AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my SAT-100 today as a replacement for the DTC-100. Much to my dismay, I find that the picture in standard or digital mode, on my Sony KP10W65XBR is severely shifted to the right with no apparent way to adjust it. I have several digital sources through an Extron VGA switch and they all are fine, except for the SAT-100 picture. Anyone experience this "out of the box" problem? Are there any "hidden" service adjustments for the Sony receiver's picture output?

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Ron,

I'm afraid this is a little publicized problem of the Sony. When I got mine I first hooked it up to my Zenith HDTV (it's currently feeding my Panasonic Tau HD set through the Sony's COMPONENT outputs). My Zenith accepts either component or VGA HD sources. The Sony was fine with the Zenith as long as it was connected via the component output. However, when I tried the VGA output of the Sony, I found the picture was shifted to the right, just as you described. There appears to be no way to correct this. If there is any way for you to use the component connectors, that's the way to go.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Ditto Ron. I have the Elite 610 and the SONY did the same thing on the VGA input. I A/B'd the pictures and there wasn't much difference to my eye (between component and VGA). Also the aspect controls don't work through the VGA in on the Pioneer, so it didn't seem worth it anyhow.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm surprised that this has not been discussed on this forum, at least I haven't seen any discussion. I have big $$ invested in an Extron RGB autoswitch, and I'm feeding it with VGA from 2 other sources and out to the VGA (input 5) of my Sony. I'd hate to spend more $$ to now get a component autoswitch. I'll probably give Sony service a call this morning and see what they suggest. I thought for sure there would be a service menu.

Ron

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I considered that, but I feel that should be at Sony's expense, not mine, if their eqt. has a problem outputing VGA. My least expensive route is to reinstall the DTC-100 and wait for Sony to fix the bug. I am impressed, however, with the seemless integration of cable, digital OTA and Directv stations, without having to switch inputs like on the RCA. When they get the VGA problem solved, I'll repurchase, and by that time they will probably have fixed all the other quirks, and maybe even the price might drop. Too bad, particularly after the long awaited introduction of this receiver by Sony.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got off the phone with Sony and they confirmed that it is a known bug, with no fix nor estimate of when it will be addressed. My HD-100 is going back to Crutchfield and I'll reinstall the DTC-100. Bummer! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif

·
Registered
780 Posts
You could use a Component to VGA transcoder which would let you use the 480i/1080i variable mode, but thats another $200, although probably less than a component autoswitch.

Tony

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.