AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This site has already helped me out with my TV Purchase (Samsung UN55C6900) and Reciever purchase (Sony STR-DG810) and I'm hoping it can now help me with my speaker inquiry.

As you can tell, I am more a videophile than audiophile having budgeted out my receiver (but at the time of that purchase it was one of the few receivers that had 3 HDMI inputs at 1080p for under $700). All that said, hissing in speakers DOES bother me. So let's cut to the chase.

I am using the above bolded equipment as well as 15 year old center channel and 5.1 speaker setup. I am looking to upgrade my speakers (front, rear and center channel) The only thing that I want to keep is my sub. It's a only 2 years old and works well.

I saw the Sony SA VS310 5.1-CH home theater speaker sys is only $200 at Best Buy and is getting fairly decent reviews by some people who bought it.

So I'd like some people to comment on those speakers.

Here's my next problem.

Link to Album here

I don't have the ability to run unnoticeable wires to my rear speakers. So I'm considering this Rocketfish product. (as you can see it's a small room)

The receiver is rated at 110W x 6 Amp Power (8 ohms, THD 1.0%). Would using this Rocketfish be a problem with my rear speakers? It's been said in reviews that it only has 20 watts of power per channel, which looks to me like a red flag. Would this only be useful for quiet wireless speakers in the kitchen or something?

Thanks again for your help. If anyone else has any recommendations of 5.1 speaker packages I am willing to listen. Also if any solutions to my wire problem.

I know this forum will come through a 3rd time.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Those speakers are crap. And those arent even fairly decent reviews by amazon standards

For $200 you'd be better off going with two pair of Sony SS-B1000 and a Sony SS-CN5000 and keeping your current subwoofer

Rocketfish wireless surround speaker setup would be enough to power the the Sony SS-b1000's in surround duty. But why have you wrote them off?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/20809121

Those speakers are crap. And those arent even fairly decent reviews by amazon standards

For $200 you'd be better off going with two pair of Sony SS-B1000 and a Sony SS-CN5000 and keeping your current subwoofer

Rocketfish wireless surround speaker setup would be enough to power the the Sony SS-b1000's in surround duty. But why have you wrote them off?

A lot of the reviews scared me about the "hissing" and volume levels. But that's why I come here.

I really appreciate this input. Why kind of wiring should I get for the speakers you suggest?

Also, what do you suggest about speaker stands? I saw this on Amazon and it looked like it would work well.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukefrukem /forum/post/20809370

A lot of the reviews scared me about the "hissing" and volume levels. But that's why I come here.

I really appreciate this input. Why kind of wiring should I get for the speakers you suggest?

Also, what do you suggest about speaker stands? I saw this on Amazon and it looked like it would work well.

Well there are people that have had great luck with the rocketfish so try it out if doesnt work for you return it.

Yes those speaker stands will work for you

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/20809430

Well there are people that have had great luck with the rocketfish so try it out if doesnt work for you return it.

Yes those speaker stands will work for you

Thanks Rob. Again I appreciate your input. Just ordered the five speakers on Amazon this min. I think this will be the perfect upgrade to my HTIB for now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am using Rocketfish in my bedroom with Martin Logan MLT-2 speakers in surround duty and it seems to be working fine. I was worried about them being under powered and damaging the speakers but I can't detect any clipping. The Audyssey set up thinks they are 28 feet away from the listening position though when they are really only six and eight feet away, which I assume is due to the delay to transmit the signal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabippy /forum/post/20823270

I am using Rocketfish in my bedroom with Martin Logan MLT-2 speakers in surround duty and it seems to be working fine. I was worried about them being under powered and damaging the speakers but I can't detect any clipping. The Audyssey set up thinks they are 28 feet away from the listening position though when they are really only six and eight feet away, which I assume is due to the delay to transmit the signal.

That gives me some hope still. I'm gonna buy it and return it if I don't like it.

I do have some other questions regarding my receiver. I can't figure out how to get the center channel speaker working on Comcast's cable broadcast. I've got the HDMI in running into the receiver but no sound is coming out of it.

I can confirm the center channel works with my HDMI connection from my PS3 into the receiver, but I am only getting right and left on all channels.

Any idea why this would happen?

Pics also for the hell of it. Buying the stands today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.