Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am new to this forum, so I hope I am not bringing up an age old question. If I am please point me to the old thread.

I just got into HDTV with a Mistu 46809, and a Sat-HD100 DSS receiver. I used to have an RCA dss receiver, and one thing I loved about it was that I could surf channels in the guide while keeping the video of the CURRENT channel in the upper left window. On the sony when surfing the guide, the video in the upper left changes with the surf. Is there a way to turn that off? I know about the Surf mode, but that only seems to work on the index surfing....

:confused:

GuitarJ

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hello GuitarJ

You can try the INDEX button. This leaves the channel you are watching on in the upper left hand corner in the upper right hand corner you can see what is on the channel you have highlighted. Not 100% sure if that is what you are looking for but it is pretty cool.

Later

Joe

·
Registered
22 Posts
Run Away - FAST! Get rid of that Sony HD100 before it's too late. Have you run into lip synch problems yet on OTA digital channels??? You will!

Refer to my thread earlier today.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Newbie posts like the preceding one are not constructive. It is a well-known fact that the lip-sync problems with the HD-100 are largely due to local broadcasts *encoding* problems--not the HD-100. It just so happens that the HD-100 is a little more stringent per the standard. Do some research before spreading panic, and get your local stations on board w/their affiliates who know what's going on. The only thing you need to remove is the fan from your HD-100!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont have a problem with the fan noise..... and I have not noticed any lip sync problems anyways. I like the unit, I just think the guide is not big enough, you can only see a few channels at a time, and as you look to see whats on you cant see your program, you have to watch what you are surfing...... dunno if that makes sense or not....

GuitarJ

·
Registered
149 Posts
Have 2 HD-100's; both freeze occasionally (rarely), but otherwise work just fine. There is no lip-sync on either; never was. As for the 'surfing' issue; that's explained in the owner's manual, and is user-selectable (in the set-up process) for surfing when changing or staying on what you're watching while you're looking at other channel listings (your choice; both interesting alternatives; neither works in digital mode; though on the XBR 2, one of the PIP channels can be digital, which I think is a first). Back to the HD-100; only the fan noise is bothersome; but at least it does work...and well. Also, the integrated tuning (HD OTA, cable and DirecTV seem to work with no problem from that aspect). Mine are early units from February; would enjoy hearing if anyone has newer units with better or worse overall performance...thanks

gene inger
www.ingerletter.com

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gene,

You say that the surfing feature is in the manual? The only thing I see in the manual is the Surf On/Off. That only affects the Index guide. Lets say I am watching the end of a show. I want to surf around to see what is commin on next. So I want the show I am watching the end of to remain in the upper left when I put the guide on. Then I can surf titles to see whats comming up. If I see something I want I can select it, but other wise I am just keeping the channel number in mind for the next hour of shows.

I coul do this on the RCA DSS box. I was hoping to retain this feature, but I might not be able to.

If you are able to do this, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
149 Posts
hi...sorry unable to answer sooner...busy stock market these days. Yes, I am able to set it either to surf on (which I think is the setting that changes the small picture as channels change) or to surf off (which leaves the picture the same as I scroll through the Index to see what movies/shows are on other channels, but am able to continue watching what I had on. As a matter of fact, I keep one of the boxes on the former and the other the latter (not sure which I prefer, though in different rooms)... so I know this works. try it...should do just what it says...be sure to hit (I think) 'enter' or something, to be sure your remote sends the selected signal. (not sure, would look it up, but the manual's not handy). Anyway, definitely able to do just what you're talking about, and in fact was one of the reasons I waited for the Sony over the other STB's, which were (in some cases) available a bit sooner.

regards,

gene inger
www.ingerletter.com

·
Registered
780 Posts
Surf On/Off ONLY affects Index mode. In Guide mode, the picture in the Media window ALWAYS changes as you move through the guide. Note that the media window only shows anything at all if the station is a standard-def DirectTV channel, everything else says "Press + to tune to the station".

Tony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.