AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the BEST software out there for this?

I am currently using Corel's MovieMaker 6 plus and am unhappy with the editing portion of the software and its burning quality on blu-ray discs. By the time the software degrades the HD quality to allow for editing and tries to convert it back, it loses way too much quality and the picture is noisy, choppy, and distorted.

I am VERY happy with the portion of MovieMaker's bundle called "PowerBurn 4.5", but it does not allow for editing, only straight burning. Each file that is burnt must be viewed separately on my PS3 by clicking on each new file. I cant live with that, but its quality is astounding nonetheless. The blu-ray discs I have burn with this part of Corel's software have produced the best quality content ever viewed on my Mitsubishi.

But I must have software that produces quality blu-ray discs, and I at least need the ability to splice the different files so I dont have to click on a new file to view a new video. That gets old quick.

So which is it? I am willing to spend about $100 on download! And I am ONLY interested in using my LG internal blu-ray burner and HP quadcore to burn blu-ray discs only.

Thanks!

·
Registered
393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwd /forum/post/15453558

I am currently using Corel's MovieMaker 6 plus and am unhappy with the editing portion of the software and its burning quality on blu-ray discs. By the time the software degrades the HD quality to allow for editing and tries to convert it back, it loses way too much quality and the picture is noisy, choppy, and distorted.

I think you mean MovieFactory, and it was not really designed for editing. It is basically an authoring software - no wonder you don't like the editing part

Quote:
I am VERY happy with the portion of MovieMaker's bundle called "PowerBurn 4.5", but it does not allow for editing, only straight burning. Each file that is burnt must be viewed separately on my PS3 by clicking on each new file. I cant live with that, but its quality is astounding nonetheless.

But are you just burning the individual video files into a data disc (i.e. no directories structure)? Because a properly authored AVCHD disc should not have this problem.

Anyways, even for a data disc, you do not need to do that.

If you have updated your PS3 to latest firmware 2.53, you will find a new video settings: Settings -> Video Settings -> Sequential Playback; turn it to "ON".

It will then play back all your clips in sequence. Though there is a pause/freeze between each clip.

Quote:
But I must have software that produces quality blu-ray discs, and I at least need the ability to splice the different files so I dont have to click on a new file to view a new video. That gets old quick.

For editing, you really should use their X2 Pro rather than MovieFactory. It can do smart rendering, and your original video quality is retained for unchanged part.

One free utility which can make your edited video files into a proper AVCHD/Blu-Ray format is tsMuxeR. And I use Imgburn to burn the disc.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalak /forum/post/15453689

I think you mean MovieFactory, and it was not really designed for editing. It is basically an authoring software - no wonder you don't like the editing part

But are you just burning the individual video files into a data disc (i.e. no directories structure)? Because a properly authored AVCHD disc should not have this problem.

Anyways, even for a data disc, you do not need to do that.

If you have updated your PS3 to latest firmware 2.53, you will find a new video settings: Settings -> Video Settings -> Sequential Playback; turn it to "ON".

It will then play back all your clips in sequence. Though there is a pause/freeze between each clip.

For editing, you really should use their X2 Pro rather than MovieFactory. It can do smart rendering, and your original video quality is retained for unchanged part.

One free utility which can make your edited video files into a proper AVCHD/Blu-Ray format is tsMuxeR. And I use Imgburn to burn the disc.

You're right; I meant MovieFactory. I also heard, I think from Ken Steadman on this board that X2 has a bug that affects blu-ray burning quality.

I appreciate your advice about the PS3, I'll be sure to try that ASAP. So you don't really use X2 to burn your discs? How much does imgburn cost?

And how complicated is the process you outlined? I am not the greatest at this stuff.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalak /forum/post/15453689

The new X2 will not create a blu ray disk in avchd format.... only mpeg2. If you import/edit avchd and attempt to burn Blu Ray, your work will be re rendered as mpeg2.

This from Corel support:
Quote:
Although Blu-ray player must support MPEG-2, MPEG-4 AVC and SMPTE VC-1, VideoStudio Pro X2 by design uses MPEG-2 as the video format for Blu-ray. As of the moment, VideoStudio Pro X2 doesn't support MPEG-4 AVC and SMPTE VC-1 as the options for a Blu-ray project.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney /forum/post/15454451

The new X2 will not create a blu ray disk in avchd format.... only mpeg2. If you import/edit avchd and attempt to burn Blu Ray, your work will be re rendered as mpeg2.

This from Corel support:

Thank you barney. So what software do you suggest?

I am currently using Powerburn 4.5, part of Corel's Moviefactory and it's content quality is great. But I would like a way to do at least a very little editing such as to just cut out unwanted, wasted portions of family video. Needless to say, I am not willing to sacrifice quality.

·
Registered
393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney /forum/post/15454451

Come on, this is of course not true. If it is AVCHD, it has to be MPEG4/H.264, otherwise it won't be AVCHD. Not sure where you quote that info from, it has to be obsolete.

And yes, X2 Pro can output proper AVCHD, complete with interactive menu and everything. No transcoding required for video files straight from camcorder (for unchanged video).

·
Registered
393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwd /forum/post/15453725

You're right; I meant MovieFactory. I also heard, I think from Ken Steadman on this board that X2 has a bug that affects blu-ray burning quality.

There is an occasional small glitch in video after a transition, where a frame or two is reversed. Not very noticeable to me unless you play it in slow mo, and hopeful a fix would be released from Corel.

Quote:
So you don't really use X2 to burn your discs? How much does imgburn cost?

Imgburn is a freeware, and IMHO, the best disc burning program, period.

If I want to output a final AVCHD from X2 complete with menu, then, I have to use X2 to burn, as it inexplicably cannot output direct to file for AVCHD (others formats allow that).

If I don't need menu, I use X2 to output a m2ts video file, and then prefer to use tsMuxeR to generate a AVCHD formatted files and use Imgburn to burn disc. This is much faster. Most editing software disc burning portion is not that well implemented. It takes a long time and very little info is given as to what the program is doing - just a progress bar. With Imgburn, you are informed every step it is taking. And if something goes wrong, you know where to look.

Quote:
And how complicated is the process you outlined? I am not the greatest at this stuff.

It sounds like a lot of steps, but actually very simple. Both tsMuxeR and Imgburn are available as freeware, small download and not too difficult to use once you tried it out.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts

Quote:
Come on, this is of course not true. If it is AVCHD, it has to be MPEG4/H.264, otherwise it won't be AVCHD. Not sure where you quote that info from, it has to be obsolete.

And yes, X2 Pro can output proper AVCHD, complete with interactive menu and everything. No transcoding required for video files straight from camcorder (for unchanged video).

The quote came DIRECTLY from Corel on or about December 31, 2008... less than a week ago. X2 DOES NOT do avchd to blu ray disk.

http://phpbb.ulead.com.tw/EN/viewtop...0b241cb62c4b2b

·
Registered
393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney /forum/post/15459662

The quote came DIRECTLY from Corel on or about December 31, 2008... less than a week ago. X2 DOES NOT do avchd to blu ray disk.

In that case, we are talking about two different things then.

AVCHD refers to DVD media, there is no such thing as AVCHD on Blu-Ray. You are referring to AVC/MPEG4 on Blur-Ray, in which case I cannot comment as I do not have a Blur-Ray burner.

To danielwd: if you want to maintain original quality on Blu-Ray burning, then using tsMuxeR + Imgburn on edited m2ts video files should work.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalak /forum/post/15460490

AVCHD refers to DVD media, there is no such thing as AVCHD on Blu-Ray. You are referring to AVC/MPEG4 on Blur-Ray, in which case I cannot comment as I do not have a Blur-Ray burner.

To danielwd: if you want to maintain original quality on Blu-Ray burning, then using tsMuxeR + Imgburn on edited m2ts video files should work.

Are you sure the FREE portion of Imgburn burns to blu-ray disc? It seemed to me that only the paid version does.

Notice the following from their webiste:

"This CD recording software is free...

We make Express Burn free in the hope you will like it so much you will decide to upgrade to Express Burn Plus. The Plus version includes Video DVD burning and the ability to burn Data DVD and Blu-ray discs."

http://www.nch.com.au/burn/index.htm...FQRkswod80qCCw

Or maybe I'm just reading it wrong. I like to do that you know. Either way, I guess its worth a wack. It is free. I'll try it soon and report back.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalak /forum/post/15460490

Is that right?

Then how come there is a avchd Blu Ray template (1440 and 1920) in My Sony Vegas Pro... (which I do use BTW because I do have a Blu Ray burner)

Maybe there is some confusion here. From what I gather the OP is looking to create REAL blu ray disks:
Quote:
So which is it? I am willing to spend about $100 on download! And I am ONLY interested in using my LG internal blu-ray burner and HP quadcore to burn blu-ray discs only.

If this is the case, then again... X2 is not the ideal program.... it can only do mpeg2 to blu ray diak.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Pinnacle 12 ultimate burns dvds, avchd, and blu ray discs fine for me until i put interactive menus on them then it does not want to know as export failier cames up within a second or so of the start of the render.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus /forum/post/15461498

Pinnacle 12 ultimate burns dvds, avchd, and blu ray discs fine for me until i put interactive menus on them then it does not want to know as export failier cames up within a second or so of the start of the render.

But the big problem with Pinnacle and the Sr11/12 cams is that Pinnacle will not import a 5.1 surround file (AC3) without downmixing it to stereo.

From my perspective so far (I don't know about the wonderful world of Apple) the only real, universal, and as complete-as-possible solution in the PC world is Sony Vegas Pro (and I don't mean the cut down B&H version). It'll do avchd disks (not the best for this though), Blu Ray in mpeg2, avchd, full menus, 1440, 1920, 60i, 24p, comes with a certified dolby encoder, will do uncompressed multi channel WAV, free access to the new 64 bit version (vegas 8.1).... etc.... etc.

But it will cost you..... and frankly.... it's worth it.

·
Registered
297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney /forum/post/15461619

From my perspective so far (I don't know about the wonderful world of Apple) the only real, universal, and as complete-as-possible solution in the PC world is Sony Vegas Pro (and I don't mean the cut down B&H version).

My experience too. I have tried a variety of software (Ulead and CyberLink) to name two examples and have run into a variety of problems when trying to author AVCHD files at 1080i and 5.1 sound.

At present, I use Sony Platinum 9.0 which is great for editing but doesn't allow BR menu creation. For that, you'll need Sony Architect Pro 5.0 which comes bundled with Sony Vegas Pro (and as Barney notes, it is pricey.)

If you simply want to copy files to burn a simple BR disc with a simple menu then Picture Motion Browser (which comes bundled with the SR11/12) is fine.

BTW, I don't have a particularly fast laptop.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney /forum/post/15461619

But the big problem with Pinnacle and the Sr11/12 cams is that Pinnacle will not import a 5.1 surround file (AC3) without downmixing it to stereo.

From my perspective so far (I don't know about the wonderful world of Apple) the only real, universal, and as complete-as-possible solution in the PC world is Sony Vegas Pro (and I don't mean the cut down B&H version). It'll do avchd disks (not the best for this though), Blu Ray in mpeg2, avchd, full menus, 1440, 1920, 60i, 24p, comes with a certified dolby encoder, will do uncompressed multi channel WAV, free access to the new 64 bit version (vegas 8.1).... etc.... etc.

But it will cost you..... and frankly.... it's worth it.

5.1 does not worry me i use my rode stereo mike with all my cams it is the problems with menus which is why i use my vaio and its built in software for all discs.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am not interested in sound capabilities, I am really not. I am interested in picture quality. As long as I can hear something from my home videos and be able to tell what is going on, I am happy.

As of now, I think I will sit and spin with Corel's MovieFactory and use PowerBurn 4.5 which gives excellent results in quality when burning AVCHD to blu-ray disc (in what I can see full 1920 by 1080 output). The only problem is the lack of editing available to me. But really, I'm just going to pick out the video I want from my new baby (when he comes, which hopefully is soon) and burn it onto blu-ray. If there is some dumb parts with camera waving and jittering, so be it. I mean for heaven's sake, I do not have the time or energy to make a professional production. I just want the cleanest, crispest video quality with sound, and I cant afford downloading software for more than $100. Actually MovieFactory only costed me $50 and I still have 3 weeks to return if I dont want it. At least I have a simple way to get what I want, even if I have to put up with a few seconds of a ground shot.

By the way, its a BOY!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also recently got a SR11 and started looking into AVCHD disk creation.

I tried PMB (Picure Motion Browser), bundled with the SR11, and I would say it works fine but with some limitation:

1. Cannot join video clips in one single file (big problem for me as I always and up with lot's of 30s to few minutes clips).

2. You cannot title the single clips on the disc. they keep the date/time so the AVCHD disk menu it's kind of a mess especially when you have many clips (see #1 above...)

Other than that, PMB worked well in importing files and creating AVCHD discs with menus very quickly (no rendering) that reads on my panny BD35 and PS3. I also created a normal DVD that also was of good quality ,relatively quickly considering the down-conversion to MPEG2.

I was really annoyed by #1 so after calling Sony support and they told me to...use Vegas movie. I downloaded the platinum trial version (amazon has it now for ~$89) and started playing around with it.

Immediately I realized that even to create (export) a single AVCHD file out of multiple files Vegas re-render everything taking hours (I have a AMD X2 4.6GHz) that seems a little inefficient....

To join the files I also tried TsMuxer without success but that is a whole different topic or thread

I still have to try the DVD/AVCHD authoring capabilities of Vegas.

-Sav

·
Registered
393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoca01 /forum/post/15466590

Immediately I realized that even to create (export) a single AVCHD file out of multiple files Vegas re-render everything taking hours (I have a AMD X2 4.6GHz) that seems a little inefficient....

This is my main complaints about Vegas, it cannot do smart rendering.

And it is not just time wasted, it would inevitably degrade video somewhat. This is totally unnecessary if what you want is to join a few clips together.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The no 1 software for me is Nero Vision. It does everything you asked flawlesly and it's fast THX to smart rendering !

1 - 20 of 28 Posts