Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Sony Owners,

I was wondering if others experience the same problem. My unit is in a cabinet with about 6 inches open up top and no front block at all. My first unit got hot to the touch so I returned it only to find the second one is the same. I put a digital thermometer above the unit and it get over 100 degrees.

I was first concerned about the loud fan noise so I put sound insulation inside the cabinet. Now I had to but a seperate fan to attach to the back of the cabinet to keep it below 80 degress and it's louder than the Sony fan. I just can't win.

PS. I still like this unit better than my old RCA DTC100.

joe

·
Registered
961 Posts
Mine's warm to the touch. I've got it in an open cabinet with a DVD player sitting on top of it. It's cooler than my Denon receiver. Art

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since I put the extra fan in the cabinet (20 degrees cooler) it does not seem to lock up as much in HD. I wonder if the heat causes the lock-up???

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
It is true that the HD-100 runs very hot; this can be mitigated by placing it *outside* any cabinet (not behind doors, etc.). In fact, I have run my unit "fanless" for several months now sitting on top of my HDTV. However, I also drilled several large holes in the top cover (eight half-inch ones to be exact) that I believe help with heat dissipation.

You can search on my name for several threads about the fan/heat issue if you like.

[This message has been edited by Stanton (edited 10-08-2001).]

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I have an HD100 that remains on 24/7. I never shut it off due to occasional ReplayTV recording. I have an EchoStar 4700 receiver sitting on top of it, separated by four AudioQuest "Little Feet" that put about an inch of airspace between them.

The HD100 runs kind of hot, I guess you could say "very warm."

------------------

Robert Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis

[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.