AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on my second HD200 this year and it too has died/hibernated. My last one played dead for a few days before resurrecting itself, and #2 died yesterday during Isabel.

All of my components are plugged into the same powerstrip, and all are working except the HD200. Does anyone else have this problem? I'm tired of sending the damn things back.

I miss my DirecTV.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sounds like you may have a line voltage issue. Fluctuating voltage can kill components. Believe it or not, when your voltage drops low it can kill it also. You should look into a line conditioner. Your HD200 could just be mosre sensitive than your other components.

·
Registered
532 Posts
That has happened to me once. I took off the cover and disconnected the power supply from the main board and let it sit for about 10 minutes. It came back up after I plugged it back in.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by abosco
I'm on my second HD200 this year and it too has died/hibernated.
Are your dish and OTA antenna grounded? If not, they should be. And the ground must also be bonded to your main electrical house ground source, if a separate ground was used. Not doing this can repeated fry electronic equipment.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Strange, my HD200 was hibernating today. I unplugged it for ten minutes and now power/stanby is back on. This all happened after a quick power blink. All my gear is on the same power surge, and the sony was the only thing to act up.

Did your first one hibernate again? why did you exchange it?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bangbang
All my gear is on the same power surge, and the sony was the only thing to act up.
It is probably the only thing that is "technically" a computer. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point Jferg.

I am going to send the second one back this week. (For once the CC extended service plan is paying off.)

The second one came back to life after several days, but I know from the first experience that it will just go to sleep again in a few days.

In the meantime, I pulled my old Sony SD Sat box out and had it activated. Now my TiVo changes the channels properly, and a mysterious buzzing noise has disappeared from my recordings of Showtime and HBO shows.

Maybe I'll be able to use the next HD200 for only live HD feeds. Can I split the DirecTV signal?

I cannot believe that I paid $800 for the HD200 and it's the most unreliable Sat receiver I've ever had (my 3 or 4th I think).

I can't wait for the HD TiVo to arrive. Hope Sony doesn't make it.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
FWIW, Sony didn't make the HD200. It's made by LG.

The buzzing noise points to the possibility of an improper ground causing a "ground loop".

How is your DirecTV/OTA antenna system grounded?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was professionally installed, so I'm assuming it's properly grounded, but I'll double check when I get home.

The strange thing about the noise, is that it was only on HBO and Showtime recorded shows, and it only started when the actual program started. In other words, the previews, commercials, etc. recorded did not generate noise. It only started when the actual program started.

Weird huh?

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by abosco
It was professionally installed, so I'm assuming it's properly grounded...
Never assume this.

Installers should ground satellite dishes and antennas per NEC or local electrical codes, and most do. But there are some lazy installers out there that omit grounding or don't do it correctly. A separate unbonded dish/antenna ground often causes more problems than an ungrounded one, due to differences in potential between the dish/antenna ground and the main house power ground.

If your antenna or dish wasn't grounded/bonded to the main power ground, call the intallers back and tell them you want it grounded per NEC code. There should be ground wires leading back to your home's main power ground.
http://home.swbell.net/arxaw/antennas/dishground.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
I sit down to watch a good hd movie and try to turn on the hd200 nothing

no lights, no power. So I call sony. They will send a old refurbished unit to replace mine (which is only 40 days old) or I can wait 4 weeks to have mine repaired, neither choice is good. I cant believe this. My mits hd5 lasted 18 months with no problems. Then they tell me they are out of units and cant ship for 4-5 days. I am going to miss this weeks football. such a sad day

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jbheat
... My mits hd5 lasted 18 months with no problems...
What happened to your mits HD5?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jbheat
I sit down to watch a good hd movie and try to turn on the hd200 nothing

no lights, no power. So I call sony. They will send a old refurbished unit to replace mine (which is only 40 days old) or I can wait 4 weeks to have mine repaired, neither choice is good. I cant believe this. My mits hd5 lasted 18 months with no problems. Then they tell me they are out of units and cant ship for 4-5 days. I am going to miss this weeks football. such a sad day
Have you tried to unplug it for about 10 minutes?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arxaw
Never assume this.

Installers should ground satellite dishes and antennas per NEC or local electrical codes, and most do. But there are some lazy installers out there that omit grounding or don't do it correctly. A separate unbonded dish/antenna ground often causes more problems than an ungrounded one, due to differences in potential between the dish/antenna ground and the main house power ground.

If your antenna or dish wasn't grounded/bonded to the main power ground, call the intallers back and tell them you want it grounded per NEC code. There should be ground wires leading back to your home's main power ground.
Your illustration is very nice, however what if the power lead in is on one end of the house and the satellite dish is totally on the opposite end of the house?

J C

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JC West
... what if the power lead in is on one end of the house and the satellite dish is totally on the opposite end of the house?
In that case, the dish/antenna should be grounded to a closer ground source; either a ground rod driven into the ground directly below the dish, or other suitable nearby ground (metallic cold water pipe, etc.) that meets local codes.

Separate dish/antenna grounds should be bonded to the main electrical ground source with a large copper or aluminum ground wire. Bonding also applies to cable TV or telephone line grounds.

If bonding is omitted, voltage differences can build up between the two ground sources, and cause a "ground loop". This can kill a STB, TV or other sensitive electronic equipment. It is also against code to leave the two grounds unbonded.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have had the same "playing opossum" with my 520 and so have a half a dozen others in my area. Mine and theirs always recover after unplugging the unit from its AC power source for about 10 minutes. This is, in my opinion is a design flaw that needs to be addressed. Since it takes about 10 minutes for it to reset, then I conclude that it is related to the power supply capacitor discharge under a no load condition. The unit is obviously getting out of sync (lossing track of whether it is off or in standby) and the power supply has to discharge so the unit, when powered back on, gets back in sync. Most likely there is no way to correct this other than a hardware change, unfortunately.

Tom

·
Registered
109 Posts
Does anyone know if this has ever happend with a unit that is left on? Most of our clients use prontos, an I set them up to keep the unit on at all times. The one client that turns his on and off every day had this happen yesterday. I'm just wondering if it is a problem with the power supply.

·
Registered
29 Posts
To answer all others who asked... yes my dish is properly grounded, I have all my components plugged into a Monster Power Center 3500. Voltage is always normal. Power or ground is not a problem in my house at all. All other components work fine. This happened two other times in the past two months each time I unplugged for 30 mins and it would come back on. This time it has been unplugged for a day and it will not come on. I put in a call to Sony and they were very quick about getting me a refurbed unit shipped out asap... it sounded like this is a typical problem, he did not put up a fight, ask or have me try a million things, just took my info and is shipping another out. I have had this original unit working perfectly since 12/17/02.

- John

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.