even post a changelog or not so it's hard to tell what's changed.
I get a notification when the unit sees a new firmware update on power on. I know this can be turned off, so if you have, then you will probably have to manually check for updates. As far as change logs, Sony is usually pretty good about listing things in the firmware. This is the first, there isn't any real info on. Maybe because this line of players is so old as far as support goes, it's just a bug fix release.l

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
heya guys. i just got a 6700.

wondering : how well does the up scaling work ? i am figuring that the 4k upscale will not do anything for my pj ?

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
heya guys. i just got a 6700.

wondering : how well does the up scaling work ? i am figuring that the 4k upscale will not do anything for my pj ?
In most cases, the 4K upscaling in a 4K projector is superior to what's provided by external players and receivers, although it can't hurt to compare them.

If you don't have a 4K projector or TV, then 4K upscaling in the player is irrelevant. It just has to be downscaled back down to 1080p if your projector even has the ability to do that.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
thanx, next question.

this unit does faux 3D. how well does this work ? i am sure its not as good as real 3D. but does it make some movies more enjoyable ?
what about glass's type ??

thanx

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
When talking about DLNA, and the current Sony players, both the line here in this thread, and their UHD players, is the 2013 Sony player profile in Serviio still the ideal profile to use? It's the newest Sony Blu-ray profile, and still seems to work, but so does the Generic DLNA profile. They both seem to work the same way on my setup and media. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
thanx, next question.

this unit does faux 3D. how well does this work ? i am sure its not as good as real 3D. but does it make some movies more enjoyable ?
That is very much a personal preference. I don't have a 3D-capable projector or TV, so I can't comment from personal experience. You'll have to try it to see how much you like it.
what about glass's type ??

thanx
That's determined by your projector or TV.

·
Registered
854 Posts
BDP-S1700 on the latest fw.

Am watching Mea Maxima Culpa (the 2012 Alex Gibney docu about the Catholic Church sex/pedophilia scandal) as an Amazon stream. The movie plays fine but at least twice now when I try to go back for, say, 30 seconds for a brief recap to pick up where I left off or for a repeat of something someone said, I get a player- (not Amazon-) generated message saying the app is too large and is therefore being terminated. The whole Amazon app crashes/exits and I have to re-launch it, navigate to the movie and resume. This has never happened on my (older, 2012 model year) Panasonic when doing Amazon streams. Just another data point on the cheap Sony POS BD player list?

Still not experiencing enough HD content not available elsewhere to convert me to a streaming fan. Still on a limited, as-needed basis only.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have noticed that when watching some YouTube videos, the player is displaying subtitles. Can these be turned off?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
S1700: MPEG artifacts on BluRay, not on media file

The BluRay of Bird on a Wire shows lots of MPEG artifacts (macroblocking, etc.) when played back on my Sony BDP-S1700. The disc is a copy from the original Region B with the region protection removed so it plays back. I extracted the .m2ts file from the BluRay, put it on a USB drive, and playback from there is perfect. I also analyzed the stream using VideoRedo (fixes a lot of errors), and there weren't any problems...it appears to be perfectly BluRay compliant.

I also copied the whole BluRay onto another BD-R just to see if there was some small issue with the original disc, and the second copy shows the exact same behavior.

Has anybody else seen anything like this?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Is it normal for DVDs to be encoded in 30fps? (29.97)? I noticed on my UBP-x800 sony UHD player if i were to stream an MKV rip of one of my star wars movies from DVD it says 1080p/60, since it's not 4k. Then i checked the file with VLC and it said 29.97fps in media information under codecs. My blu-ray rips play at 24p as expected. I didn't test this on the BDP-S6700 as now I know it would do the same thing, and I was also testing multi channel PCM output which the 6700 can't do anyway. I just happened to notice this as a side affect of the original test.

By the way, all movies are ripped directly from disc using MakeMKV, so the MKV files contain the exact same codec / structure as the physical media. So, I haven't changed anything, other then the container.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
When talking about DLNA, and the current Sony players, both the line here in this thread, and their UHD players, is the 2013 Sony player profile in Serviio still the ideal profile to use? It's the newest Sony Blu-ray profile, and still seems to work, but so does the Generic DLNA profile. They both seem to work the same way on my setup and media. Any thoughts?
No. Use the generic profile on new players (6700, 6500, x800, x700). The special Sony profile was only for older players to deal with work around and odd behavior.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Is it normal for DVDs to be encoded in 30fps? (29.97)? I noticed on my UBP-x800 sony UHD player if i were to stream an MKV rip of one of my star wars movies from DVD it says 1080p/60, since it's not 4k. Then i checked the file with VLC and it said 29.97fps in media information under codecs. My blu-ray rips play at 24p as expected. I didn't test this on the BDP-S6700 as now I know it would do the same thing, and I was also testing multi channel PCM output which the 6700 can't do anyway. I just happened to notice this as a side affect of the original test.

By the way, all movies are ripped directly from disc using MakeMKV, so the MKV files contain the exact same codec / structure as the physical media. So, I haven't changed anything, other then the container.

All Dvd discs are encoded in mpeg2 interlaced video, either pal or Ntsc (25 and 29.97j

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
All Dvd discs are encoded in mpeg2 interlaced video, either pal or Ntsc (25 and 29.97j
Thanks, I knew about the Mpeg2, PAL, and NTSC specs, and I knew about the standard fps as well. What threw me off was when I've tried the auto 24p option for DVDs the player switched to 24p for film based DVDs, however, the MKV rip of the original played in 60fps. So, it sounds like putting a DVD into 24p mode isn't natural. Hence, why I had issues with it, especially on TV shows. Since then, I've just left the option off for DVDs. Honestly though, I really don't see a huge difference, if any between 24, and 60p for most content like movies, or TV shows.

To sum it up then, only HD, and 4k content is the only true 24p content in home.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I picked up a S6700 refurbished off Walmarts site to go along with my HT1070 projector I just setup last week. Does it improve streaming as much as reviews say? If it does, is it worth collecting Blu Ray movies vs streaming? I have a little over 400 movies in Vudu/MA/Etc, almost all HD. With the new projector I just picked up, and now starting a 3D blu ray collection, I wasn't sure if it was worth also buying non-3D blu rays to use on the projector since the streaming movie quality is more apparent. As long as it's a good scene and buffered, it looks fine, but I can tell when it switches from HDX sometimes, and it is distracting. I'm not even bothering with 3D streaming for this reason.

I'm also interested in how DVDs will look upscaled, as well as the 2D to 3D conversion. Is it worth getting a second one for my 4k tv in my living room(55"), or should I move into a 4k player? I know 4k streaming isn't that great, and I don't bother with the digital format for those. not worth the money over HDX.

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
I picked up a S6700 refurbished off Walmarts site to go along with my HT1070 projector I just setup last week. Does it improve streaming as much as reviews say? If it does, is it worth collecting Blu Ray movies vs streaming? I have a little over 400 movies in Vudu/MA/Etc, almost all HD.
Unfortunately, all streamed versions of movies are highly compressed. This can cause serious video degradation when compared to their on-disc versions, even when the supposed pixel resolution is the same. This is exemplified in your description below.
With the new projector I just picked up, and now starting a 3D blu ray collection, I wasn't sure if it was worth also buying non-3D blu rays to use on the projector since the streaming movie quality is more apparent. As long as it's a good scene and buffered, it looks fine, but I can tell when it switches from HDX sometimes, and it is distracting. I'm not even bothering with 3D streaming for this reason.

I'm also interested in how DVDs will look upscaled, as well as the 2D to 3D conversion. Is it worth getting a second one for my 4k tv in my living room(55"), or should I move into a 4k player? I know 4k streaming isn't that great, and I don't bother with the digital format for those. not worth the money over HDX.
Usually the 4K upscaling provided in the display device (TV or projector) is as good as or better than the 4K upscaling provided in a disc player or receiver. However, you have to compare how it's handled by your own equipment since that's not always true. Many 4K UHD disc prices are comparable to standard Blu-ray prices, but that might not be true for the titles that you're most interested in.

Don't forget that many recent titles provide Atmos or DTS:X soundtracks on 4K UHD discs, but not on their standard Blu-ray versions, which is one reason for using a UHD player instead of a 1080p player like the x700 models.

For more discussion of 4K UHD disc players and the ability of most of them to down-scale UHD discs to 1080p see http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2482833-official-help-me-choose-uhd-player-thread.html

421 - 440 of 574 Posts