AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a brand new owner of a Sony KP-65XBR10W and a Sony SAT-HD100 and have a couple of questions regarding the basic setup:

1) I have a roof top standard antenna which I use for both normal OTA analog reception as well as OTA digital broadcasts but it "appears" that for the SAT-HD100 to output a video signal that can be displayed you must have BOTH the "VHF/UHF IN" and "VHF/UHF IN (DTV)receiving a signal. This would mean a coax cable into both. This seems ridiculous as I would have to split the signal just prior to going into both coax inputs. Although I could program the HD100 with "Auto ADD" for both analog and digital I think that I did it by moving the single coax input (output from my rooftop antenna) from one coax input to the other.

2) The channel indicators are puzzling. For example, although the designated official channel numbers for the local Washington D.C. stations are as follows I can't receive a signal on that designated channel but in fact receive it on the channel.subchannel indicated. Why is that? These XX.x channels were automatically added when doing the digital "Auto Program" function. And, I can't directly key in XX.x. I key in the close whole channel number and then channel + it until I get to the digital XX.x channel.

National affiliate Designated channel Actual channel

NBC/WRC 48 4.1

FOX/WTTG 36 5.1

ABC/WJLA 39 7.1

CBS/WUSA 34 9.1

PBS/WETA 27 26.1 26.2

Please send your responses to my e-mail address as well as here. Thanks for your help. I may also have additional questions later as I get more familar with the new unit. As of yet I haven't experienced any of the reported problems with the HD100 but I have only been using it about 1 week.

One last question...is the "rumor" true that Monday Night Football will no longer be broadcast in HDTV? If that's true I guess Disney's acquisition of ABC caused yet another loss of an industry leader (ABC) being reduced to nothing more than a follower.

Thanks,

Tom

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Tom:

I'll respond to your last question first. ABC discontinued HDTV broadcast of MNF after the 1999 season. Although ABC has been slowly adding prime time HD programming, they no longer have access to the eqt. for live broadcasts, and I doubt that they will be showing MNF this season in HD.

As for you setup, I have exactly the same TV and HD receiver. If I'm not mistaken, if you are not using cable and are getting analog stations only from your roof top antenna, you must split the line at the HD100 end, and run two inputs to the HD100. One for VHF/UHF In and the other the VHF/UHF IN DTV. You don't need to run another coax from the antenna. If you also have cable, then you'll have to give up the analog input, and use that for cable. That input will autoseach either cable or analog, but not both. The digital input is for digital only.

As for the digital stations, you should be seeing them on their preferred channel number, as designated by your local affiliate, with the information sent through their PSIP. For instance, in my local market, channel 10, which is a CBS affiliate, sends their digital signal on 24. However, it shows on my program guide as 10.1. Similarly, NBC, which is analog 8, sends their digital signal on 7, but the PSIP display as 8.1.

Hope this clarifies the situation. BTW, I believe PSIP is the acronym for Program System Information Protocal.

Let us know if you need any more information.

Ron

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The 2 inputs on the HD100 for OTA were done that way for a reason. The DTV input is setup to filter out non-digital stations that are broadcasting close to the digital stations so the digital station come in cleaner. For instance, in the DC area, WETA broadcasts analog on channel 26 and digital on channel 27. Just split the antennae lead at the set and feed into each input.

As far as channel remapping, the PSIP information sent by the station does this. That's why 48 comes out 4.1, leaving room for a 4.2 - 4.x addition. WETA already uses 26.1 and 26.2.

You can go to it using the keypad by pushing the . (dot) button to the left of the 0 (zero). So for 4.1 you actually push 4 then . then 1.

Hope this helps.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.