AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a good-ole Radio Shack double bow tie and with it I get about 50% signal on the local ABC feed (KOMO Ch 38 here in Seattle) but no lock, this is with the antena in my back yard sitting on the top of the picnic table.

How much signal do I need on this box to get a lock? Before I put a monster UHF rig on the roof I'd like to figure out what I need to get HD in the firt place. Is 50% even close?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My HD-100 won't lock at 64% or below. It locks at 65% or above. However, 65-68% usually results in a pixelating picture.

If others can post their HD-100 lock results, I am curious, as I am in Denver and can only get CBS at 64% and to be so close yet so far is frustrating!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I guess Ill wait until my monster Channel Master Yagi Of Death gets here before I climb up on the roof.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
ianken:

There must be some difference with OTA. The HD-100 will lock a satellite signal as low as 25 to 30 and actually produce a non-pixellated picture. I've seen it hold a picture in bad weather down in that range.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I have found that you need OTA signal strength of around 70 to lock and HOLD a station; the closer you get to 80, the better the picture (no break-ups). Beyond 80 doesn't seem to make a difference. I actually have separate UHF and VHF antennas in the attic to achieve this in Dallas.

·
Registered
961 Posts
It looks to me, too, that I need a signal in the mid-60s or above to lock up. KOMO -may- be running at a reduced power. I used to get KOMO, but now rarely get them. I live at the south end of Fidalgo Island. KCPQ is the only station I get 100% of the time. KCTS and KING come in most of the time. Art

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the monster yagi got here and while I didn't have time to put it on the roof I was able to zip tie it to the top of my fence and get KOMO reliably (str 80) and KIRO as well.

At this level the antena is about roof level on my house (one story, rambler) but is aimed at the side of house further down the block.

So things look good for a proper roof mount. I've called Seattle's own "Dan the Antenna Man" to come out in a few weeks and do a proper roof mount mast install.

I've been on a big upgrade push the last month or so and this is the last piece of the puzzle (for now, of course :)). When this is complete I will get HD via DirecTV, big dish and OTA.

Until then I will enjoy DiscoveryHD while they are testing and not encyypted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Remember, that RS has only an average of 5 db gain. You should be in fat city when you get something a little more powerful up on the roof.

That little RS wonder, gets me a solid lock on WCBS-DT in prime time at 50 miles +, on my chimney, amazing. Oh yeah, 70 to 80 on my borrowed DTC100.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.