AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall I was looking for a ATSC tuner with VGA out, so I could use my LCD monitor as a TV. The only thing I could find on the market was the Kworld SA-290Q, selling for about $70 to $90. I was not too impressed at that price, so I waited and caught a Black Friday special on a 19"Sansui LCDTV. I can use the Sansui as a monitor, so I gave away my old LCD. It seemed there just weren't many standalone ATSC tuners available.

So yesterday I'm cruising a local resale shop for hardware, which I often do. Among the castoff satellite boxes I see a SONY SAT-HD100. Knew nothing about it, but noticed it had an ATSC tuner, VGA & component out etc. Took it home and it does everything I had wanted an ATSC tuner for! I don't need the satellite part of it, but the local channels come in just slightly weaker than my TV, good enough. Wish I hadn't given away my LCD.

I paid $5.00 for this little gem.
This particular shop is becoming my favorite place! Ordinary satellite boxes sell for $4 - $5 there and I don't know what use they are even at that price. But this thing made my week!

· Registered
281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumagah99 /forum/post/18126433

Last fall I was looking for a ATSC tuner with VGA out, so I could use my LCD monitor as a TV. The only thing I could find on the market was the Kworld SA-290Q, selling for about $70 to $90. I was not too impressed at that price, so I waited and caught a Black Friday special on a 19"Sansui LCDTV. I can use the Sansui as a monitor, so I gave away my old LCD. It seemed there just weren't many standalone ATSC tuners available.

So yesterday I'm cruising a local resale shop for hardware, which I often do. Among the castoff satellite boxes I see a SONY SAT-HD100. Knew nothing about it, but noticed it had an ATSC tuner, VGA & component out etc. Took it home and it does everything I had wanted an ATSC tuner for! I don't need the satellite part of it, but the local channels come in just slightly weaker than my TV, good enough. Wish I hadn't given away my LCD.

I paid $5.00 for this little gem.
This particular shop is becoming my favorite place! Ordinary satellite boxes sell for $4 - $5 there and I don't know what use they are even at that price. But this thing made my week!

I have this same receiver and was wondering whether it still works with Direct TV for an additional room or is the decoding processor too ancient?? Also my lcd montior only has a DVI intput. Are there adapters?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.