AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having enjoyed 3 weeks with the new Sony HD-100, it just died on me. I walked though some steps with Sony support -- who were very helpful and even knowledgeable on this new product -- but no luck. The display on the front of the receiver just shows 0000 AM -- the power button doesn't even work.

This is the first time I've had a A/V component die -- (and I've had bunches). I wonder if it was heat related?

I hope I can get it fixed/replaced sometime soon -- they claim a 2 week turnaround. I'm trying to get my dealer to swap one out for me -- but they're pretty scarce.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
You get one of them fancy rolling blackouts two days ago? The surge when power came back on could of toasted the box...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was out of town, but I don't believe I was hit with the blackout. I have a server that didn't reboot and some other equipment with clocks that weren't blinking 12:00. All the equipment in my rack is hooked up through a Monster surge protector / line conditioner, but that doesn't guarantee anything.

I was ready to pack it up and send it back, but I decided to unplug everything again and let it sit -- this time I unplugged it all (antenna, power, etc.) and let it sit for over an hour. When I plugged it all back in, it started working again!

I'll just hope it keeps working ... I'm extremely happy with it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a similar experience - my HD100 unit didn't "die" but it "froze" in the sense that it couldn't be turned off and none of the buttons on the remote or the unit itself would respond to being pushed. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it came right back to life just fine. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I've had several sony boxes all the way back to the one I bought in 97 that do that. Damn, how come I didn't think to suggest that? That's the first thing Sony will tell you to do.

Glad you got the helicopter back up and running.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
These things are, of course, just dedicated computors and a reboot will most times cure what bothers them. I wish the rest of my life would respond to a reboot.... Oh, yea, on the Sony unit itself, not the remote, try guide and arrow down for a restart. Art

[This message has been edited by Art Lloyd (edited 03-24-2001).]

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've had the HD-100 go weird on me twice now since I've had it (1 week now). I will be moving around the channels and it will suddenly get real slow and start lagging behind the remote commands I'm sending. It won't then bring in any digital signals. I unplug it and all is well. All I have to do is reset the time, it retains everything else. I was wondering should I return it, or should I figure I will have to go through the occasional inconvenience of having to unplug it once in a while. I did purchase a 3 year warranty on it (so there's no hurry).

Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.