AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time post for me. I am having issues with HD200 satellite receiver outputting on DVI cable. Equipment being used is a Samsung HLM507W 50" rear projection DLP television and the Sony SAT-HD200. According to the Sony manual on page 11 (from memory) the available output formats from DVI are: 1080i, 720p, 480p, variable 1, variable 2, variable 3, Auto DVI. When connected to the Samsung, the only outputs that I can scroll through (using the format button on the front of the Sony) are 720p, 480p, 480i (no picture) and Auto DVI (which puts out 720p). I cannot get the Sony to output 1080i for any reason. I know that this is not so much of an issue with a native 720p display but I would like to know what scales 1080i material to the displays native resolution better - the set top box or the television. When I talk to Samsung, they tell me that their T.V. will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p on the DVI input. Sony tells me either that they don't know or one person told me that it was the television talking back to the HD200 and not letting it put out 1080i - ? This is also the same guy who told me that DVI is not better picture quality but only for HDCP copy protection (I don't personally believe this, or else my eyes are wrong and every HT publication is lying to us about the benefits of pure digital paths). Does DVI transmit data both ways? It does not seem correct to me that I can't send 1080i material all the way through to the television and let it's scaler do the conversion. Has anyone else had this problem or has anyone else been able to send out 1080i from DVI? By the way, I can get it to send out 1080i on both the component video and VGA outputs. Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for the response. The Samsung is capable of receiving 1080i, 720p and 480p on it's DVI input. I don't get a "no signal" or "out of range" message, it just tells me that it's in 720p because I can't change the HD200 to output 1080i. Both units are HDCP capable.

·
Super Moderator
21,527 Posts
DVI HDCP does communicate both ways: it interrogates the display for a handshake (to be sure it is HDCP)

the reason you cannot get higher than 720p over DVI/HDCP is probably because the source material is 720p- that is the way it is intended to work

(note that 720p is a better signal than 1080i)

Mark

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While I do agree with you that a progressive image is much better than an interlaced image I am 99.9% that my source material is 1080i. Sources used to check the system were HDNet (1080i I believe), HBO HD (1080i) and local CBS HD (also 1080i I believe). I was pretty sure that DVI can communicate 2 ways for HDCP verification but does it transmit both ways for resolution and such?

·
Super Moderator
21,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Shane K
I was pretty sure that DVI can communicate 2 ways for HDCP verification but does it transmit both ways for resolution and such?
I think it does

can you leave the HD200 in Auto DVI mode and see if it changes on different programs?

Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an HD-200 and can use the Format button to change from 1080i to 720p to 480i (which goes out the composite ports so you won't see a signal) to Auto DVI to the variable modes. When I use Auto the HD200 chooses to send 1080i since that is the native resolution of my Hitachi 51GWX20B RPTV.

Sounds to me like either your HD200 or your monitor has a problem. If it was an HDCP problem I don't think it would be working at 720p either.

Do you have a set of component cables (if your Samsung has component inputs)? Might want to try connecting that way and using 1080i to make sure that the Samsung can handle the 1080i signal that the HD200 is outputting.

DVI is definitely better picture quality, at least in my own tests with my setup.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by markrubin
(note that 720p is a better signal than 1080i)
Perhaps it is a better signal, but my eyes tell me 1080i is more enjoyable.

·
Super Moderator
21,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by XFactor
Perhaps it is a better signal, but my eyes tell me 1080i is more enjoyable.
actually I agree- and the information banner is sized properly with 1080i setting- with 720p the banner is smaller

but it is good to point this out- people see a bigger number and think it is a better resolution

Mark

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In response to markrubin, if I leave it in DVI Auto it has only stayed in 720p. It has not switched to any other resolution.

In response to krails, I can get the Sony to switch between all available resolutions (i.e. 1080i, 720p, 480p and the variables) if it is hooked up either component or RGB on VGA.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just hooked up the Sony SAT-HD200 to the Panasonic RPTV DLP 52"? (DVI connection) and had no trouble scrolling through all of the available outputs on the Sony (1080i, 720p, 480p and all of the variables). Now what I don't know is whether all Samsung DLPs have this problem with the Sony or it is particular to my set. Anyone else have any trouble with this set?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Shane

I have the same problem you do with auto DVI. My combination is HD200 and Hitachi 42HDT20 plasma. This is very frustrating since the Hitachi is a 1024 X 1024 ALiS panel which produces stunning images on 1080i material but slightly softer on 720p(becase of the way it scales; but this is a separate topic--see TrainerDave for discussion). As a result I use the RGB output on the HD200 in order to get 1080i.

I started a similar thread several months ago but nobody could explain the reason. Even more bizarre was an HD200 owner who had a display with native 720p resolution, but for him the auto-DVI would only output a 1080i signal--NO 720p!!!! Just the reverse of our problem.

I originally was thinking along mark's lines, but tried all those things and nothing worked.

I called both Sony and Hitachi to discuss the issue. Although they both acknowledged there is some sort of "handshake" between the two components when using DVI, neither tech team could explain why it seemed to be working in "reverse". My only guess is that since DVI/HDCP is relatively new, that maybe the manufactures got some of the protocol "backwards". I thought I'd call both again in a couple of months to see if there is acknowledgement of the issue.

Also, as you know you can't "work around" this problem by simply switching between RGB and DVI outputs on the HD200, since if DVI cable is connected, it overrides other output. Of course you can always manually switch cables every time you want to view an HDCP program if/when they start turning on the flags..........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spoke with Sony and Samsung the other day. Sony said that they tested their HD200 with a few of their T.V.s and with the same model Samsung. The Samsung operated exactly as I had described. Also, some of their T.V.s would let them switch to 1080i over the DVI output, while others would not. They described it as the T.V. talking back over the DVI and telling the STB what kind of resolution it would like. According to them, it's all about if the T.V. is designed that way or not. The Panasonic that I just tried, let me choose from any mode available. Samsung didn't have an answer for this but said that they would get back to me. I have been speaking to one person lately who is very helpful. Other than this issue with the HD200 and Samsung I do think that it is probably the best HD box out there right now (I know it's made by Zenith but I haven't played with that one yet). I especially like the variable modes that they offer. The ability to have the box scale to one resolution or to output the same that was received, is nice. Even if your T.V. is a native 720p, you can at least see what scales 1080i better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.