AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first I thought this was just an oddity, but now I feel like we can confidently say that Sony is switching to DTS-HD MA beginning with Year One. I find it odd that all the majors, except for Warner and Paramount, are using DTS now.

·
Registered
7,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/17015631

Sweet! Are we sure that Warner will be using DTS-MA from now on or was Watchmen just one of those special releases with it?

[/in before someone says how "its all the same 1's and 0's anyway"]

Just tell them you like your placebo, whether it is better or not becomes immaterial to what sounds better.

I say give us 24bit/96khz 7.1 and let us live in ignorant bliss.

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc /forum/post/17015693

Just tell them you like your placebo, whether it is better or not becomes immaterial to what sounds better.

I say give us 24bit/96khz 7.1 and let us live in ignorant bliss.

*laughs*

So true. Personally, I'd be happier if they went back to using PCM instead of "lossless" anything. But that's me and we are all wacky in our own ways.

Mmmmmm...... 24bit/96khz 7.1.

·
Registered
107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr1 /forum/post/17015615

I thought this might happen after they had a poll on their website awhile back about what people would prefer. I am curious though as to why they are doing it.

People may *think* that DTS = better, and they don't want the perception to be that their releases are inferior.

Of course, DTS is better if you can't access the full lossless stream. I'd wager that this is some 90%+ of BD consumers. Thus, this is a significant upgrade: now people will be getting a robust 1.5 Mbps DTS core, which is nearly as good as the full lossless (DTS claims transparency at this bitrate), instead of a 640 kbps Dolby track that, while an improvement over DVD, is not quite as good.

The point of Blu-ray is that it's a significant increase in quality over DVD. When people see Dolby Digital tracks on Blu-ray, they don't see that as an increase (they don't know the bitrates on all these things). They do know that DTS is an upgrade. If they don't know the difference at all...well, those are the people for which this switch is irrelevant. This move can only make people happy. No one loses anything, save the people with G1 players that cannot access the full DTS-HD MA, and only decode TrueHD, but a whole segment of customers benefits.

It's also probably easier to author. Now they put on track on the disc, and if you have HDMI 1.3, you get DTS-HD MA. If not, you get the DTS core. That's as easy as it gets. The equipment does everything for you automatically. No worrying about shadow tracks, making sure that the default is lossless (although Sony never had an issue with that).

·
Registered
3,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 /forum/post/17015582

At first I thought this was just an oddity, but now I feel like we can confidently say that Sony is switching to DTS-HD MA beginning with Year One. I find it odd that all the majors, except for Warner and Paramount, are using DTS now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr1 /forum/post/17015615

I thought this might happen after they had a poll on their website awhile back about what people would prefer. I am curious though as to why they are doing it.

It probably had something to do with all the propaganda I've been spreading.

I emailed Disney about switching to DTS-MA and they did it. I also wrote an essay(sorta) to HBO about using AVC and 24bit DTS-MA - they so did it.

I'm through with Warner. I don't have a problem with Paramount or Sony, so I left them alone. Effin Universal is going back to VC-1
...but I don't have problems with there VC-1 encodes, so who cares.

So 2 studios are still using VC-1 and 2 are still using TrueHD. Woo-hoo I gots my codec wish mostly granted.
Paramount and Uni don't need to change a thing though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/17015631

Sweet! Are we sure that Warner will be using DTS-MA from now on or was Watchmen just one of those special releases with it?

[/in before someone says how "its all the same 1's and 0's anyway"]

Heat is TrueHD, but I haven't seen specs for any of their non-catalog titles. So there's no telling yet.

I just hope Sony finally finds the 24bit switch by the time District 9 comes out. Wicked sound mix, amazing CG, solid story, R-rated alien violence that isn't just graphic for shock value - Go see it!

·
Registered
8,840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Aurora /forum/post/17016037

It's also probably easier to author. Now they put on track on the disc, and if you have HDMI 1.3, you get DTS-HD MA. If not, you get the DTS core. That's as easy as it gets. The equipment does everything for you automatically. No worrying about shadow tracks, making sure that the default is lossless (although Sony never had an issue with that).

There is nothing easier about encoding either codec...

Dolby TrueHD works the same way... for some reason, some studios decide to default to the lossy "shadow" when there is no reason to do so, and it works the same as DTS-HD (i.e. lossless TrueHD on equipment capable of it, DD if not..)

·
Registered
3,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer /forum/post/17016100

Just a clarification... when using TrueHD they are also "packaged" together....

yeh but they are not piggybacked like dts correct?? the lossless is a extension of the 1.5mb core. I'd think this is a better way then putting two separate audio encodes.

·
Registered
8,840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse /forum/post/17016668

yeh but they are not piggybacked like dts correct?? the lossless is a extension of the 1.5mb core. I'd think this is a better way then putting two separate audio encodes.

Actually, they can be, the authoring house has a choice as to interleave or encode a standalone separate track.

As to whether or not it's a better way (i.e. given content providers a choice) is up for debate. But the codecs are very similar in most ways (dialog norm, flags, etc.) except for the core technology (i.e. core + extension vs. MLP.)

And IMO, the way that Dolby handles 7.1 is much more "idiot" proof than the way in which DTS has enabled an increased channel count.

Before I get accused of being a fan of either codec, however, let me once again say that I've had many films encoded in both formats.... in my experience, neither one offers a sonic advantage over the other.

I'm just glad that most studios have almost exclusively gone lossless, which is good for everybody.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
It was basically announced for the new releases but suprised to see them popping up on the catalog titles. Should have known cause when the titles were announced, they didn't announce the specs.

I know Penton on Blu-Ray.com made a statement about one of the high profile releases coming out in 24bit for the English while the other languages were 16bit. For a studio like Sony it makes sense as they put multiple languages on their releases, to each have their lossless bitstream contain a core as opposed to a separate lossless track.

·
Registered
933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0 /forum/post/17017040

yea i still don't understand some of these studios releasing hd-dvd releases in blu-ray and DOWNGRADE the audio from DD+ to just DD....???

The BR discs generally have the same exact track as their HD-DVD counterparts - it's just that on BR they don't use the "Plus" part of the name.

1 - 20 of 215 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.