AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting the "Short in your antenna conn....." on my sony reciever. I have OHM'ed out the cable and it is open. What could be causing this? I have the sat cable going from the LNB to the input of a Blounder Tongue combiner, and then diplexed behind the ENT center. I have bypassed all conn and ran the cable straight from LNB to reciever and still get the same result....Please advise.....HELPPP

·
Registered
42 Posts
Unfortunately, it means your receiver is fried and it must be replaced. You can try a hard reboot etc but I doubt it will work. The best thing to do is borrower another receiver and attach it. if it works, which I am sure, it is, it means that you need to junk the SONY.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What could have fried it? No storms, no power surge (panamax). The only thing that changed is I finally got the time to go in the attic and dress and terminate all of the cables in my house.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
If everything was fine before you "dress and terminate" your cables, that would be the first place to look.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
867 Posts
I had the similar message on my SONY SAT-A50 it turned out that the dog had bit through the cable in one portion. When the cable was replaced the problem went away. I had the similar when the cable was fine and I just did a hard reboot guide and down arrow and the problem went away for a short while.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The last time I had the message one of my F connectors had a short in it and I replaced it and everything worked fine. Some of the mesh wire that shields the coax was touching solid copper wire that runs thru the middle of the coax. Check and make sure all your connections are good, then turn off the main power (I unplugged mine) and wait a few minutes for the unit to reset and then power back on. Your unit is not "fried". Don't panic.

------------------

Keith S.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have run a new cable from the LNB directly to the receiver. I do large commercial RF/Broadband dist for a living. The conn are fine, the cable OHM's out open and still have the short. I guess I'll just have to find another receiver and test it that way.......

·
Registered
599 Posts
Put a known good cable on the unit and see if the message

goes away?

------------------

Studio Broadcast Engineer

KET

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sony receivers protect themselves from overheating or damage to their power supplies from shorts in the coax and connectors by showing the phrase "a short has been detected" box popup on the screen. At the same time they stop putting out the 18 or so volts to the lnb.

The fix? Disconnect the power line and the coax. Reconnect the power to reboot the system and check for the message. It should be gone now since the coax is disconnected. Troubleshoot the connectors, coax, and the lnb to discover the fault.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.