AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I purchase a SAT-HD200, do I need to activate the DirecTV access card within 30 days? A sales drone at CC told me I do.


Initially, I plan to use it for OTA reception alone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't bought it yet, so I haven't signed anything.


I thougt there might be somebody on this forum who has purchased the receiver and they could answer my question.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Both CC and Worst Buy require activation for existing customers or 1 year service for new customers.


I talked to reps in both stores. I told them I was buying a dish and receiver for my dad and I wasn't going to commit him to a year of service. They tried to tell me how "out of luck" I was.


That's when I went and picked up a DTC100 on eBay for 325. Screw contracts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I would imagine that they will bill your credit card if you go that route.


I would recommend contacting Tweeter, they are showing four locations in your state. My Friend checked out my SAT-200 last week, and then went to Tweeter and purchased one for himself. They did not mention anything about activating the card within 30 days, although he is a Direct TV subscriber, the salesmen never asked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,182 Posts
The HD200 at CC already has the card with the unit. Due to this fact they make you sign a contract that you will activate it within 30 days. If you don't you are subject to $150 charge from D*. If you buy a unit that does not already have the card you will have to get it from D* and probably be subject to the same thing. Why would you be worrying if you are going to sign up anyway:confused: unless you have other plans:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,143 Posts
The way the contracts have previously worked (and it's been years since I purchased a directv receiver)


When Directv covers some of the cost of the hardware there is a contract. If the receivers didn't carry a directv discount you had to pay full retail price. Direct historically hasn't given discounts on HDTV receivers. That may have changed, but if you pay more than $500 or so you shouldn't be forced to sign up for anything, you are carrying the full cost yourself.


To add to that, it doesn't come with a dish, so it's not a "ready to use" system. I don't think you'll be tied down. But just read all paperwork you get at the store and don't sign a service contract.


Like I said before it's been a while, but as far as I know the policy hasn't changed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Can you get the OTA to work without a contract with D*? The reason I ask is that a friend bought the Hughes from Best Buy and is having problems even getting to the program for adding OTA channels. He is having dish installed on wed and is a new customer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HDURFTV
Can you get the OTA to work without a contract with D*? The reason I ask is that a friend bought the Hughes from Best Buy and is having problems even getting to the program for adding OTA channels. He is having dish installed on wed and is a new customer.
Yes. I had my HD200 for about 2 weeks before I signed up for D*. It worked fine and I was able to pick up every single digital/HD station in my area.


Glen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by baja
The HD200 at CC already has the card with the unit. Due to this fact they make you sign a contract that you will activate it within 30 days. If you don't you are subject to $150 charge from D*. If you buy a unit that does not already have the card you will have to get it from D* and probably be subject to the same thing. Why would you be worrying if you are going to sign up anyway:confused: unless you have other plans:eek:
I don't have an oval dish yet and therefore cannot receive DirecTV HDTV broadcasts. On the other hand, I would like to use the HD-200 for OTA HD prior to having the dish installed. DirecTV is supposed to install the dish on 9/27. I'd rather have the dish installed and ready to go before I agree to activate the card.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rickypicky
I don't have an oval dish yet and therefore cannot receive DirecTV HDTV broadcasts. On the other hand, I would like to use the HD-200 for OTA HD prior to having the dish installed. DirecTV is supposed to install the dish on 9/27. I'd rather have the dish installed and ready to go before I agree to activate the card.
Sounds just like my situation. I bought an HD200 from Good Guys. They didn't force me to sign up for anything, but they did tell me that I had to activate the card within 30 days. I watched OTA HD for a couple of weeks w/o DirecTV, then, 2 weeks later, I signed up for DirecTV via the Para Todos deal which gives you the oval HD dish for the same $15.00 price as the regular dish. Activated the card about 20 days after I bought the HD200.


Glen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
How D* knows where the receiver came from? i bought HD200 brand new from a friend of mine who got it at CC a couple of months ago. He never opened it, and never activate it (he changed his mind and decided to wait for Rainbow DBS)... He showed me his CC receipt, and there is not even mention of serial number for this receiver or anything on the receipt. What will happen when I call D* to activate it? I'm existing customer already in contract with D*. Can I tell them I just bought it from ebay or something? Or they have a way to see where and when it was actually purchased?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by t0lik
How D* knows where the receiver came from? i bought HD200 brand new from a friend of mine who got it at CC a couple of months ago. He never opened it, and never activate it (he changed his mind and decided to wait for Rainbow DBS)... He showed me his CC receipt, and there is not even mention of serial number for this receiver or anything on the receipt. What will happen when I call D* to activate it? I'm existing customer already in contract with D*. Can I tell them I just bought it from ebay or something? Or they have a way to see where and when it was actually purchased?
The dealers report the access card(s) number(s) from the box. They report back to Directv, so yes they can tell.




Like I stated before, unless you are getting a price break on the receiver you shouldn't have to sign up. I suspect the sales guys are told the "they must sign up" line and they just repeat that to everyone because that's what they were told to do.


But, I'm having a tough time finding anything to support what I said about "forced" activation...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
I think the required activation is a carry-over (in the salesmen's mind) from the "normal" DirecTV boxes that do require it at purchase. Typically the sales people do not realize that this unit does not REQUIRE a DirecTV signal to work as it can still receiver OTA.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top