AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 576 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sounds faulty. The last few years Sony's have been great with internet for me.
Well, I returned the unit and got an S6500 in the hopes that a higher end unit might be better. Same problems connecting to the internet via Airport (connects to Airport, just not the 'net). I am able to connect to the internet via the Comcast router, and it hasn't booted me off yet, but I'm not very confident since there's not good reason that Airport wouldn't work (again, works fine with my 5 year old S580).

I'm curious about the IPv6 possibilities. It didn't do anything for me, but I'm wondering if that may lead to a solution.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Does anyone know of the S6700 decodes TrueHD and DTS Master Audio? I need a player that decodes the lossless audio formats, as my receiver doesn't have that capability.

·
Registered
14,849 Posts
Does anyone know of the S6700 decodes TrueHD and DTS Master Audio? I need a player that decodes the lossless audio formats, as my receiver doesn't have that capability.
Only to stereo. Sony hasn't provided multichannel decoding for several years. :(
You'll need to get one of the more expensive brands (e.g. Oppo) if you want full 7.1 multichannel PCM output.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
The Sony remote is not IR? Its bluetooth?

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Answered my own question as I picked one today. Harmony IR works fine.

Picture good. Pushed my pre-4K Sharp to 2160 24hz just fine. Looks nice. Apps are fast. Bluray's load fast and look great.

Would like to delete some of the "Featured" apps.

SA-CD's sound great.

Its too small. The aesthetics just don't fit with my other home theater equipment.

Reactions: dubgreasemonkey

·
Registered
35 Posts
Answered my own question as I picked one today. Harmony IR works fine.

Picture good. Pushed my pre-4K Sharp to 2160 24hz just fine. Looks nice. Apps are fast. Bluray's load fast and look great.

Would like to delete some of the "Featured" apps.

SA-CD's sound great.

Its too small. The aesthetics just don't fit with my other home theater equipment.
Hi, can you confirm that the 6700 can play back SACD? I have one on order and i cannot find any mention of what discs the machine can play back. SACD playback would be a huge bonus.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
"6700 can play back SACD?"

Yes, almost all the Sony's can play SA-CD's.

·
Registered
14,849 Posts
"6700 can play back SACD?"

Yes, almost all the Sony's can play SA-CD's.
Unfortunately, SACD support currently is only available in the 6xxx and higher models of Sony's Blu-ray players. It was available in the S590, but not in the following year's S5100.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
"SACD support currently is only available in the 6xxx and higher models"

There's a lot of Sony Bluray players that support SA-CD playback. Probably more that do than don't.

·
Premium Member
12,500 Posts
Thanks. This sucks. What other choices do I have then to watch Netflix in 4K natively on my PJ?
Tivo Bolt
Nvidia Shield
Xbox One S
Roku 4
Fire TV (I think)
Playstation 4 Neo (when it arrives in a month or two)
Samsung 8500 UHD Blu-ray player

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Yesterday I received the bdp-s6700 and it does not detect Dolby digital plus from Netflix. Vudu detects Dolby digital plus and sends the signal to my Yamaha RX-A860 receiver. Did Netflix stop using Dolby Digital Plus?

·
Premium Member
12,500 Posts
Yesterday I received the bdp-s6700 and it does not detect Dolby digital plus from Netflix. Vudu detects Dolby digital plus and sends the signal to my Yamaha RX-A860 receiver. Did Netflix stop using Dolby Digital Plus?
Netflix still uses DD+.

·
Premium Member
12,500 Posts
My Roku 4 is properly outputting DD+ with Netflix, but the Sony BDP-S6700 does not.

Dont know, I get DD+ with my 6500 from last year and with my UHPH1 from this year.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My Roku 4 is properly outputting DD+ with Netflix, but the Sony BDP-S6700 does not.
My S6700 (and PS4) also only outputs DD with Netflix. Chromecast outputs DD+ with Netflix. All my sources are attached to a Marantz 7702 Pre Pro which allows me to see the bitstream types.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Dont know, I get DD+ with my 6500 from last year and with my UHPH1 from this year.
My S6700 (and PS4) also only outputs DD with Netflix. Chromecast outputs DD+ with Netflix. All my sources are attached to a Marantz 7702 Pre Pro which allows me to see the bitstream types.
I ended up returning the BDP-S6700 back to Amazon.com due to DD+ Netflix issue. I bought the BDP-S6500 today and DD+ from Netflix and Vudu shows on my receiver with the BDP-S6500.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I ended up returning the BDP-S6700 back to Amazon.com due to DD+ Netflix issue. I bought the BDP-S6500 today and DD+ from Netflix and Vudu shows on my receiver with the BDP-S6500.
Hopefully Sony will issue an update which will enable DD+ on the 6700... One thing I also noticed is that it takes Chromecast less time to get to 5800 kbps on Netflix' Example Short video. Aside from these quibbles I am happy with the 6700... I have no plans to return mine as I use mostly Chromecast for streaming movies anyways.

41 - 60 of 576 Posts