AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are other SAT-HD100 owners still experiencing these problems? Well I am and I'm real fed up with it. I have sent my box to Sony and they claim there is nothing wrong. It has the latest software but I still get random video/audio dropouts for 1-2 seconds while watching any DirecTV. I am spending far more time testing this than is appropriate for a consumer electronics device. In any case I have tried the reciever with both a round and elliptical dish with bot HD and non-HD DirecTV signals and on all the various outputs (VGA, component, S-Video) and still get the dropouts. SAT-HD100 owners please weigh in here and let me know your experience good or bad. Also let me know when you purchased your unit. I'm curious if newer units are working better?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have had mine since the end of July 2001. I believe it was manufactured in June of 2001. I have had no problems with the set via OTA digital/analog or DirecTV. The only thing I had to do was add 2 signal boosters near the antenna because I installed a multi-switch so I could have 4 receivers running at the same time.

[This message has been edited by andyg (edited 09-16-2001).]

·
Registered
785 Posts
Have had my HD100 about 2 months. Manufacture date says 3/2001. I have had no problems, other than the occassional video freeze for a second or so when watching HBO HD. No drop outs at all with standard Directv broadcasts. Don't get OTA, so don't know how it works for that. The only other very, very minor problem I have had is a very infrequent freeze-up of the menu when using "Index". I just unplug the receiver for a few minutes, and all is well. This has only happened about 2 or 3 times. Basically, I am very happy with the unit--just wish the menus and guides were a little faster, and that it had APG.

mike

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have an early model and it is much improved since the remedial upgrades. In the last few days, however, it seems to have trouble with the program guide. It is slower and often erases itself without prompt. I have had occasional DTV droupouts but they are very infrequent and minor. Perhaps DTV is making some kind of adjustments? Art

[This message has been edited by Art Lloyd (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
Registered
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kraigk:
Are other SAT-HD100 owners still experiencing these problems?
Yes. I'm not certain whether its a problem that just affects a subset of HD100's or or not; I still get a significant number of dropouts that don't occur with my DTC100. I have no doubt that this is a HD100 problem. I believe Ken Ross mentioned he has the same probs with his HD100. It's a real problem and another reason I think the HD100 isn't ready for primetime, at least the version I have. I'd be interested too as to whether this is corrected in newer versions. My box is an early version (low hundreds ser. no.).

------------------

"You can't argue with a confident man"

- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13

·
Registered
33,442 Posts
As HighDefGuy said, I am still getting the periodic dropouts (at least before I was able to set my clock to them). Also, as Art indicated, this box does have the incredibly annoying habit of erasing its program guide. You sit there reading it and then boom it's gone. We all know how long the Sony guide takes to refresh itself. All in all, this was not one of my more "intelligent" purchases. I have been criticizing Sony QC for the past several years. This is a company that in my eyes has dropped significantly in their technological knowhow. I don't perceive them to be the leaders they once were.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've had mine for a couple of weeks and it's much better than my old DTC100. I had a couple of picture freeze last night to on Band of Brothers but I think it's Directv not the Sony.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've had mine since March 2001, and the only dropouts I was getting was thru DTV "UHF" channels. But I was able to fix that by tilting my antenna. In regards to DirecTv, never had any dropouts on video or audio.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey Joseph Saccio,

You finally went and got it! Congrats, you'll definitely enjoy it.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi had many video drops when I first got this box right after it's release. After the update, it got better and I rarely see them at all. However, in the last couple of weeks I have started to see them again. I got 3 last night while watching band of brothers. I moved my HD100 into a tighter spot in my rack and felt it this morning and it was quite hot. I am wondering if this might be a heat issue with the box, as some people get them and some don't. I have been seeing the drops again since I moved it. I will put it in a more open space and see what happens. I am hoping the Zenith offers the same quality and features and I will gladly get repalce it. I think it has to many glitches with the drops, loud fan, and no local prgram info.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
My HD100 had the same three dropouts during Band of Brothers last night. Do we blame Sony or DirecTv?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Good question...? Well, I see in the programming area that same people with DTC's had drops also? Maybe it's not a heat issue as I mentioned above? Anybody else get drops last night on BOB?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just thought I would let the Sony SAT-HD100 folks know that there will be a software update coming soon. I talked for some time with a level 2 tech at Sony and she could not be more specific as to when, but she did say the update will address the kinds of video drop issues we've been discussing here. Cross your fingers....

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How to see your software version:

On the front of the receiver hold down the menu button and the down arrow button and the service menu will popup.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One more thing everyone... As I said in a previous thread Sony "said" they will be sending down a software update soon. If everyone having the dropout problems can contact their tech support and log a call maybe we can get this update sooner and hopefully be fixed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sony tech support are not always truthful. I called regarding software patch updates via DirecTV transmission and they said they have never heard of this. But I read in other postings that Sony has acknowledged software patch fixes via DirecTV. There is no other way to fix these units except via satelite. It is not like a computer you can download a file and run the program.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.