AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just another example of why HDTV is having trouble getting off the ground.

I went into the Sony Store on Madison Avenue last night and asked if they had a Sony HD STB. I was told that Sony doesn't yet make an HD STB and that Sony wants to "get it right" before putting a box on the market. He also mentioned that the only HD STBs out there now are over $2000. I told him that he was just wrong on many accounts. First, the store may not have any boxes in stock, but the box is available publicly. I got a blank stare. Then I told him that there are a number of boxes that are handle HD OTA HD DirecTV for under $1000, including the cheapest box, the RCA for around $500. He started mumbling something about not thinking this was right and then turned his attention to another customer mid-sentence.

Its no wonder the general public is not educated about HDTV. Just wanted to share as I walked out of there shaking my head.

My next stop was Nobody Beats The Wiz, a store notorious for its clueless sales reps. However, The Wiz had the RCA, Mits, Tosh and Sony boxes in stock and the sales rep seemed to know a thing or two about the boxes. No misinformation. However, they didn't have the Sony box on display yet. If I'm going to bash the Sony Store, I might as well give credit where credit is due.

-Brett

·
Registered
235 Posts
I beleive you. I have received simular responses at Circuit City and B.B. from sales people. I have even been told on a couple of occasions that there are no OTA channels being broadcast at this time. Of course I know that is not true.

But I can't stop wondering how many potential customers have been turned away from buying a HDTV and STB because of misinformation and are not as self informed as most of us in this forum.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had the same response from the Sony store in NYC last week. I was going to question them about the next gen TV's with iLink/firewire, but thought better of it.

Dave

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Two years ago I was in there and the guy was trying to convince some nice folks that Sonys 53" XBR RPTV was in fact a HDTV set. I waited for the sales person to leave and I told these people that he was wrong.

- Jerry

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
davebach,

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually purchased my DVD player from them about 2 1/2 years ago. I may stop by to see the Sony in action. I currently own the Mits HD400, but I'm always looking for bigger and better.

-Brett

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bsd:
Just another example of why HDTV is having trouble getting off the ground.

I went into the Sony Store on Madison Avenue last night and asked if they had a Sony HD STB

-Brett

These are the same people who spoke out against 8vsb because they couldn't receive it with an indoor antenna. Yup, I'll bet they get NTSC just fine on the first floor of a Madison high rise too.

This is very discouraging.

·
Registered
33,594 Posts
If you guys recall, I've posted on several occasions how ignorant the Sony sales people are regarding their own products at Sony Plaza. Its absolutely staggering they know so little about hi def.

On the other hand, I've had good experience with the Wiz. I've bought a lot of high end stuff from them over the years, and there are a few knowledgeable people in some of the stores (but certainly not in all of them). Carle Place is a good store within the chain.

·
Registered
713 Posts
When I was on the market trying to buy my DTC-100, it was one of the most frustrating experiences of my life! I finally found a guy at the Wiz who understood exactly what it was that I was trying to do. I could practically hear the angels singing in the background!

Rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.