AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tried keeping this 10-year-old thread alive but I'm thinking I might get a faster response by just posting a new one, and I think my problem might be different anyways...

I found a Sony sa-wx700 on Craigslist. It was listed for $200 and I bought it for $100, so I thought I was getting a deal. I even brought a receiver and my phone to hook it up, played a movie trailer and could hear the sub kicking in. I didn't let it get too loud cause I was in the guy's neighborhood at 9:30 at night. So I paid him, took it home, and hooked it up a few days later when I had the chance. It didn't seem like it was working at all at first. Then I heard one kick, then nothing again. I turned the receiver up quite a bit and finally got some consistent kicks to the beat of the song I was playing through the system. Then I realized that I had my receiver turned almost all the way up. I checked the old receiver I used to test it at the CL meet-up and it was turned almost all the way up too (didn't realize it at the time).

So I had the thing open almost immediately trying to troubleshoot the problem because it didn't seem completely gone if I was getting some response. I checked the board and none of the components seemed damaged. It really looks like it's in very good condition. I came across the old thread that detailed some others that have had problems with this sub and went ahead and ordered the C860, R830, and R831 parts that they all suggested to replace. Just got them in Friday, put them in Saturday, and it's still doing the exact same thing :/

Is there anyone that could help me further troubleshoot this problem? I like the idea of just replacing the amp plate with a 300s Bash, as mentioned in some of the posts in the old thread, but I can hardly bring myself to spend $150, more than I bought the sub for, on a new amp. But there's no way I'm throwing this thing in the trash either, too invested.

Basically, I don't get anything out of the sub until my receiver's volume hits 65 (max volume = 75). The speakers are tested and fine (At least I think so, I'd be willing to test again). Really just trying to spend as little as possible to get this sub back up and running, so I'm willing to try anything again.

There are some pictures in case anyone sees something I don't. I'm thinking this will be best diagnosed by the symptoms though.

Also, please watch the 2 minute video I recorded showing the symptoms and explaining some of what I talked about here. I'm hoping that will help someone who knows more than me diagnose the problem.

Thanks in advance!

Video:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
How hot is your LFE sub channel on your avr trim? IF,,,,, its not a bad sub amp, you may have a weak signal been delivered to your sub.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, so I took your advice indebt and dug a little deeper into my receiver?s settings.

I?ve tested the level being sent to my subwoofer several ways. One of my friends who deals with live audio suggested I bypass the receiver and go 1/8in to RCA directly into the sub input to test its response at line level. Not a peep.

To test via the receiver I set the subwoofer?s speaker setting to ?plus? (and I?ve played with the different LPF settings in the crossover menu as well with little or no difference). That ?plus? setting actually made a slight difference because I imagine it was boosting the output to the sub. But the underlying problem is still there. The only difference was that I didn?t have to turn my receiver up to 65 to get a response, I only had to have it at about 55. As soon as I turn it down to 50 I get absolutely nothing out of the subwoofer.

My gut tells me that the increase in volume is intermittently overcoming some kind of voltage loss or something within the amp. I?ve read that burnt out voice coils could cause a similar problem but I removed the drivers and tested them for signal and they seemed to work fine... maybe I should revisit that though just to be sure.

If anyone has more ideas or needs more information to better diagnose my problem I?ll do whatever I can and share it here. Thanks for the reply indebt!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.