AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the Sony Ct150 to upgrade sound on my new LCD TV. I have a 6-7 year old Sony FM stereo receiver I'm ditching my floor JBL speakers that I have had for 20 years. My question is, can I use the FM stereo receiver still to listen to FM stations through the new sony sound bar?..If yes, please explain how this would be hooked up.

The FM receiver has Digital optical video 2 in, multi ch in, and audio out sub woofer...if that helps any.

Edit: I realize the 350 has FM, but I could save a little $$$ with the 150 if my current FM receiver will somehow give me FM listening through the sound bar.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplayer111 /forum/post/19651463

I'm looking at the Sony Ct150 to upgrade sound on my new LCD TV. I have a 6-7 year old Sony FM stereo receiver I'm ditching my floor JBL speakers that I have had for 20 years. My question is, can I use the FM stereo receiver still to listen to FM stations through the new sony sound bar?..If yes, please explain how this would be hooked up.

The FM receiver has Digital optical video 2 in, multi ch in, and audio out sub woofer...if that helps any.

Edit: I realize the 350 has FM, but I could save a little $$$ with the 150 if my current FM receiver will somehow give me FM listening through the sound bar.

I don't believe the CT150 has the ability to accept speaker level inputs, only line level. Someone will need to corroborate this though.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplayer111 /forum/post/19657160

can anyone confirm that I can use a FM receiver to listen to FM stations through Sony sound bar?

Not unless your receiver can output one of the following: HDMI, digital optical, digital coax, RCA stereo (red/white).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl /forum/post/19657880

Not unless your receiver can output one of the following: HDMI, digital optical, digital coax, RCA stereo (red/white).

It does have audio out listed under video 1(2 RCA jacks)..actually under video 1 it has video and audio out and video and audio in.

Will this do it...you response stated RCA stereo out..is that different than above? Thanks for helping a newb. I'm set to buy the Sony sound bar, but want to be sure I can listen to FM.

Another question, how would music Cds sound through the Sony 150 sound bar. I'm just looking for something adequate.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplayer111 /forum/post/19657959

It does have audio out listed under video 1(2 RCA jacks)..actually under video 1 it has video and audio out and video and audio in.

Will this do it...you response stated RCA stereo out..is that different than above? Thanks for helping a newb. I'm set to buy the Sony sound bar, but want to be sure I can listen to FM.

Another question, how would music Cds sound through the Sony 150 sound bar. I'm just looking for something adequate.

Yeah, that's what I meant although I don't know enough about receivers to know if it outputs FM on those outs or if it only sends FM audio to the speaker outs. Sorry I can't be more help on that.

Funny you asked about music CDs as I just hooked my player up to test it out with my CT350. To me it sounds very, very good. I boosted sub and bass levels higher than I use for TV/movies and set the sound field to Music (I didn't like the 2 ch. Stereo setting). Volume-wise at 25 (out of 40) the Rolling Stones drove me right out of the room.
Bass won't shake the walls down, but it's adequate (for me).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just tested by hooking the FM receiver outs to my new LCD TV via RCA cable. It worked, FM stations through my TV speakers.

So, this proves that I can get FM stations through the Sony 150 sound bar...correct?....lol....just want to be sure.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Yes, it appears you'll be just fine getting FM through the soundbar. You'll want to hook the cables up to the RCA inputs labeled SA-CD/CD and use the corresponding button on the remote when you want that input.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl /forum/post/19659001

Yes, it appears you'll be just fine getting FM through the soundbar. You'll want to hook the cables up to the RCA inputs labeled SA-CD/CD and use the corresponding button on the remote when you want that input.

One more question if you don't mind. I also have an older DVD/VHS player with just RCA jacks. I assume I would keep the hook ups as they are to the TV and then use optical digital output on TV to digital in on sound bar?

I noticed you stated to hook FM receiver to Sa-CD/CD in..they couldn't go to the TV audio in on the sound bar? What is the purpose of these jacks?

I really need to upgrade everything to HDMI it appears.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplayer111 /forum/post/19659090

One more question if you don't mind. I also have an older DVD/VHS player with just RCA jacks. I assume I would keep the hook ups as they are to the TV and then use optical digital output on TV to digital in on sound bar?

I noticed you stated to hook FM receiver to Sa-CD/CD in..they couldn't go to the TV audio in on the sound bar? What is the purpose of these jacks?

I really need to upgrade everything to HDMI it appears.

To answer your first question, if your TV supports ARC you wouldn't need to run optical out as long as you have the soundbar connected to the TV via HDMI. Without ARC, you will need to use optical from TV to CT150. Which brings me to your second question.

The RCA inputs on the CT that are labeled TV are intended for TVs that don't have optical out. The "TV" button on the remote will look to one or the other for its input. If you don't need to use optical from your TV, you could probably use those RCAs for your receiver instead of the other set. If you are using optical, I think you could not have both the TV and receiver turned on at the same time. I have no way to test all that, nor do I want to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts