AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I also made a post in the flat panel forum but no one seems to be interested, so here it is to fellow gamers:

Hello all! I've been making some crazy steps into HD. I've exchanged sets at Best Buy 4 times! Samsung Slim, Sony xs955, Sony xbr960, and now the KLV-S32A10.

I loved the CRTs but they were HUGE and ALL had geometry problems. UGH. In my desperate plot to have a TV with sharp geometry I got the LCD.

The LCD is great. Small, sexy and with some coaxing it can do SD content pretty well. (It's no xbr960 in that area but serviceable) I do have a problem though. This is my first LCD TV and I have to tell you... Refresh rate is killing me. I understand this unit is supposed to have around 12ms and all I've read says that's a great speed to game with. With my Xbox though, the refresh is really getting to me.

Having a screen full of glorious detail is great, but when you lose that detail in a blurry movement, it all seems plain messy.

Is there something I am missing? Tons of people seem to game on LCD and few complain anymore.

-Is there some setting or anything I can do to help clear up this problem or at least help it?

-Is this totally normal even with a $2000 screen?

-Is the KDL-V32XBR1 supposed to be any better?

Thanks for any help guys!

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
What you are referring to is response time. Coming from CRT and moving to an LCDTV with a 12 ms response time, I immediately noticed the blurring that you are mentioning. I got used to it in no time but I still realize that the blurring is still there. You would probably even notice this with an 8 ms response time. Unfortunately, there are no LCDTVs that provide a response time on level with a CRT.

·
Registered
435 Posts
How do Plasama's do in this regard? Are the better than LCD's but worse than CRT's?

I'm just wondering because the LCD TV's I'm interested in have a 8ms response time (pretty much the top of the line) but I'm also looking into some Plasma HDTV's so what's everyone's thoughts on this?

Also...you said you got use to it but how does this effect your skill level playing on the LCD? Did you adapt and honestly can say the LCD did not lower your skill level because of the blurring?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.