AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had both. I returned the Panny BUT, in retrospect, I think the Panny was and is the better box. The Panny was slow but apparently has been significantly improved by recent software downloads. The Panny's upconverted picture is definitely better than the Sony. I also think the Panny HD picture was the best. The Sony also has the incredibly annoying habit of taking forever to get the program guide and then suddenly losing it. I would never buy this box again. I am waiting for the Zenith box which may wind up being the best. If not I would now go with the Panny. My only concern now with the Panny is dropouts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for your info Ken.

I have 2 more questions for you given you have used both units.

1.Does the Panny have a output mode similar to Sony's "Variable 3" which is a 1080i/4801i auto detection output mode. Connected to the component output, if the signal is 1080i it displays it in 16:9 autmoatically. Conversely, if the signal is 480i it displays it in 4:3 mode without having to change to another output such as S-video to watch 480i in 4:3.

2. When will the Zenith DTV1080 unit be in stores and why is it better than the sony or panny.

Jerry

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross:
I had both. I returned the Panny BUT, in retrospect, I think the Panny was and is the better box. The Panny was slow but apparently has been significantly improved by recent software downloads. The Panny's upconverted picture is definitely better than the Sony. I also think the Panny HD picture was the best. The Sony also has the incredibly annoying habit of taking forever to get the program guide and then suddenly losing it. I would never buy this box again. I am waiting for the Zenith box which may wind up being the best. If not I would now go with the Panny. My only concern now with the Panny is dropouts.

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the panny does have a "native" type mode which transfers what it sees to the output. The Zenith will have 3 inputs which means you can input digital cable, OTA digital and satellite. This together with the APG program guide will be the most seamless switching of any box on the market. I have firsthand experience with Zenith tuners since there is one built-in to my Zenith HDTV. I find the picture superior to any box currently on the market. Keep in mind this is Zenith's FIRST generation tuner. The one coming out is actually a 3rd generation tuner. Given my high regard for their 1st gen unit, I'm expecting really nice things from the upcoming one.

The unit should be out in 2 weeks according to some posts I've read here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Sony KP61-HS30 HDTV (it is a 4x3 61" HDTV). Which decoder box is better for it: Sony SAT HD-100 or Panasonic TU-HDS20

In reviewing the spec's it appears the Panasonic can output 480i, 480P 720P and 1080i. Sony only 480i or 1080i. Therefore, thumbs up for Panasonic.

Also, it is true that the HS30 will accept 480p native singal bypassing the DRC. If so, then the panasoninc 480p signal should produce a cleaner/sharper 480p picture, as oppose to upconverting the 480p to 960i through it DRC circuitry. Therefore, thumbs up for Pansonic.

How is the overall picture quality between the two boxes

How is the navigation in the Panasonic, Sony is terribley slow.

What other features do I need to consider or know about?

·
Registered
8 Posts
FWIW, it just returned my HD100 for a HDS20 and am torn between the two. I have a Sony 36" XBR450. I returned the HD100 because I was getting significant lip sync issues on NBC and sometimes Fox. But now, given the limited HD content on those networks, I am thinking of switching back. Here are my observations:

Sony is better at...

* HD picture quality on OTA, same on DirecTv

* non-HD DirecTv picture. less blur, noise, etc.

* guide, menus, interface

* OTA HD reception seems better. both had OTA dropouts (Sony signal strength near-100) but less dropouts on Sony.

* front panel display

Panny is better at...

* no lip sync problem on Leno last night

* Pulled in more stations (DC from Baltimore) but these were unwatchable with the dropouts.

This just a first cut and I would interested to hear others experiences. I may have set something up wrong because I've read some posts saying the Panny PQ was better. It definitely wasn't last night.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Unlike the Sony can the Panasonic display the HD picture and the Guide at the same time?

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most people and reviewers have noted that the SD picture from DTV is superior on the Panny. I agree. I never saw a better picture than the Panny in this mode. The Sony does not have the APG, but is plagued with dropouts, lip synch, disappearing guide etc. Otherwise it's a great box. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
So the only thing missing (extra) on the Panasonic and Sony is Caller ID.

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
The more I read on STB's the more I think an accurate analogy of which box you'd choose is like whether I should want death by drowning or firing squad! Man, I am waiting for the Zenith, with fingers crossed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.