AVS Forum banner

561 - 574 of 574 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
For the Sony player i don't see any other firmware updates bot to mention that is a 2016 product. The last one came out a year ago? And it was just to remove some outdated services like Gracenote. Basically check your TV for updates and your AV receiver (if it has this feature).
Latest one was released on the 3rd of December 2019 - M32.R.0527 .

Unfortunately the TV and AVR doesn't have any latest update for now.

As you've mentioned, it could be any of the settings on the player. (have tried almost all but still at a lost)

The worse part is, it only occurs ONCE...and then for the remaining time of the movie, everything is fine.

I called up SONY but they just told me to get it to the service center to get it fixed :confused:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't know what is there to fix, but you never know. I'm unsatisfied with the unit (6700) very slow in everything and not very friendly with other devices.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know what is there to fix, but you never know. I'm unsatisfied with the unit (6700) very slow in everything and not very friendly with other devices.
Yes you are right.

I can't see anywhere or anything to fix. Maybe they were not too interested in the issue.

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Yes you are right.

I can't see anywhere or anything to fix. Maybe they were not too interested in the issue.
Most support centers just work off a script. Their operators usually don't really know anything about audio or video. If they don't understand the problem "send it in for repairs."

Previously you mentioned upscaling to 4K. In general, it's best to let the TV itself do the upscaling. Turn it off in both the receiver and the player. That minimizes the video bitrate traveling over the HDMI cables and might (or might not) help with your dropout problem.

Reactions: deano86

·
Registered
272 Posts
Latest one was released on the 3rd of December 2019 - M32.R.0527 .

Unfortunately the TV and AVR doesn't have any latest update for now.

As you've mentioned, it could be any of the settings on the player. (have tried almost all but still at a lost)

The worse part is, it only occurs ONCE...and then for the remaining time of the movie, everything is fine.

I called up SONY but they just told me to get it to the service center to get it fixed :confused:
I believe that is actually the 12th of March 2019, the first number is the month 03-12-2019, it's MM-DD-YYYY, it's the EU/AU regions with the DD-MM-YYYY format typically.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Most support centers just work off a script. Their operators usually don't really know anything about audio or video. If they don't understand the problem "send it in for repairs."

Previously you mentioned upscaling to 4K. In general, it's best to let the TV itself do the upscaling. Turn it off in both the receiver and the player. That minimizes the video bitrate traveling over the HDMI cables and might (or might not) help with your dropout problem.
Thank you.

I will try by switching off the 4k upscale on the sony player to see if it works.

On the receiver there are just two options of either 'standard' or 'enhanced'

I tried both but the blackouts still occured.

But having said that, won't the high speed HDMI cable help ease the burden of the bitrate load? As I am using one. Or it doesn't make much of a difference?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I believe that is actually the 12th of March 2019, the first number is the month 03-12-2019, it's MM-DD-YYYY, it's the EU/AU regions with the DD-MM-YYYY format typically.
Yeap. You are right. My mistake.

The latest firmware which was released was on the 12/3/2019.

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Thank you.

I will try by switching off the 4k upscale on the sony player to see if it works.

On the receiver there are just two options of either 'standard' or 'enhanced'

I tried both but the blackouts still occured.

But having said that, won't the high speed HDMI cable help ease the burden of the bitrate load? As I am using one. Or it doesn't make much of a difference?
For 4K signals, you need to use "Certified Premium High Speed" HDMI cables.

Initially, HDMI.org claimed that "High Speed" cables should work with 4K UHD signals. Unfortunately, shortly after 4K UHD video sources became available, it was discovered that "High Speed" HDMI cables were not being tested to ensure that they could actually carry 4K. The testing procedures were only verifying that they worked for 1080p. As a result, there is no way to know if any particular "High Speed" cable can work with 4K. It might or it might not. A revised testing procedure was quickly produced: "Certified Premium".

"Certified Premium High Speed" HDMI cables are accompanied by a special holographic certification tag which is difficult to forge. Fortunately, these cables cost no more than non-certified "High Speed" cables.

For more information, see https://www.hdmi.org/spec/premiumcable

Edited to add:
I'm guessing that you have a Denon receiver. Its "Enhanced" setting is required to guarantee that 4K signals are passed through the receiver without being degraded.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the lack of updates as I have been swarmed with work.

So, I have tried the output resolution of the bdps6700 changing it from Auto to 1080p.

So far I have watched 2 movies and have had no blackout issue as mentioned before.

But My guess is then all blu-ray movies played will be output under 1080p instead of 4k?

My question is this:

1. Will it have an effect on the output of the quality? as the player is meant to upscale the movies. Or it will not make a difference?

2. the player is connected to my Marantz AVR which i have set as 'enhanced' in the 4k signal quality. Will the player do the upscale instead? or will the 4k tv itself do the upscaling?

Appreciate any feedback. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the lack of updates as I have been swarmed with work.

So, I have tried the output resolution of the bdps6700 changing it from Auto to 1080p.

So far I have watched 2 movies and have had no blackout issue as mentioned before.

But My guess is then all blu-ray movies played will be output under 1080p instead of 4k?

My question is this:

1. Will it have an effect on the output of the quality? as the player is meant to upscale the movies. Or it will not make a difference?

2. the player is connected to my Marantz AVR which i have set as 'enhanced' in the 4k signal quality. Will the player do the upscale instead? or will the 4k tv itself do the upscaling?

Appreciate any feedback. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Haven't seen a difference with all these upscaling. Haven't seen from the DVD era and 1080 upscaling. Since this player is not 4K native better output the standards than anything else.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Haven't seen a difference with all these upscaling. Haven't seen from the DVD era and 1080 upscaling. Since this player is not 4K native better output the standards than anything else.
Thanks.

So i should just keep it at 1080p output?

and let the AVR and TV do the upscaling and conversion?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks.

So i should just keep it at 1080p output?

and let the AVR and TV do the upscaling and conversion?
Its a go! from me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Blu ray player blackouts problem in movies...

Hello! I have Sony BDP-S6700 blu ray player.. While i watching movies on it, sometimes i get vlack screen in just few sec, and then picture back.. this happens sometimes, and i even changed cable into premium cable, and this still happens
.. My player is connected to receiver, and from receiver to TV. However, i use same kind of cable to connect my TV and Receiver.. What should i do with this problem?? On Playstation 4 Pro and Xbox one this problem not exist..Only on this player:(

561 - 574 of 574 Posts