AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the posts, I just went out and purchased a WD1200AB/RTL drive. Circuit City has them for $129 minus $30 rebate, here in Atlanta. I'm a Direct TV customer with two Sony W60 receivers. I would like more recording time.

Before I continue with the upgrade, can someone who is experienced at this please confirm that I have the right drive, it will work on the Sony unit for a Direct TV / Ultimate TV customer and that the MS site that my system will dial into is up and working.

Another post in the forum seemed to indicate that the member was having trouble connecting to MS servers and could not finish the upgrade. My units are only six month old and I don't want to trash the equipment.

I'm very comfortable working with / building PC's, I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track and that MS has not stopped access to the Ultimate TV server and download process for this type of upgrade.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Check out some of the recent posts and you'll see that people are still able to do the upgrade. One thing you definately should do before trying to do the upgrade.......be sure you can connect to MSN thru your UTV box. If you cannot establish a connection, go to the system test and be sure you get an OK on the modem test.

One of my UTV's cannot connect (bad modem?), so it is fruitless to try to upgrade it since I will never be able to d/l software onto the upgraded disk.

My second UTV upgraded no problem (last July) using the same drive (WD1200AB). I checked ability to connect to MSN on that box before doing the upgrade.

Good Luck,

SteveK

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've looked diligently for help in a step by step upgrade for this receiver and haven't found any. Has there been one posted? I'm very competent at upgrading my PC, but am hesitant to make sure there aren't any gottcha's before cracking the UTV box.

Anyone have a link or previous thread with instructions for us Newbies?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.